Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help needed for the Hertz SVO

So as many of you know, I had been up and down about selling or fixing up my Hertz SVO, well after a few months of driving the car, I have feel head of heels for this car. I'd rather die than sell it, I love it so much, they way it curves and everybody compliments this car everywhere I go in it. After several hours behind the wheel I have come to appreciate and understand why people hold these cars so near and dear to their heart. I have done quite alot of cosmetic work to the car since I got it and although i am not much of a mechanic I have worked hard to learn and have done alot of it myself, which makes me even prouder of the car as it comes along. Here is where I need some input, I have these parts in my cart right now and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and just wanted to see if you guys felt this would be a good solid route towards my HP goal and also tasteful in nature. So here is my parts list. Boport Stage 3 upper and lower intake manifold's ported, polished and gutted with MAF from SN95, PE computer from 86 SVO, 42lb EV1 Bosch Injectors, Stainless Steel Header and 3" downpipe full length to CAT. I have chose to put the car in the 350 to 400 RWHP range. I do want to keep the car streetable and fun, I plan to keep the exterior completely stock in appearance but I wanted it to run with the big boys and have a much stronger exit out of corners. If you guys can give me a general idea where this would put me, I would be thankful! I chose these add-ons as it would keep it very factory looking under the hood with the exception of the stainless headers.Name:  15977170_1364575616928630_1008881446468437470_n.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  103.3 KB

Oh yeah, the car is bone stock with the exception of cat delete and has 2.5 inch duels from where cat was running thru 4o series flows. Nothing else has been done to car. Any other nice power adders other than what I mentioned would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

With all the go-fast goodies you are planning on, the next step would be a PiMP system to replace either the factory EEC (TE or PE). I have not used it personally, but a friend of mine with an aero turbo's notch has it and speaks very highly of this......

The PiMP will allow for much better tuning of the combo. And you should also double check your injectors. They may be on the small size for the HP goal you are trying to attain. Just a hunch more than anything else.

Your best bet would be to join both TurboFord and SVOCOP. There are guys on both of those sites that have made serious HP. I started down the increase HP track once but never got to my goal and opted more for reliability than HP since my car is more of a daily driver.

Good luck!

That's great that you are truly enjoying the SVO you have purchased.

Looks like you have a lot of plans for modifications to your SVO.

Given the fact that you continue to refer to this SVO as a "Hertz SVO" due to its prior history I am curious as to WHY you would want to "Modify" so heavily this SVO with the prior history that makes this SVO unique in a sea of common SVO's with little to no prior history making most SVO's no different that the next one in line?
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Vintage Racer, other than the header, it will retain it's stock appearance under the hood. Since it is my car and I'm the one that has to enjoy it day to day, I wanted to add enough HP to make me happy and as you stated all these cars are basically the same, almost cookie cutter, so I chose to keep the exterior stock in appearance, but basically with the exception of some glass etching and being a 1 0f 60 to have been drove by 10,000 hertz car renters, it's the same SVO that everyone else has. I will retain all the stock parts and if someone wants to make it back original if I ever sell it, they can. One thing about owning a car is the ability to make it your own. I think it is important to make a car your own I may upgrade the turbo itself, possibly the cam and cylinder head, other than that, I am just going to enjoy the fact that I have a cool car and make it my own, without causing any harm the can't be unbolted. JTURBO, I'm gonna look into the PIMP system, hope it's not terribly expensive, the previous listed parts were about 1G and I still a few other odds and ends. And I know it's not the exact correct license plate holder, but Name:  17200931_1426243904095134_4955325190197130551_n.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  82.9 KBI couldn't resist it.
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 03-07-2017 at 11:19 AM.

GREAT!!!

Enjoy your car!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

JTurbo, I thought about the injector size, didn't think they would be the best for down the road, didn't know if I could go ahead and install 60lb now as it it and still drive it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 85SVOHERTZ View Post
    SoBoport Stage 3 upper and lower intake manifold's ported, polished and gutted with MAF from SN95, PE computer from 86 SVO, 42lb EV1 Bosch Injectors, Stainless Steel Header and 3" downpipe full length to CAT.
    I really struggle with your parts list.

