Close

Default Transmission type confirmation...German ET ? (with photos)

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure which transmission my 79 Mustangs have.
    From what I could find, they would be the German ET 4 speed RUD transmission.

First car :

Second car :

Thanks !

That's it!

See
    Sebastian339 "Shifter recomendation. Mustang 1980 4 cyl 2.3 N/A 4 speed MT"

RUG. Both SROD's and the ET 78 shared the same gearbox code stamping on the gearbox tag, but the sub code was different. Kind of like the Turbo sharing the same engine VIN code.

FoMoCo did that kinda stuff rather a lot.

The door post codes defines the kind of RUG transmission

Basically the Taunus/Granada Type E "Rocket" 4 speed with the Sierra T9 3 bolt shifter and IIRC, the V6 roller bearings.

You can make that iron case cope with 250 PS, and 280 kg-m.

They came with odd, wide ratios to suit the heavier than Taunus, as the 2.3 was both less powerfull than the 2.0 Cologne V6 and the EAO Pinto 2.0 OHC and even the 2V 1.6. 88 hp didn't go very far.

A Mustang II and Fox were significantly heavier than the Taunus, Euro Capri, and about the same as the 2 liter Granada Mk II.

If you want to swap it with the Sierra or Scorpio 5 speed, you just have to find a 7.625 Merkur input shaft, install the Quaife Quick shift, add a new shifter saddle in nylon or brass, and you'll probably be able to shift the cross memeber back a little for it to all fit in.

As it is, any 4 speed needs V6 2.8 Granada ratios to be any more fun. The CAFE fuel figures forced the Americans in to some pretty sad gear ratio choices for the 4 speed 2.3's.

MTX175 might fit with a little work.

Allright, thanks !

Which clutch would be best in that selection ? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lutch+kit,1993

That is an interesting question regarding clutch choice. I am interested in hearing the answer, too.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Good question. Any list 8.5" 23 spline 1" input clutch disk will work with the Fox 2.3, but the 2.0 EAO and 2.3 Lima have different crank to flywheel bolt patterns for the pressure plate. US Merkur T9 and ET78's, same.

Ranger ones don't work.

EG from mild....https://www.summitracing.com/int/par.../all/make/ford
    to wild...https://www.summitracing.com/int/par.../all/make/ford

Since 2.3 Turbo's used upgraded clutch, clutch controls, SR4's, or T5 gearboxes, they are 10 spline 1-1/16" input clutches. Some T140's may have had a different kind.

Since you have both 2.8's and 2.3's, its important to know what won't fit, whats different, and then what will fit becomes easy.

All American Mustang II/Fox 2.8's have a 9-1/2" disk with with 10 spline 1-1/16" input. Pessure plates are rare, European Capri 2.6/2.8 plates for Cologne V6's can be used if Mustang II 2.8 ones aren't around, but they don't cope as well with a heavier car. Hollinger interchange is your only hope. Clutch pressure plate crossovers for Ford V6

Probe 1988-92 TURBO 135 cubic inch 9 1/2, 1990-92 3.0L 186 cubic inch 9 1/2 Mustang Mustang II 1974-79 2.8L 9 1/2 Fox Capri/Mustang 1979 2.8L (171 cubic inch) Engine 9 1/2, Cologne Capri 1972-78 159 cubic inch (2600cc), 171" (2800cc) Engine 9 1/2

1980 Foxes with a 200 cubic inch 3.3L engine has a 9" disk with 10 spline 1-1/16" input . People who use the Early Bronco clutch, which is 9-1/4", are unable to release it as it collides with the C7 Fox bellhousing. Standard diaphram clutches are common, and all the same for 9 to 9-1/4" clutches.

Be carefull.

Common with all Ford clutches, sometimes the throwout bearing needs to be exchanged for a different size onlong its length; sometimes the bigger 9" clutches hit the bellhousing, preventing release. There are machining issues to do with the flywheel.

There are some small differences in parts, and one of martin660's clutch hubs was a little taller than others and hit the end of the bearing retainer. Simple fix was to have .060 taken off the end of the retainer to get it free and add clearance.

I've ordered my parts yesterday night :/ I chose this clutch : https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1133097&jsn=14
    I hope it will be fine now after all you've explained !

My V6 Mustangs has an auto transmission so no clutch needed for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    I've ordered my parts yesterday night :/ I chose this clutch : https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1133097&jsn=14
    I hope it will be fine now after all you've explained !

My V6 Mustangs has an auto transmission so no clutch needed for this one.
    Good fortune with it.

Or good Luk (my poor English!)

Ha ha, nice.

For sure!. I've have had auto Colgne V6's, and knew yours was auto, but for 79's, if you call and ask, on goes the subliminal mind fubar of American cars...

What American model year
    Turbo or non turbo
    What trans

Without that info, you'll be looking for a 8.5, 8.875, 8.89, 9, 9.125 9.25 or 9.5 clutch with
    the wrong spline number,
    wrong spline diameter,
    wrong clutch to flywheel bolt pattern.

That's why it took me 11 days to reply...

Its okay if you have a 2.3 Lima and have done the swap...I've only done 1.3 Kents, 2.0 Pinto fours, 2.3/2.8 Cologne V6's, and foreign weird Australian Ford stufff...like six cylinder and V8 1966, 1971 and 1979 Falcons. They all differ a lot, because they buy in best price goods, and if the price is low enough, change the spline, flywheel and clutch to suit.