Close

Default Tilt steering question.

Hey All,

Just a quick question: I'd like to convert over to a tilt steering setup and was wodering if an '83-'86 tilt column from a Mustang will bolt right up without an issue into my '80 coupe?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
    Hey All,

Just a quick question: I'd like to convert over to a tilt steering setup and was wodering if an '83-'86 tilt column from a Mustang will bolt right up without an issue into my '80 coupe?

Thanks guys!
    Anyone?

I cant say for sure but I dont see why it wouldnt. I have a tilt column in my 82 GT but it has to be from 79-82 because it still has the old style splined steering shaft. They take the same lower steering shaft and the pedal box is interchangeable physically so I would imagine it would fit. Plus you get the benefit of the using one of the later more desireable 3 spoke wheels. Let us know if you are successful.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Yes and No. While the column will physically bolt in, you may need to use the later steering wheel. Your 80 has a splined shaft and wheel. Some earlier 83s may also be splined but, later ones and up have a D shaped shaft and wheel. You may also need to swap over the multi-function switch and wiper switch.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Watch where the column attaches to the rag joint and where the rag joint connects to the rack. The 86 rack, joint and column will bolt in but you might have to use all of it or a rag replacement shaft from MM.

Also you only get the three spoke wheel if the donor car doesn't have factory cruise control.

If you are going to wider tires up front you may want the 87-93 rack because it's limited to 2.25 turns lock to lock rather than 2.5 like the 86.

I run an 86 rack with 95 spindles and camber bolts on my 86. My tires are 245/45/17 on a 1995 tribar 5 lug which is an 8" wheel. My front is dropped 1". The tires JUST BARELY rub, but I've spent time jacking the wheel wells up out of the way and screwing them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Watch where the column attaches to the rag joint and where the rag joint connects to the rack. The 86 rack, joint and column will bolt in but you might have to use all of it or a rag replacement shaft from MM.

Also you only get the three spoke wheel if the donor car doesn't have factory cruise control.

If you are going to wider tires up front you may want the 87-93 rack because it's limited to 2.25 turns lock to lock rather than 2.5 like the 86.

I run an 86 rack with 95 spindles and camber bolts on my 86. My tires are 245/45/17 on a 1995 tribar 5 lug which is an 8" wheel. My front is dropped 1". The tires JUST BARELY rub, but I've spent time jacking the wheel wells up out of the way and screwing them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok... so I'll grab this guy's tilt column, then. I'm probably going to run an aftermarket steering wheel and I'm without a rack to begin with, so I'll just pick up an 87-93 while I'm at it. Should solve most of my problems. Is the switch/lever swap over a pain? Should I expect the connectors to be different?

Thank you for your help, by the way. (That goes for everyone who's had input).