First question is how do you plan to tune the EEC for that MAF and 42# injectors? Even further, on the PE EEC?

Who's header are you planning on? SS is very broad, and there is some real junk out there that will kill your love affaire REAL quick if you are pulling it constantly to fix cracks.

Also be careful and research vendors before sending them your money blindly. Even more life sucking is paying someone and not getting your parts for a long time.

I'm not sure what is guiding you on this path, but warn there could be some real expensive lessons in what you propose.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

martin0660, most of what I've gathered has been from multiple forums dealing with 2.3 turbos. I don't have all the answers which
    is why I posted on here for advice. I was planning on running a sn95 MAF with the setup. The header I'm still on a crossroad
    with as I don't know if I should use a worked e6 or go stainless header and a 3" Downpipe is going to be a for sure
    add on also. Input is greatly appreciated as this is my first 2.3 Lima and I have never been accused of being a mechanic. I do love this car thou and want it start putting it in shows by summer hopefully if I can get it up to speed.
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 03-07-2017 at 05:56 PM.

One thing I am having a problem with is finding a cylinder head and Cam setup. Any info in that direction would be great as well.

I was planning on running a sn95 MAF with the setup.
    The question is, how do you plan to accomplish this? It's NOT plug and play into a stock EEC in any way. It can be done with a chip and something like quarterhorse and binary editor software, but the "community" has long ago moved on from that and support is very thin. You mentioned a PE, and most of the better definition files are for the LA series stuff. My main point is by the time you source the EEC, The tuner, the software, even if you have the MAF, you still have a fair amount of $$'s, and end up with a MAF tuned combo that will be troublesome. I lived it 5 or more years ago, I had mine as blow through mass air and it was just frustrating. The bulk of he 2,3 world runs MegaSquirt based solutions ... cost effective, speed density based (no maf), and mot importantly, a wide range of support options.

On the header, if a ported E6 will support your power goals, it's substantially less trouble than any of the tubular headers. Any of the "commercially available one" (IE: eBAY, others) are thin wall and will crack. I'm making 500 RWHP on a pipe ell log header.
    Bob Myers ©

One thing I am having a problem with is finding a cylinder head and Cam setup. Any info in that direction would be great as well.
    Heads and cams, really limited options: Esslinger, call them and they can set up whatever you may want from ported iron to all out race aluminum and in between. They also have several cams that are very turbo friendly ... the 2277 cam is a solid choice, but head needs seal clearance for that much lift. They also have what they call a 450 cam for stock valve geometry.

Schnieder has done a lot of good 2.3 stuff for people. Call them, tell them your goals, and they will grind it for you.

Heads are tougher, Mine was done by Tim Ottinger, a work of art, but you have to reach out to him.
    Bob Myers ©

I know I'm getting into tough territory, but I hope it will not be to troublesome. The reason I got the PE, Injectors and larger mass air first, was to get close to the spec of the 85.5. Maybe call it baby steps, my next purchase is the fully ported, polished and knife edged upper and lower and exhaust manifold/header. While at this point if I'm going to have the head done, it would probably be the best time since I will have stuff taken off of it already. I will check with some of the places you told me about, to see about a cam and larger valves, I would like a nice street combination. I'm not going crazy, just trying to get to that 350-400hp range.

In my opinion the statements "nice street combination" and "350-400Hp" are counter productive for an SVO or any pinto/lima based 2.3. Keep in mind that the terminator made 390HP and that was with twice the displacement and a supercharger. Another friend of mine in the SVO world had as his signature "cheap, fast, reliable - pick any 2".

I've even seen Huber's car {not exactly a stock 2.3} dyno at >700HP: https://youtu.be/SOAyQGUvsy8 and https://youtu.be/hVFSjJras4s

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but be prepared for an interesting ride.

