Close

Default HURST shifter on a stock 2.3l 4-cyl non-turbo 1980 mustang

Hi, anyone knows what hurst shifter will fit in my stock 4 speed ? Or there is any modification i need to do? I Didnt found anything about it, so i was wondering if it would work. Also, the stock shifter has a spring for the reverse, how the hurst shifter works with the reverse?

Thank you!

Need your help!

Purchased a new Hurst shifter for a RAD (2.3 turbo trans) 8/30/82 78.00.
    Featured a reverse lock out. Pull up on black ring and hold for reverse gate.
    One day the shifter's reverse lock out mechanism broke. Hurst would not fix it.
    Have the Hurst number or box somewhere.
    Long obsolete.

Last edited by gr79; 02-27-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Due to AMC constant use of Ford parts, CJ Jeeps frm 1980-1983 use the same Indy shifter for those 151/258 Jeeps that had it. These are the fairly common 7 mm gearstick shaft SR4's

Be very aware that Fords tag name (RUG, RTS, & HEH, or RAD, RAN, RAP) for the transmissions aren't what they are as an individual gearbox.

Based on the info, some parts cross fertilize as the RUG gearbox could be a German ET or an SROD. They have a longer internal bushing FoMoCo # D9BZ7K453B ( for RUG, RTS, & HEH), with an internal saddle 1.5" long inside, which snaps onto a 8.5mm shaft (~0.330" dia).

Generally, SR4's are called RAD transmissions, and have Ford cast into the top cover, but were used in Jeeps .

Although the T4 and T5 were Ford instigated gearboxes 80% based on the SR4 uesd from Borg Warner in 1974 the T4 and T5 went to a much more reliable Shifter Cup Bushing.

The gearboxes the shifter was bolted to were also the German RUG, the ET version of the earlier FOG Hummer/Rocket gearbox. IIRC, That used the same three bolt shifter as the SR4, the FoMoCo # D4ZZ7K453B for RAD / SR4 . Both Jeep and Ford used it.

The common 7 mm, 15.8 mm 5/8" shifter saddle is used in all domestic Borg Warner 4-speed 2.3's from 74 to 83, and the domestic 2.8 V6 from 1974 to 1978. (Imports uesd the FOG tramnsmission and its dreadfull lock tab shifter.There were no 2.8 SR4 Foxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian339 View Post
    Sadly no. There are other RAD shifters from 74 to 83 Fords around...just have to search "Shifter Mustang II,SR4 RAD" or "FOX Mustang 2.3 shifter".Good luck, youll find something if you try some combination searches for used NOS.

What about this? http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...509-white.html
    how would i do with the spring for unlock the reverse?

Similar to the one i have, except for the prong on the end.
    Had similar Hurst in my VW
    Has to be more of them somewhere forgotten on a shelf.
    For like say 50.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-...hYgTqF&vxp=mtr

Noted spring on the lever.
    Dunno if mine has/had one. Would make sense for returning the reverse lock out back down.
    Hope i did not make a mistake thinking the shifter was broken when actually only the spring was.
    Gotta check it out.
    No spring in my pic above.
    There are sliding parts for the reverse thing inside the lever part, which is actually a chrome tube.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-27-2017 at 09:11 AM.

A Hurst shifter on a 2.3-L 4-spd is an intriguing thought. Upgrading to a Hurst shifter would be a good idea, if I do not install a T5 at some point.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version