Close

Default 1988 Mercury cougar XR7 engine mount brackets needed

Hi im new to the forums and really need some help tracking fown some motor mounts for my car.its been sitting because i cant find the mounts.Im in need of the left and right if possible.mine snapped right off at the block breaking the 2 ears off of the passenger side.I would greatly appreciate your guys help finding these much needed parts.

Good luck finding them in decent condition. Just about every one ive found is cracked or mangled in some way.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

No better part than the one you have. Get a harbor freight 110v flux wire feed welder, some gloves, a electronic mask, a welding magnet, cold chisel, and a file or grinding wheel.

Also get some scrap plate steel or angle iron to practice on.

Oh and some primer and paint so your repair won't show when you are done.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    No better part than the one you have. Get a harbor freight 110v flux wire feed welder, some gloves, a electronic mask, a welding magnet, cold chisel, and a file or grinding wheel.

Also get some scrap plate steel or angle iron to practice on.

Oh and some primer and paint so your repair won't show when you are done.

Enjoy!
    I was thinking that was about the only option left.thanks for replying.

You wouldnt happen to have a pic would you, I am trying to picture what they look like. They must be different than the Mustang mounts or you would just use those instead.... Enlighten me!

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Yup, 86-88 cougar bird k members changed to a unique mount. The 80- 85's used a mustang style mount. You may be able to use 91- 93 302 mounts as well, it was one of the only 6 parts carried over from my 88-89 model years, although there was only a 302 91- 93 since it didn't fit under the hood until they built the 94- 95 style upper for those years. 94 up we're all 4.6's.

I am going to try to build my own mount using angle iron, a custom motor mount and the stock bottom bracket. The bottom bracket I've never had a problem with. When I swapped to a t- 5, I went through 6 mounts total, 4 drivers side and two passenger. I eventually broke all the bolts off in the block (the bolts stretched) and never put the car back together after.
    1 1987 cougar

Hmms - if the mounts are shorter but attach to a like type K member such a setup would lower the center of gravity on a car. And potentially allow a taller deck height motor fit under a stock hood.

would be awesome to figure out how to cram an EFI 351W under the hood of a fox without a cowl hood. Right now my typhoon touches my stock 86 mustang hood with a stock 8.2 deck height 302HO unfortunately. Would love a nice stock hood hiding a 427CID W based import and vette and modular muscle killer. I can hear that high compression 650HP monster now. 10's are for guys who lift.

Two things.

1. The later Super Coupe I4's and later have mounts that are encapsulated on the later S shells.. . not on a flat plinth.

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/2...nd%7C596%3A373

Source:- http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-...-introduction/

It can be a major bummer...

2.Not sure on the big CouGurl and T birds, but some 3.8's have an additional drivers side 1.5" diameter shock absorber, it mounts to the power steering bracket, and then to the K member on yet another bracket. .

the only Capris and Mustangs with this are normally 83 and 84 3.8 convertables.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...n-the-K-Member

Wow, never seen anything like that! Looks like you could fab something fairly easily, but hey what do I know! I guess I am just used to all the car builders on Velocity and the cool stuff they build. With the right tools almost anything can be accomplished. Good Luck and take pics so someone else can benefit from your R&D. Thanks for the pic

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

the S cars were the transition of Fox shells into luxary cars, not small specialty coupes or , (gasp!) Fairmonts. That process began with the 1980 XR7 and Tbird, continuued with the Lincoln Foxes of 1982, and the process of improvement went on with the 83 XR7/ T-bird then 84 LSC and ..so in 86 the 2.3 engine got a whole raft of NVH removing castings and accessory repositioning, as well as a re contured set of engine mounts.

They are pretty hard to duplicate on the opposite side of the cross member...look at this....the drivers side

If you took a c shaped price of metal and cut it down, it would work fine. When I'm working on the car next, I'll take some pictures of my modified setup, what I plan to do, and what the stock mounts look like.

The stock motor mounts are hydraulically filled, have a bolts that goes through the bottom bracket through the k member as a pin. Then on a flat level bracket there is a round donut swapped hydraulic bracket with a center pin up top and then another metal bracket attached to the engine.

The factory mounts suck. I used to pick out 302 cars by the dent in the hood from the a.c. bracket hitting when I would go junkyarding. The replacement brackets are a two peice rubber that is molded or glued together. I dunno if it's just the way I drive, but every one has broken on me. When I had the t- 5 in my tbird, I'd go through a set every time I drove the car hard.
    1 1987 cougar

Heres a video one of my mechanic buddies shot a few years ago. We rode in my car to pick up lunch and wanted to know what the clunk noise was. When I told him motor mounts he didn't believe me, so I showed him and he pulled out his phone and recorded it.

https://youtu.be/xDDKoedmj80
    1 1987 cougar

Yeah, i'm gonna break i'm gonna break my
    i'm gonna break my rusty cage and run....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yeah, i'm gonna break i'm gonna break my
    i'm gonna break my rusty cage and run....

Ouch! About all you can do if mounts won't hold it is chain and turnbuckle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

From a 13 second 66 Mustang.

Torque stay.

A good idea...