Close

FEP User

Default Can Anyone Tell Me What This Wire Connect To?

HI, I'm in the process of re-looming all my engine-bay wires within the harness, when I came across this wire (photo attached) that was not terminated at its final connection. I know it's pos. but to where IDK. Can anyone tell me exactly what it connect to? Thanks.Name:  20170224_102904.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  67.4 KB

FEP User

BTW, I forgot to mention it's from an 1986 GT Vert.

If I was to guess, it looks like the wire that goes to the underhood light that's usually mounted on the hood.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    If I was to guess, it looks like the wire that goes to the underhood light that's usually mounted on the hood.
    Thanks for that guess. 84StangSVT.

One thing for certain: It's a hot wire. In addition, it has a fuse-able link inline.... Hoping for more definitive answer.

What color is it and does it have any stripes-dashes-dots etc?

I guessed the underhood light as it appears to be black and the other fusible links are still hooked up. The underhood light also has its own fusible link and it is about the only one that has it and is not tied into another circuit via a factory splice.
    Brock

FEP User

What color is it and does it have any stripes-dashes-dots etc?

I guessed the underhood light as it appears to be black and the other fusible links are still hooked up. The underhood light also has its own fusible link and it is about the only one that has it and is not tied into another circuit via a factory splice.
    Thanks for working with me on this. I do appreciate the input. I am going to look into the hood wire idea. Thing is, I don't have the factory hood to locate the termination there.

I am in no way dismissing your initial guess. This is often how problems get solved: one guy or girl throwing something out there that can, as in many cases, turn out to be the solution.

Forgive me for not just throwing out the color of the wire right away. I was hoping my camera would do a good enough job at getting the color as close to correct as possible. My son and I would declare the wire to be black with a brown stripe. It has lettering on it: Factory lettering with an E3Zxxxx designation which makes the wire n 1983 spec wire.

I've been search my manuals with no luck so far..... Still could use the help narrowing it down. Thanks

Let's dig a bit deeper. Was this wire hooked up to anything when the car was running? I show that 86 did not use any wire of that color. 1983 and 84 used a black with orange dot wire to feed the underhood light.
    Brock

My underhood light wire has the following # on it. E3ZB-15K702-AA SX. It also has a green 20 gauge fusible link.
    Being where the wire has a part number on it, I'm positive it is the light and someone cut the light portion off of the wire.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 02-24-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Brock

My underhood light wire has the following # on it. E3ZB-15K702-AA SX. It also has a green 20 gauge fusible link.
    Being where the wire has a part number on it, I'm positive it is the light and someone cut the light portion off of the wire.
    We have touchdown. 100% on that too I just checked my 86 I will post a pic
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTRAG View Post
    AWESOME!!!!!!!! WORK GUYS!!!! My son and I have been wrecking our brains looking thru these chassis manuals.

Good work by 84StangSVT.... you called it right from the beginning. I indeed was heading to lookup the specs on this hood light, following your guess. we need a break from that search hoping someone would come thru on it. just got tied up installing my BBK Long Tube Headers. We did those just to get our minds away from the loose wire issue.

So happy ii's solved! Thanks so much! It's the little things that make you happy...lol

FEP User

83GTRAG, those pics are confirming. If you wouldn't mind: I would love to see a few more pics of your engine bay wiring layout. I pulled my 86 apart about 2.5 years ago: all intentions to complete the restoration. Well, I ended up buying an investment property right after disassembly so I am just getting back to finishing the project. So I would appreciate having someone who has the 86 vert that I could call on if I get in jambs and need to find a quick answer to where, and what on parts.

Lmk if that wouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks

BTW, Installing the Longtubes we hit a delay. The motor mount looked a bit crappy when we lifted the motor so I'm out for parts before we can get thew tubes in.... Had no idea you have to lift the motor to get them in....

I would be happy to help. I have an 86 100% original. She is a hatch car but engine should be the same. What pix u want. I can get details
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

now thats why i'm a member very impressive 84stangsvt
    GLADLY burning the fuel your Prius is saving!!

Quote Originally Posted by 85foxbody View Post
    now thats why i'm a member very impressive 84stangsvt
    I get lucky once in awhile.
    Brock

FEP User

I would be happy to help. I have an 86 100% original. She is a hatch car but engine should be the same. What pix u want. I can get details
    Thanks for your kindness and willingness to help What I would be most interested in are certain pics of the engine bay wiring paths. I am in the process of re-looming all the wiring on the harness now. However, I'm stuck waiting for some fiber-loom tape to come in from amazon before I commence to strapping everything back in. As you know, there are a million holes in the strut towers where the wire-loom retainer clips push into. I know nothing here is etched in stone for location, but I'd like to get it back as close to original as possible. I did take photos during disassembly, but as you may know sometimes we miss things.

So, I will for sure be in touch and hopefully you'll be able to help. No pressure, it's just great to make the connection either way.

Dwayne

FEP User

BTW, I really appreciated you exuberance! The term you used: "Touchdown" just made me laugh and smile....Thank you for that.

New User

I'm in the process of rewiring mine and might need some assistance at some point as well. It's nice to know there are folks that are willing to help out.