Close

Thread: Epoxy primer

Default Epoxy primer

So, a couple days have past since I primed my front end. It was an epoxy primer. Arnold motor supply store brand. Maybe ppg, as they carry ppg and omni also. Any hoo, it has a very textured finish, which is no worry with some wet sanding. Interweb searches seem to confirm the texture surface. I mixed per label 4.1.1/2. Last coat I even overthinnned a bit, no change. All will be OK I think I'll just have to wet sand before topcoat again. Lots of opinions on this out there

The texture of any sprayed paint or primer can depending on the type of paint/primer, the gun you are spraying with, the size of the tip/orifice you are using, and the mixing ratio.

High Build primers often have more texture due to the thickness and build properties of the primer.

Using a gun or a tip/orifice that is too small for the thickness/heaviness of the material will cause more texture due to the material not atomizing as well.

Using a mixing ratio that is light on reducer/thinner will cause more texture as again the material is thicker or heavier bodied and can't flow out as well as a base coat or clear coat may be able too.

If your mixing ratio is 4 to 1 to 1/2 that generally is a high build or heavy bodied paint/primer and will not flow out as much. The only way to get a smoother texture is to use a larger gun/tip/orifice. Many high build primers recommend a 1.8 tip or larger. I generally try to spray those types of primer with a 2.0 or even a 2.2 tip when possible. That allows you to spray the material and get as good an atomization as possible.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Good luck sanding epoxy primer. I hope you have a lot of good sandpaper because it will fill up in a hurry. That was my experience with it. And yes it was PPG too.

Ive used kirker epoxy primer and it sands very easily.