Close

Default Stripped wheel stud

So yesterday I bought a 1985 foxbody and today I took her out on the highway for a little spin, and amongst a few other things, my rear right strut completely took a crap and as I went to change it, I got the pleasant surprise of not being able to take my wheel off due to a stripped wheel stud. I can spin it all day but that bad boy ain't turning. Not only that but the asshole who put the last set of tires on it (really need new ones bad) decided to torque them on so hard that the wheel is complete garbage now. So my question is, how can I get the wheel off or the stud out? Do I have to replace the axle? All answers super appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely you will have to use a cut off wheel to cut the lug nut and stud off in order to get the wheel off.

You could try pry the wheel outward as you try to use an impact gun to remove the lug nut, but not sure if that will work or not.

Once you get the wheel off, you can remove the drum. Then you can drive the wheel studs out with a large hammer. You can purchase replacement wheel studs at virtually any auto parts store.

I recommend putting the wheel studs in the freezer overnight, then remove one at a time and install them. I recommend the washers, lug nuts, and an impact gun method. Just remove to lube the threads with some good grease and slowly pull the stud into the axle. Don't over torque like the PO did!

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Cant you can pull the axle and get to the "head" of the stud.

Also why I take my wheels in to have tires put on.

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    Cant you can pull the axle and get to the "head" of the stud.

Also why I take my wheels in to have tires put on.
    You could, but I wasn't sure the OP wanted to go to that extent just yet.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Another way is to drill it out.
    Put vise grip on the lug so it won't spin and drill down the center of the wheel stud.
    Weaken/destroy the wheel stud until you can rip the lug nut off.

If you have a torch and the wheel is crap blow out the lug nut and stud.

Center punch the lug and drill through it with bigger and bigger bits until it the nut falls off. It will take some time but won't ruin the wheel

You are fighting all the pressure on one lug. Always break all your lugs loose before taking all the pressure off of any.

Pull the other lugs back down as tight as you dare. Drill a small hole through the wheel and the drum and the axle. Poprivet the wheel to the axle. Now grip the lug with a vise grip or pipe wrench. Heat the lug as hot as you can then beat it with a cold chisel in the direction it needs to go while having a buddy hold the lug.

It should come off quite easily this way.

If it doesn't, heat the nut and cold chisel it in two spots 180 degrees from eachother and knock it off.

Or as suggested above, pull the axle.

Good luck!!

Good luck drilling it or getting a cut off in there. When I was 18, I got a used tire put on and they didnt tighten the lug nuts. Two stayed on, one stud came out with the lug nut stuck on all galled up and the other stud was bent with a perfectly rounded lug nut. I spent about $200 on drill bits and dremel cut off wheels and small grinding stones and got nowhere. Put bigh flat slots in them and hit them with impacts until I broke the gun. One day my dad came out to see what I was doing and told me to go get a punch and chisel set and a hammer. I removed all the bits of lugnuts/studs that were stuck in the rim after about 5 minutes. After 3-4 months of spending a few hours every weekend at it, I felt really, really dumb.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Try a lighter and candle wax. Heat the stud from the bottom then touch the candle to the top - works just like solder and sweating a line.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/rusnutcankj4