Close

Default You ever get honked at for stopping at a red light?

Is it only the drivers around here that will honk at you for stopping at a red light, or does this happen everywhere?

I'm talking specifically about "free right turns". There are several intersections on my daily commute where it is impossible to see if cars are coming so I wait for the light to turn green before making my right turn. This extra 10 - 20 second wait infuriates the drivers behind me. Is getting to the next red light 10 - 20 second sooner really worth risking your life? I suppose with all these new "safe" cars they could get T-boned and walk away from it so it's no big deal.

Default You ever get honked at for stopping at a red light?

I admit, I do get impatient at being behind someone who is unwilling to turn at a red light when it is lawful to do so and keeps traffic moving along. Usually I find its people just taking a free moment to stare at their phone at the expense of my time. The kind of people that forget there's a world behind them. Whether it's 10 seconds or 2 minutes-it's my time. I don't lean on my horn, but I do get annoyed.

Not saying this is always the case. If an intersection is very dangerous, I can see using caution. But that is less often the case.
    Last edited by vxr500; 03-06-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

In the south the southerners are too nice to honk. Plus if you honk you are likely to get shot!

Hate to say it but we have a lot of drivers moving in from WA and MI. They tend to always be in a hurry and some consider them rude.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Hey they are more important. High level job. Focus is push everything.
    We are in low old cars. Low end of ladder. They are up there.
    Most are courteous. New or older drivers are more tolerant most cases.
    Bikers don't honk either. Nor do they get honked at.

MI- yes they are rude with the clean leased 400 hp suv always in a hurry with too much on the plate of life.
    Usually dressed up pushy white alpha female 25-45 or weekend mall shoppers.
    Gotta get home before those fries harden up rock solid.
    Or the type A Ram pickup tailgating freeway driver.
    All usually on the phone. Always 5+ over limit. Or 40 in a 55.
    Rare to not get cut off at least once per trip.

No right turn on red arrow? Make them go around. 99% blow thru anyway. Means nothing to them.
    They could run their car on the steam from under their collar.

Situation, road conditions, do not matter
    All of the above posts plus:

On ramp, merging onto freeway traffic.
    Traffic jam stop and go
    Anytime when putting car in gear when light goes green, like when making a green arrow left.
    This is not the Christmas tree on a drag strip. What if someone in the cross traffic blows the red?
    Like a ricer bike?

Do not make a gap to let cars from driveways cross stopped traffic. Right to left, to the opposite traveling lanes.
    They will try to nose in anyway and obstruct traffic after a minute or 2 as if its a 4 way stop rule.
    Is very scary. Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.
    That is not courtesy. A bad decision imposing risks to other drivers who know better.
    Let them wait until traffic clears.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-07-2017 at 07:24 PM.

A red light means stop, regardless of what you are planning on doing. You pull up, stop, check to make sure intersection is clear by looking both ways, then you make your right turn.

That's the law. Anything else is just you being an impatient asshole.
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

You may make a right turn on red after stopping, where lawful. I know of no laws, anywhere, that require you to turn on red. (I do get impatient, at times though, with the "timid, incompetent" driver who doesn't turn when they can.)

Mike

A couple idiots did this to me last summer. I stopped at the red light, right turn signal indicator on, checked and could not go due to oncoming traffic through the intersection... immediate HONK behind me, and a top-of-the-lungs yelled out "GO"... lucky for them I had to be somewhere, 'er I mighta held them up ALOT longer with the conversation that was obviously necessary for brain-dead IDIOTS!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Everybody's in such a hurry. I love it when I'm driving the speed limit or perhaps a little above, and they come up behind me, tailgate for a bit then blow around me at the very first opportunity. About 9 times out of 10 I then pull up beside them at the next red light. What did they gain?

In PA the right turn law requires that you first stop, then you may proceed if the way is clear. A lot of drivers don't seem to understand that. Also as mentioned by the OP, sometimes you don't have a clear view of whether it's safe to make that turn on red. If I can't see that the way is clear I'm not going to chance it. If the guy behind me doesn't like it that's his problem.

I also don't treat traffic lights like they are Christmas trees. My light turns green and I take a second to make sure the cross traffic has actually stopped. Many times a car blows through the red and will cream you if you jump the green. I've had cars behind me honk because I didn't move the instant the light turns green, but again that's their problem. It's not like I sit there an inordinate amount of time as I am never on my phone while driving, but I do make sure I'm not going to get hit by someone who ignores the cross traffic red light.

A couple years ago I was in the straight through lane and a woman in the left turn lane beside me pulled out when her arrow turned green only to get hit hard by a truck that failed to even slow for the cross traffic red light. I sat there and saw it all unfold knowing what was going to happen but I was powerless to do anything to stop it. I along with several others ran to her car to check on her. Fortunately she was shaken up but seemed otherwise ok. The truck driver claimed he somehow never saw the red light.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    Hate to say it but we have a lot of drivers moving in from WA and MI. They tend to always be in a hurry and some consider them rude.
    That's funny, we blame the bad drivers on people moving up from California.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Everybody's in such a hurry. I love it when I'm driving the speed limit or perhaps a little above, and they come up behind me, tailgate for a bit then blow around me at the very first opportunity. About 9 times out of 10 I then pull up beside them at the next red light. What did they gain?
    It's even better when they stop at the next light and you motor right by them because the light turned green as you were approaching. I did that with a guy for four or five lights in a row. Each time he would get more worked up and drive faster to the next red light, I maintained a steady 35 mph the whole way.

Plenty of times, at first I thought it was because I was so awesome looking but it turns out it was my 86 T-top :/ LOL Coincidentally this does not happen in my 87 notch at all.
    1980 Cobra Project

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    That's funny, we blame the bad drivers on people moving up from California.
    They were just visiting you. When they get tired of the rain they come to the sunny south (except at 4:00 every spring daywhen it dumps for 5 minutes). Gotta keep the humidity up ya know.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Power Member

I always thought I was the guy who stopped for the right turn red lights. A couple of years ago, I came off the freeway about a mile from my home. Clear afternoon, top down, as I approached the light at the end of the exit. I saw red lights across the five lanes and started to brake. A closer look showed the right turn lane to be green. I cruised thru at 5 mph. I was promptly pulled over. All done, the ticket cost me $550. I still don't understand how I missed the red light when I was watching it the whole time. I went back later to check the cops view of the lights. He had a better view of my light than I did and he was on the left side of the cross. Every time I go in the area, I see cars blowing thru the same intersection. Then we have the camera lights which require almost a 5 second stop.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Default Legally a horn is intended as safety related device only

Northern to southern travelers sometimes called snowbirds. Canadians too.
    Manhattans honk all night. Honkies?
    We all have honked and waved. Wedding processions used to.
    Large trucks are supposed to blow horn if they will not make the light?

May get you a ticket? Advice from the pros:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._it_legal.html

Calling it as i see it. Be (a)ware:
    How many times has the light turned red when you approach and there is no traffic around?
    More common than ever. Frustrating waiting for 10 cameras to take your picture.
    Rather then better controlling the lights like we were told they were intended to do.

Or the all too common short yellows. 3 sec yellow. Like that drag tree, only backwards.
    Traps. Those are the cross traffic ones to watch.
    How ya gonna clear the intersection when the light turns yellow when you are at the white line?
    Lock em up, get rear ended, and possibly pushed into the intersection?

Too many drivers assume once you start a right turn, you will keep going.
    Me included until i figured it out a while back.
    What if another look changes things and you have to stop twice?
    They keep going, bump or pile into you, because they are looking left to see if it is clear and do not see you stopped again.
    Then its a near miss and they honk (at themselves) because they almost erred?

A lot of accidents are due to following too close and/or going too fast.
    And the tree.
    Drag and NASCAR techniques used by drivers that have no real experience with either.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-07-2017 at 08:12 PM.

I get honked at for stopping and properly proceeding from a STOP sign.

I was stopped at a busy intersection a month or so ago, I was several cars back, light turns green, no one is moving so I tap the horn like WTF, then I see the funeral procession rolling thru, I felt about 2 inches tall.

I dont geg honked at alot, but I get passed constantly when doing 5mph over the speed limit.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Default Brights and a long honk- Ha I followed up with courtesy call

First got the brights, then passed with a long honk at today on the eway.
    The works, minus the cutoff swerve at me. Was there a gesture too? Dunno.
    Long honks have different meaning than a toot.

Freeway scene:
    Day shift morning traffic. Am headed home. Daybreak. Clean pavement.
    I moved from center lane to slow lane, ready to exit two miles up the road.
    Early lane change from center to right lane was planned, as very heavy traffic was ahead.

Did not cut anyone off. Plenty of room. Eased into a 10 car gap.
    Dropped down from 60 to 50, traffic getting heavy up ahead.

Well, the pickup that was 10 cars behind me caught up. Then flashed brights!
    Sorry bud, am not gonna speed up. 4cyl Rangers in 5th are no speed demons on inclines.

Got passed with long honk. Did not look until truck honked and was passed.
    Caught and noted the nice blue company logo on that clean white F150.
    No time to catch plate or possible truck number.

Got home 1/2 hour later.
    Internet search for name. Bingo. The company logo.
    Followed up with a call to them. Local company. Have 5 pickups. Cement contractors.
    Good people. Nice older company. Website and pics.
    Said "got one for you", mentioned the details, was not mad at all, but had to call.
    Receptionist said she will figure something out to remind drivers of road courtesy.
    A topic to include in a meeting?
    We agreed its all about safety and having a safe and un-upsetting day today.

I also don't treat traffic lights like they are Christmas trees. My light turns green and I take a second to make sure the cross traffic has actually stopped. Many times a car blows through the red and will cream you if you jump the green. I've had cars behind me honk because I didn't move the instant the light turns green, but again that's their problem. It's not like I sit there an inordinate amount of time as I am never on my phone while driving, but I do make sure I'm not going to get hit by someone who ignores the cross traffic red light.
    Last week my wife's facebook notified her of a timeline post from five years ago. Had she jackrabbit'ed a green light back then I probably would not have been sitting here typing this now, and also possibly our 4-yo son whom we had just picked up from pre-school.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I have to get on to my wife about turning right on red. She says "right on red it legal". I have to respond, "But you have to stop first!". She says I'm nitpicking. I say, have fun paying the ticket!

Another thing that really gets me is when I'm passing, say, a big rig on the highway. There's usually some impatient jerk behind me who thinks I'm not passing fast enough, since I'm not going 95mph. As soon as I get enough clearance in front of the big rig to get back over in the right lane, the idiot behind me decides to whip around and pass me on the right...basically cutting off the big rig. I usually know when it's coming and sometimes I'll just give a little nudge over to the right lane as they're getting beside me. In other words, they think for a second "uh oh, I just screwed up" lol! They'll sometimes freak out for a second and swerve a bit, but it hopefully teaches them a lesson.

Got beeped at today heading out to a client's shop.
    I just rolled down the window and pointed to the no turn on red sign as I turned on green.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

FEP Senior Member

I am sure people behind be get annoyed when I come to a complete stop at stop signs or when turning right at a red light. I recall being on Long Island many years ago on a two lane road (with Michigan plates on my car). I saw an ambulance with its lights on coming up from behind. Where I live when you see an emergency vehicle you pull over and wait for them to pass. So I pull over to the shoulder and let the ambulance pass. I had a Suffolk County cop trailing me for the next 10 minutes. I guess being courteous counts as suspicious behavior there.

Usually I get honked at when stopped at a green light, going straight, but there's no room at the other end of the intersection due to stopped traffic. It's against the law here to block the intersection but folks honk and yell anyway. Nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of an intersection between stopped cars in front and folks coming from the right and left trying to cross. Everyone is honking then!

Exactly! A few times I have pulled up beside them and waved enthusiastically while mouthing "Good to see you again".

My dad taught me this when I was learning to drive. It has saved me from a major wreck many times over!

Three things here that drive me crazy.

First, there is a disturbing trend of people driving after dark (not dusk or right after the sun set) without there headlights on! This is usually on roads with overhead street lights, but these overhead lights are barely bright enough to see the road, they don't illuminate cars, especially dark colored ones. I have been in the turning lane trying to turn left waiting for a clearing and almost turned right in front of them. You have to be watching super close to see them! I don't think they realize headlights are not just so you can see ahead, but so you can be seen as well.

Second People treat stop signs as yield signs at best... You can see it on there faces as you are both approaching the intersection and they finally see you and realize they will have to stop instead of blowing through it. We are talking major street here with 50 mph speed limit and they are approaching on a residential side street...

Last, many of our major streets are 3 lanes each direction with a left hand turning lane down the middle. Instead of waiting for traffic to clear enough to turn left across the road out of a parking lot or from a side street, they pull out and get into the middle turning lane and either use it as an acceleration/merging lane or sit in it watching there rear view mirror waiting for traffic to clear. So if your travelling in the inside line you see these cars shooting across the road at you and you have to wonder if the actually see you or are they going for the turning lane merge procedure... And if you actually want use the lane to turn left it's litttered with all these idiots described above in your way..

Actually I thought of one more... In the winter time, when we have snow and or ice on the roads, people will only clear a hole in the windshield just barely big enough to see out of and take off driving! Many times snow will be covering up the headlights and taillights! C'mon , how lazy do you have to be? The way I see it, roads are slick and dangerous and we need visibility to be as good as possible to be able to have plenty of time to react and make evasive maneuvers. I clear every inch of glass, the outside mirrors, and make certain to brush off taillights, headlights and turn signals. I also completely clear off the hood and roof of the vehicle. This keeps snow from blowing up off the hood onto the windshield while I'm driving and keeps it form sliding forward onto the windshield from the roof during a hard stop. All that after a foot of snow only takes at worst about 10-15 minutes with a broom. Start up the car, do the above while it is warming up... Again, how lazy do you have to be?
    Last edited by Flyin'Montdude; 03-24-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

The only honk when I sit there with a finger out each window. Oh I mean...... no, usually not?