Close

Default 83 Coupe appraisal

Hello All,

First post here. Used to be pretty heavily into the fox body scene about 12 years ago, but took a break and sold everything I had.

Anyway, I'm at a point in life where I have the time and resources to build something nice, got the green light from the wife, and started looking around. I quickly came to find that some things had certainly changed in the fox body world over the past 12 years. Prices about doubled, rust tripled, and most everything is pretty beat up at this point.

Fought through a couple weeks of rotten rollers on craigslist/facebook for 1000-1500 and started thinking maybe my budget needed to go up, but it was hard to justify.

Anyway, I found an 83 coupe roller for sale, asking $450. Was told it was rust free and barn kept. Went to look at it yesterday. Definitely not barn kept, but I believe it had been inside for at least a few years. Right front frame rail rotted at the strut tower. Floors are junk, trunk floor has a few pin-holes, so I'm expecting they are about to disintegrate. No hood, no trunk lid. Rockers are bubbling. Car has an aftermarket sunroof installed (no glass anymore), so it's just a big hole that won't accept a factory sunroof. When the sunroof install was done, they cut out the roof support. Interior is somewhat there. Seats are shot, but the frames are there. Most of the interior plastic is present, but most of the dash is long gone. Missing a wheel, which doesn't matter too much aside from making the car a pain in the ass to move.

So, asking $450 for an 83 coupe that needs:
    Complete floor pan up front
    Patchwork or complete floor in the trunk
    Hood (which would be needed on whatever project I started)
    Trunk lid
    A roof
    Right front frame rail and minor strut tower repair
    Miscellaneous rust repair on rockers/doors, etc.

The big ticket items for me are the frame rail and roof. I'm capable of making the repairs, but I don't know if I can justify the asking price for a car that needs so much.

The seller is fairly firm on price, he thinks he has a gem. I disagree, but I do like the car. I think I could get the car for $400, and I'm probably looking at a few hundred for a tow. So like $600 deep into this just to start.

I like that it's 4 eye, I really like that it's a notch, but I'm fairly worried about getting parts for this year. Interior especially.

Honest opinions, would you guys spend $400-$450 on an 83 that needed so much? I like the car enough to be looking for some reassurance that in today's market it's not a bad deal, but ultimately I don't wanna throw stupid money at something that's not worth it. I don't HAVE to have this car.

Thanks in advance,

I wouldn't I bought a nice 85 lx hatch last august for 1200 and just sold it the other day for 3000 it needed work but ran and drove I'd keep an eye out and just wait idk where your located at but I'm in Kentucky and there's some nice mustangs cheap sometimes you just gotta take your time and wait. I just bought a 86 gt with 46000 miles all original ttop car and I have 1300 in it it's a nice car too and it's pretty much rust free you play your cards right you'll find one and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 85cammedfox View Post
    I wouldn't I bought a nice 85 lx hatch last august for 1200 and just sold it the other day for 3000 it needed work but ran and drove I'd keep an eye out and just wait idk where your located at but I'm in Kentucky and there's some nice mustangs cheap sometimes you just gotta take your time and wait. I just bought a 86 gt with 46000 miles all original ttop car and I have 1300 in it it's a nice car too and it's pretty much rust free you play your cards right you'll find one and good luck
    Bardstown, Ky here man, share the KY leads, I can't find much of anything worth buying that isn't crazy.

I'll see what I can find what's ur budget

Idk if your into verts but here's one pretty reasonable and looks solid from the pic https://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/6015485367.html

In my opinion without pictures and based off of your description I would pass. Honestly I wouldn't take it for free. I am also capable of replacing panels and doing rust repair but you still have to get the repair panels. Also your time is worth something. I look at the money and time it would take just to get this car up and running and to me its not worth it. Again without seeing pictures. I also really like notchbacks and know they can be hard to find. I was in the same boat a few years back. I had been away from these cars since the 90's. Had thought about getting another one on and off for years. When I finally started looking I was shocked at the prices. Either way good luck!
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 02-26-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey5.0 View Post
    Hello All,

Anyway, I'm at a point in life where I have the time and resources to build something nice, got the green light from the wife, and started looking around. I quickly came to find that some things had certainly changed in the fox body world over the past 12 years. Prices about doubled, rust tripled, and most everything is pretty beat up at this point.

Honest opinions, would you guys spend $400-$450 on an 83 that needed so much?

Thanks in advance,
    Your Words:

"I quickly came to find that some things had certainly changed in the fox body world over the past 12 years."

A LOT more than that has changed!

Cost of Labor, Cost of Materials and Finding the TIME in your life to actually finish a project car. I suggest you buy NICEST CAR that you can afford, a car YOU like that already has Nice Exterior Paint, Nice Interior that you find Acceptable & START your build from there with a NICE CAR.

BUY COSMETICS NOT MECHANICS!

You already know you are not going to like the power, speed and handling of any stock Foxbody so mechanical modifications are in your future. Mechanical work is MUCH Easier, can be cheaper & most importantly you DO NOT have to deal with BODY SHOP JAIL and the LIARS that run em!

You said in your OP that you want to build a NICE car so start with a NICE car! Buy cosmetics on the front end and spend your time and remaining money on the mechanics to make the car what YOU want!

Would "I" buy that $400 car, pay to haul it home as my starting point for this project?

No way in Hell would "I" buy that PARTS CAR you reference above for any other reason than PARTS given your original statement and intent of the car YOU want to build!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 02-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Totally agree with Mike..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Like the others have said, find a good running car. It's fun building and putting together a Fox body, but it can be a lot of work.
    One option is to find a very nice 4 or 6 cly model with a rust free body and nice interior. Then you can find a wrecked, beat, etc. 5.0 and transfer the parts over. This is still a lot of work, but you don't have to deal with body work (which can be a huge job), or interior work (which could be expensive, and some parts may be hard to find).
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Guys, thank you very much for the alternative perspectives on this. I know it's a pretty subjective topic, but I appreciate the opinions of other people involved in the fox body community.

If anyone else wants to weigh it, that would be great as well.

Thanks!