Close

Default 1986 Capri 3g question

Ok I have a quick question for you guys. I'm in the middle of a diy 3g conversion on my 86 Capri. If I am understanding this correctly the black and orange wires are no longer used. I should plug the black and white wire from the 3 wire d shaped plug back into the alternator on the single spade connector. Then the green and red wire splices into the factory harness. Now the part I don't understand is why does the yellow and white wire have to attach to the power lug along with the 4 ga power wire. Why cant I just splice it into the factory harness? I temporarily hooked it up like the attached picture shows and i was getting 14.5 volts at idle. So what is the difference between hooking the yellow and white wire to the power lug on the alternator vs splicing into the factory harness?

Thanks, BradName:  20170226_180020.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  114.3 KB

You can hook the yellow wire up to the stock cable, looping it is just easier.

It is a voltage sensing wirex basically it bumps up the alt when the battery is low. Theoretically, with a large enough charge wire, this shouldn't be an issue.

The only real drawback, if the 30 year old factory fuseable link somehow fails, the alternator will no longer charge.

On my 86 I just looped it back to the charge stud, I didnt notice any effects at all from this.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Ok thanks I just wanted to check.

FEP Super Member

So a quick question ,nothing connects to that pink post ?
    Or is that where you were looping it back , instead of splicing it into the harness?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The pink post is for the 4 gauge power wire that comes from the starter solenoid. Yes I will be looping the yellow/white wire to that post as well. The picture I posted is just a mock up.