Close

FEP Senior Member

Default New build, New car....Non-Fox.

I recently scored a 70 Fastback from a local woman who's owned the car since 1979. I personally have been trying to buy this machine since I was around 15, so thats like 23 years ago.

I have plenty of parts from all my different foxbody builds sitting on shelves, so I'll put together what I have on hand. Here's what I'll be assembling for a motor.

331 rotating assembly in a roller block
    Twisted Wedge heads
    Comp XE258HR cam
    Edelbrock Performer RPM-non air gap manifold
    Road Demon 625 vac-sec carb

The goal of all this is to use up as many of the good parts collecting dust, and build a fun, torquey but reliable street machine that can be cruised by my wife if needed. She's for the car if its got an automatic trans.

The car has a C4 at present, and I have a complete toploader setup to use if desired. T5 and AOD swaps are off the table for this one, as the last overdrive early swap I performed took too long and ended up costing more. Rear gears will be a 9 inch with 3:25's, likely open.

The only thing i don't have on-hand is the rotating assembly.

What do you guys think? All this stuff seems rather tame, mostly to ensure reliability and ease of repair. I don't intend to take this to the strip, but will have it tuned on a chassis dyno. I'd like to have around 300hp/340tq to the wheels with this setup. I know the cam is small, so will the heads get me there?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Mock up the heads on the shortblock by theoretical HP vs CID vs CFM flow for a given cam profile.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcafhp.php

Once you know your ideal RPM range you can determine your gears and get compcams to help validate your idea on cam.

Once you know gross power you can estimate net.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.

I think you'll be good , easily.

But, Which heads are they, they make a lot of Twisted wedge heads. Also there are different lifts on the 258 cams.

I've had 2 stroker 347's. The first one had RPM Performer, QF 650 Mechanical Secondaries, Twisted Wedge 11r 190's and not much more cam, with that that would have been more then enough cam to meet your goals. It put down closer to 400 ( depending on the dyno), through a T5 , before it split the block.

My current one has a Stealth intake and Summit 600 VS carb, eCam and the Ford GT40x heads, not my build, through a AOD. I'd say it's around 275 to the tires. I would think either your cam, if it's the bigger one, or heads would get it to 300.

So yeah I'd think you'll be good.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

What do i think? I think you suck for having my dream car!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You tell us you just got a 1970 Mustang fastback and don't post a picture.
    Present cars:
    1984 GT turbo t-tops

Wish list:
    1984 Predator
    Capri ASC McLaren Coupe
    1980 Cobra 4 spd
    1979 Pace Car
    (In order of Preference as well)

FEP Senior Member

Sorry for the bad form with no pic. No excuse whatsoever......

As for the cam, I think it's the low-lift one, with .480 lift. As for the Trickflows, they're the original ones with the pedestal mounts. They're at the machine shop now, having the pedestals removed for an adjustable valvetrain.

Any feedback on the Summit 600 carb? I plan on using a Holley on the trickflow 331, but in the meantime have a stock HO in the wings to replace the suuuuper tired stock 302 2v.

Lemme get some pics up.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Check out these while I look for my camera.

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

The gold color you can see peeking through the C-pillar is the original "bright gold metallic" hue. There's a bit of 'California Rust', meaning the floors and roof are mint, but it needs the lower corners of the doors patched. I live in a farming area with lots of fine silt as the soil type, so that stuff tends to hide inside doors and remain damp for long periods. It's a really good starting point, and since I've been after it for so long, I'll definately do her right!
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Wow, nice ride. I would keep it stock appearing with that big ole air cleaner on there. Step up a little with the cam to something at least over .500 lift. Otherwise you'll be leaving a lot on the table powerwise with a stroker. Nice car, I like the saleen in the pic too, last of the carbs!

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

The main non P.C. advice I can give you is, "You managed to get your hands on something very special, don't **** it up."

Unless you have deep pockets, you will never make this car rival modern cars in terms of performance. People want to see these cars for what they WERE and enjoy them for the same reason. At car shows the modified classics get walked right past and the original ones get the attention. I've seen it time and again over the years, even with my Mach 1 that I've owned for the past 22 years. If you spend all your focus on restomod you may as well do it to a fox mustang as this 70 will never be faster. They are just too heavy. Please keep it stock looking, but by all means attempt to hide modifications and keep them tasteful. You never see people keeping the stock air cleaner, and it's refreshing to see one. No harm in making it a stroker, adding better heads or making it a 4-speed. But no chrome Edelbrock air cleaners/valve covers, MSD boxes, racing seats, custom stripes, or the other white trash "modifications." Those mods just bring an otherwise good car down to 70 Camaro mullet fare. Rome was not built in a day but keep it clean and you'll have a winner.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Senior Member

here's the power plant for my 67. no mullet stuff here. the pillows will be black here shortly.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Pullies.

Heres a shot of the underhood of my 67 as well. This is a 331, AFR, Comp-Cam etc. but you'd never know it from the looks.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Any feedback on the Summit 600 carb?
    I am only getting used to pairing the carb with the auto. Seems to maybe be better then my Holley 600 on my 83. But by far Quick Fuel has been my favorite carb.

BTW you got a lot of cool stuff there.
    Last edited by 4eyedfoxdriver; 02-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears