Close

Default 86 Vert Question and Advice Needed

I have an 1986 Mustang GT Convertible I purchased at a steal and the main reason it was so cheap is because of the top. It needs to be done as well as the weather stripping. I live in NJ and contacted Atlas auto who I hear are the best in the area. I had just a couple questions I wonder if you guys could answer. I read the convertible Q and A thread but thought starting my own thread will get a quicker response. So Atlas auto uses Ford parts they keep on hand. Just to do the top they quoted me 1300 for parts and labor. I said I also needed weather stripping and the quarter windows put back in line. Here is a photo of what it looks like. Has anyone seen it this bad where it could be fixed? I cant spend over 2k on fixing all this. Id have to sell the car if that were the case. In your experience how hard is it to get those windows lined up again. The car has been covered and garage kept so it hasn't seen rain. Opinions or advice?

So is this salvageable?

Not sure I understand the question? Anything can be saved with enough effort and / or money.

Looks like you are missing both the door and quarter window dew wipes. And there is a small end cap that goes on the rear edge of the door where the window meets the frame. All of this is available from most reputable parts suppliers. The biggest PITA (outside of the top replacement) is the quarter window dew wipe/molding replacement.

And the rear quarter windows can be adjusted. There is a manual for convertibles, see if you can get a PDF copy and print / read.

One thing you need to do is to lower the top and raise all the windows to see how much out of alignment they are with each other. I'd start by making sure that the door windows are aligned with the A pillar weatherstrip and that they also rise up to meet the side weatherstrip when the top is raised. The photo that you posted makes it look like the door window is out of alignment because of how it meets with the top.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

$1300 for the top seems to be a correct price. The weatherstripping, window alignment, and dew wipes are all labor intensive and can be costly if you have someone else do it. If you can do these things yourself, you will save a considerable amount of money. The parts themselves are relatively cheap.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I'd start by making sure the window bushings are ok.

Thanks guys appreciate the help and advice. I will be checking what you guys mentioned tomorrow.

Thanks guys appreciate the help and advice. I will be checking what you guys mentioned tomorrow.

FEP Power Member

I would seriously doubt Ford parts will be used. Most of them have been unavailable for Years. Such as the top, and A pillar weather strips.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Well thats fine. Its just what he said. I actually had to wait for him to check if they had it. Which they did. Even if its not Ford im just trying to get it taken care of so I can start building her. Trying to make a 13 sec high 12s street car.

Before checking the window alignment you might want to check the door alignment and replace the door pins/bushings now so it's all set just right.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

A trip to the frame rack to verify there's no twist is a cheap vs the ROI. have them weld in subframe connectors while you're there!

It has sub frames but there just not welded. So Im going to have that done as well.

Look into the guide rod mount for the rear quarter glass from late model restoration.seems they get worn and cause alignment issues.thinking of doing mine.
    Nick. 86 vert GT,p-heads trick flow springs,explorer intake,off road H,super 44's,still speed density

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    One thing you need to do is to lower the top and raise all the windows to see how much out of alignment they are with each other. I'd start by making sure that the door windows are aligned with the A pillar weatherstrip and that they also rise up to meet the side weatherstrip when the top is raised. The photo that you posted makes it look like the door window is out of alignment because of how it meets with the top.
    I agree with all above. In fact all the replies here are on point. I have the exact car in the same color.

BTW, if your the top's hydraulic lines have not been replaced, well then, you may want to address those as well because they are soon to crack if not previously replaced. LMR and others have them for around $105. The pumps are available too in the $280 range. Then you have the pistons... you can cross these bridges when you get to them, but this is all good to know before you go sown this tunnel...

My Main question is: Are you trying to make this a race car? Reasoning: There are lighter body styles for this use. 4eyed Verts are soon to be rare! Your car is a soon to be collectors car. I could go on for days as to why, but just one will do: You can still work on these thing with relatively no hyper-electronic tools!!!!

Back to the top issue:

My top is due for practically everything your is in need of. I have been amassing part a little at a time while I do the rest of the car.

Repairs:
    The window can definitely be aligned by the novice. The dew strips along the rear quarter body is not so easy, but with care and patience, it can be done at home too.

In short, all window to top alignments will start from the foundation up; which has been mentioned. 1. A straight frame. 2. Solid Door to Chassis Mounting and alignment 3. Good Dew Strips and assorted Rubber Surround Moldings to snug up to the glass 4. Everything aligned and snug with the top down first.

Verts are expensive!!!! when considering the other body styles. That points back to my question of real intended use. From the sound in your comment you don't seem all that married to the convertible as is. Maybe sell it to a Vert lover and take that money and find a notch or hatch specimen... Just something to think about, IMHO.

BTW, welding subframe connectors on to the vert is NOT straight forward. They are equipped with 4 corner body to chassis stiffener brackets that are steel-riveted on, and must be removed before you can weld the subframes connectors in......

Name:  093.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  137.6 KBName:  199.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  149.2 KB

Thanks for the post man. Yeah I am not looking for a straight drag car. Just a quick car I can drive on the weekends. I have a 2k budget to repair the top. I took the car the the guy today and said before he can do the top I would need to get the windows done. You are right I am not married to it. I am married to mustangs though. Besides the top it really is in good shape. It has a ton of repairs for the previous owner. Here has been done to it. If I were to sell now id loose out. Id have to find someone with a fox to trade or something. It has....

1.Pro. 5.0 Shifter
    2. Mass Air Conversion
    3. MAC Cold Air
    4. All new sensors
    5. New Radiator
    6. new water pump
    7. brand new shocks
    8. upper and lower control arms
    9. new fuel pump and tank
    10. 3.27 Posi Rear
    11. New Harmonic balancer.
    12. Came with an entire extra rear end with 4.10 gears and fiberglass cowl hood.

I feel like id lose on it if I sold. I doubt I could sell it as it sits now because of the top. I honestly didn't think the 4 eyes were rare.