Close

Default knock sensor questions

I am putting a Ron Francis wiring harness on my 1985 turbo motor, and have a question about the knock sensor. based on what I found online, it should be located on the firewall side of the intake? should it be on the lower intake or upper? The only sensor I have on my intake doesnt have the correct connecter, and I think is some kind of secondary coolant temperature sensor (for the coolant that runs through the manifold) located way down on the lower intake. Did 1985 engines have a knock sensor? I will only be running 93 fuel, do I need to worry about having/plugging in the knock sensor? Right now I just have the connector hanging around in the area not plugged into anything. I can take pics of what my intake looks like later today.

FEP Power Member

All the Efi turbos had a knock sensor. I'm pretty sure it changed locations from 84 to 86. Intake manifold sounds about right.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Bottom of intake closest to the fire wall. Most leave it unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so this is the back of my intake, on the bottom. that sensor there is (im 99% sure) some kind of coolant temp sensor, because when I took it out, i noticed it was in the coolant tract.

And this is the front/top of the intake. no other sensors screwed into it.

This may help: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-lower-intakes

BTW - you either have an 85.5 SVO or the motor was swapped with the 85.5 or 86 style. The 84/85 uses the flat (as opposed to square) intake.

JT

ahhh i see, so a previous owner plugged my knock sensor hole then. I see that now, above my questionable third coolant temp sensor. fair enough, I will probably leave it be since I will always run premium fuel, and stock wastegate pressure for now.