Close

New User

Default Best budget-ish heads?

Hello... Since I have my engine all torn apart (again!), I'm looking to replace the heads since its been something I've wanted to do since I bought the car anyway. However, I would like to keep the price around $600... more than GT40Ps, but it seems as it is less than anything else worthwile. Wondering if anybody has any recommendations or experiences to share? I've done quite a bit of looking and it seems the only thing that comes close to fitting the bill is custom machined heads for sale on Ebay... not sure if thats what I want. I have stock pistons.

Look for used local and on places like Racing Junk. Old Canfields, Iron Eagles, etc. can be had cheap, relatively speaking. I've seen new old stock cast iron TFS Street Heats bring as little as 400/pair bare on ebay.

By the time you have them freshened and a good set of springs installed I think the GT40 stuff is about all there is under $600. It does seem like 850 gets you in the range of used usable aluminum heads.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I bought my TFS TW heads for like $750 used. Still in good shape. I'd save a few more pennies if I were you and get myself a set of TFS heads.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Used heads can, and more times than not, end up costing you more than just saving up for a new set. I bought a used set of Twisted Wedge heads that were made in the early 2000's. Unbeknownst to me, the valve train was beat pretty bad. By the time it was all sorted out I was in for more than a new set, but I had all good stuff setup specifically for my cam. This was after dropping $600-700 to make a set of worn out P heads correct. I made the mistake again on the TF's. I had over 2 grand in both of those heads combined. That would have bought a really nice set of new heads the first time, but I was stubborn and thought I was saving money with the initial cost of the used heads.

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless you know the history of the used heads, save up a little longer for a new set you know are good. Your wallet and mind will thank you later on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cheapest I've seen is the occasional junkyard - you wrench it - score. Every now and then one of the old crown Vic's or birds or Cougars or mustangs or even F series or E series end up there with something decent still attached.

A good friend scored a nice pair of heads that way. Fresh paint was a tell tail that someone had just been there. The rod out the oil pan made it clear the top end was a bit much for the bottom end..... He completely disassembled them and cleaned them, checked for bent valves bad guides worn seats, etc. Heads were recently surfaced and very straight. all checked out so he lapped in all the valves put in new seals and new springs. Rare success story but it happens......

Havibg a nack for telling good junk from bad helps

Anyone have any experience with Flo-tek or Promaxx heads? I see they're around $800 for a set. A little more than what Tempest is wanting to spend, but still way less than AFR, Edelbrock, and TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Flo-tek or Promaxx heads? I see they're around $800 for a set. A little more than what Tempest is wanting to spend, but still way less than AFR, Edelbrock, and TF.
    I've always wanted to try the Promaxx heads from Skip White to see how they perform. They getthe castings bare and assemble them with descent hardware, but I'm still leary on the chinese castings.

The easiest thing to do having stock pistons is try to locate a low mileage pair of GT40P heads check them out and install some drop in springs from Alexsparts.com I had a pair milled .030 and put the Alex springs in with new seals, and E cam and went 12.50's@ 110 with them. I had roughly $350 in those heads. Deals are out there it just takes a little time and patience. Gool luck!
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I've always wanted to try the Promaxx heads from Skip White to see how they perform. They getthe castings bare and assemble them with descent hardware, but I'm still leary on the chinese castings.

The easiest thing to do having stock pistons is try to locate a low mileage pair of GT40P heads check them out and install some drop in springs from Alexsparts.com I had a pair milled .030 and put the Alex springs in with new seals, and E cam and went 12.50's@ 110 with them. I had roughly $350 in those heads. Deals are out there it just takes a little time and patience. Gool luck!
    Seems to me that some chinese heads like those would flow better than gt4o's. My engine builder says he prefers the afr's and trickflow heads, but for a budget build, the chinese heads are ok as long as they are purchased as blanks and completed by a reputable shop. That's exactly what he does. He buys blanks and checks them out before doing a valve job. He said he could build me some decent heads for around $850.

Some of the ebay heads claim to be exactly as I described, although, who knows if that's what they're doing. I found a seller on ebay the other day selling some for around $800 and as it turns out, they're only an hour or so from me. I might just give them a call and see what they say.

I've kept my eyes on those Skip White, if I have the need for something cheap I'd try them out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371702331595...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I got a set of Eldebrocks from craigslist for a decent price. Make sure you have a good knowledge of what your looking at and or take someone with you that does. Clean and fresh looking can be a expensive deception. Ask me how I know. Geeeesh.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    I've kept my eyes on those Skip White, if I have the need for something cheap I'd try them out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371702331595...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    If I ever get a good chunk of change I'll try them out for chits and giggles.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153