Also, I re-read your parts list above. What I thought was a Boport stage 3 head/cam was an intake setup. You will really need to get something done with the stock head which may open another can of worms. Depending on the history of your car, the head may not be worthy of extensive machine work. There are durability issues of the stock iron port head that have caused many donors to be scrapped after being magnafulxed....

My advice is listen to Bob's recommendations. He's the real deal - someone that has modified his Capri RST to achieve some impressive results. Chat with Brian R, another guy that has done it with his turbo Ranger (RIP). Join TurboFord, and the companion FB group. There are knowledgeable group of guys that have lots of real world experience.

JT

I follow what your saying JT, I have a lot ahead of me, The cylinder head/cam seems to be one of my hangups, also getting an appropriate tune. Also I just found out the wiring involved to swtich to my MAF. I know I have a lot to learn and it is getting more painfully obvious each day, but I will continue until I am happy to where I get the car too. Who knows I might be at 275hp and think the car is perfect for me, but I won't know until I get to each point in my upgrades. I'm gonna do the PE and injectors this weekend and possibly the Boport improved intakes. My next move is my computer setup/Tune setup that I need to run for the car, I'm currently looking at Mega SQT, PIMP and a few other options. I am fairly tech savy, where I lack in mechanical ability and may actually enjoy the tune portion of the build. I am always reading posts and love input from other members. I like to hear from others that have already been there done that as opposed to getting surprised when something don't work or fit. I feel my HP goals are not extreme they seem kinda middle of the road, they may be overkill I feel I will know more as I start seeing how the car drives and feels at each step of the upgrades. I'm not looking to be smoking C5's, just wanting a car that can hold it's own and makes me smile when I nail the pedal. One thing about it, I've been away for two weeks and I am getting ready to travel back home and can't wait to take it out for a drive. I have really missed my SVO. It's funny how my perception of the car has changed with some seat time. Ford really had it together when the produced this car.
    Last edited by 85SVOHERTZ; 03-10-2017 at 10:51 AM.

A guy I know told me that if I left my SVO stock, I'd be the happiest SVO owner.
    The only thing I changed is the exhaust. I put 3" back to the muffler and the 2-1/2" over the axle. Also eliminated the cat. Just that made a nice improvement.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    A guy I know told me that if I left my SVO stock, I'd be the happiest SVO owner.
    The only thing I changed is the exhaust. I put 3" back to the muffler and the 2-1/2" over the axle. Also eliminated the cat. Just that made a nice improvement.
    That's all I have basically in '86 also but with a Flowmaster muffler set up. It was there when I bought it I'm pretty happy with my stock SVO also at this point with the drivability and the performance. While a few extra horses would be nice, I can live with 215 for now. I really don't think heavy modifications are even an option for me.

I'm interested in what you are planning 85SVOHERTZ because I have a 1986 SVO parts car with a full drivetrain (needing rebuilding) and electrical system that I want to harvest and put in an early car.

Similar to these but with a little of what you are thinking:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...to-log.270925/

Plus SVOC's project on SVOCOP:

https://www.svocop.com/forum/showthr...urbo-4-Project

(Sad both of these were 2.8 79's, we really think ours is cool!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

**Update**. SVO is now in my possession. No mods were done with the engine except removal of stock air cleaner housing and manual bcv done by previous owner. It will get light restoration for now and will remain as original as possible. Trim as been painted back to svo standard as well as bumper molding painted proper gray. Next will be wheel resto and paint job. Then it'll be a wrap! Done!
    Last edited by svojayG; 07-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Welcome to FEP!

Glad to hear that the car will be kept original... please keep us updated and of course pictures are always welcome!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Power Member

I too am glad to here it went to a good home.
    Kendal

Thanks guys. It was a total impulse buy but couldn't pass up the opportunity. Car drives great with no issues. I forgot how good a stock Svo drives!!!

Welcome to FEP Jay. Glad you ended up with it. You should share the details of the rest of your fleet.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Before trim painted Name:  IMG_0448.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  135.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast