Close

Default Newer efi tank in my 79 coupe

Hi guys. Im in the process of swapping a efi tank into my 79 coupe. Ive ordered the tank, grommet for the filler neck, pump hanger, grommet for vent valve, 86 sender, efi tank mounting straps, and a hfp pump. Couple questions i havent found answers to, and yes i have searched. Lol. Ive read the filler neck itself is bigger on the 79-81 tanks and wont fit into the tank. Another thread i read said theyre the same. Which is it? Do i need to change the plastic housing the neck bolts onto if i do need a efi neck, and what about the rubber gasket that goes around the neck to seal out stuff from getting into your trunk. Is the rubber gasket different? Can i use the vent valve out of my old 79 tank in the new efi tank? Thanks for any help.

FEP Supporter

I can't answer the question about the filler neck but I know the 79's had smaller tanks. I believe most replacements are the larger, leter ones so you may have massaging and minor mods to do to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Just looking and I see American Muscle only has 81-86 non-EFI tanks. Nothing earlier. Maybe due to a size change.

From the library

1979 (Canada): 10.4 Imperial gallons
    Attachment 74626

1979 (US): 12.5 US gallons

Assuming the tank I got is 1984: (Canada) 12.8 imperial gallons

Assuming the tank I got is 1984: (US) 15.4 US gallons
    Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    They are 12.5 gallon tanks and you can get new tanks for the 79-80 made by spectra if I remember correctly. The later tanks will fit but you have to massage the trunk floor for the hump in the newer tanks. You also have to move the straps or lenghten them something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Ive saw in other post that some massaging of the spare tire well is needed and that i will have to fab up some brackets for the newer straps to work. Just really curious about the filler neck. Im looking at some newer ones on ebay but dont wanna waste my money on it if its not needed.

The tank is larger. The filler neck is a giant see you next Tuesday to get in I'm stretching the bujesus out of mine with a large socket.I'm using the 79 straps, you just need to reshape them a little. The right side strap has been moved right the width of the strap, I'm still working on that one. And I think there is some issue with sender resistance values over the years, I have not yet addressed that . Left side strap goes right on. As far as massaging the floor, I have not done that but I can appreciate the desire. And I cannot find a bushing for the early filler. I have a newer filler neck side by side and I don't think that's the easy way. Hope that helps
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 03-11-2017 at 02:04 PM.

So your saying the 79 filler neck and the efi necks are the same or no? Sorry but im confused.

The 79 filler neck is bigger and has a 4 hole mount vs. a 3 hole mount on the later. For reference I'm comparing to a 90. I tried to get a pic,but it wouldn't turn out in the dark

Ok thanks. I saw a efi neck with all the parts on ebay earlier. Looks like ill have to grab it up.

Name:  1489330698411590006661.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  82.5 KBlike this one? $15 plus shipping.

I may have found one local to me. Ill let you know if i dont get it.