Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New guy, old car

Back in high school, a friend's sister bought a 1983 Mustang GT 4-speed car. I always loved that car, and told her "let me know if you ever sell it". Fast forward 30+ years, and my friend sends me a message. He says "you still want my sister's car?" I ask him for details, how much, etc. Turns out she gave it to her dad, who didn't really do anything with it, and it sat in a garage for 15 years or so. Dad passed away, and the family is looking to get rid of the car. I say "of course! let me know how much"
    Christmas day I get a message "we know you always have loved this car, and we want it to go to someone who will love and appreciate it. if you want it, come get it, it's yours"
    So....1 owner, 100% stock, 77,000 mile all original car is mine! had to replace the fuel pump and rebuild the carb. That's IT. Polished it up, and here it is....Name:  83 outside.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  46.8 KBName:  83 interior driver side.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  111.5 KBName:  83 motor.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  100.3 KB

Come on, for real? That's incredible! Need more pics!

I try not to cuss much, but DARN!!!!!!!

Holy crap!

I love stories like these...congrats on the "old" car purchase!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

That is fantastic! It looks like a really clean unmolested car which you don't see very often. It also appears to be a low option car with no AC, no cruise, no PW, standard interior and 14" wagon wheels instead of TRX. Interesting to see if it has rear defrost or what the radio was. Also 4 speed but it could be an early car. Super unique and a great story. There was a guy back in high school & his parents bought him a 83 GT almost exactly like yours. I always admired that car and when I found mine that looked just like his from back in the day I just had to buy it. Enjoy it!
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Welcome from another '83 GT - 4 speed - stored for 15+ years - Mustang owner !!!

Would love to see more pics under the hood of an original car.

Nice ol horse you got there!

Be sure to replace all the belts and hoses, etc, to make it reliable but nice car!

A good steam cleaner or other similar process should make it look new under the hood.

Great story and great car. If that hood stripe is original that is rather unusual as well. Most of them had black surrounding the hood stripe. We definitely need more pictures.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Welcome. Great car. While some on here might not admit it, the 83 GT is the best looking fox ever made. The hood and the paint scheme makes it so.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Awesome.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Wow, how nice is that?!

like everyone is saying, more pictures please.

droolllllll, car is very nice and I love the color combo!!

FEP Senior Member

Wow that car is very nice! Congratulations on the gift... I hope you took your friend and her sister for dinner! they deserve that and more!

Awesome original 83! Congrats
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I already said how nice this is. I think it's sweet. I am not picking on the car or owner, I am just trying to learn something. I thought the door panels on this car were for a 1984 and the 1983 models had the style in the link below. Like most things, I guess it was some mid-year changeover when they ran out of the other. Sorry roysranchero, not trying to hijack your post, just curious is all. There is always something else to learn about these cars and I have been around them since 1982 and working on them since 1985. For Realz.

Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I already said how nice this is. I think it's sweet. I am not picking on the car or owner, I am just trying to learn something. I thought the door panels on this car were for a 1984 and the 1983 models had the style in the link below. Like most things, I guess it was some mid-year changeover when they ran out of the other. Sorry roysranchero, not trying to hijack your post, just curious is all. There is always something else to learn about these cars and I have been around them since 1982 and working on them since 1985. For Realz.

Those are nice, I don't recall having seen that style before. I'd like to know more about those. Here's a picture of mine after i redid them. It is the original "stitching" look. I have an '83 GLX coupe.Name:  IMG_2584.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  71.7 KB

Great story! Welcome and nice 83GT

Great story to go along with that great looking 83 you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Those are nice, I don't recall having seen that style before. I'd like to know more about those. Here's a picture of mine after i redid them. It is the original "stitching" look. I have an '83 GLX coupe.Name:  IMG_2584.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  71.7 KB
    Those are the same as the door panels on my '82. (Red ones with the diagonal lines)
    Last edited by jlehma13; 02-24-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Possibility different pattern panels were used
    That had the switch cutout under the armrest.
    Lack of options/trim level dictated a certain panel.
    What was on hand was used. Running change over possible too.
    See if the build sheet exists. Then the door panel code.

Anyone know where I can find these? I will redye them if I have to but going through 5 companies catalogs nobody has them. They are 83 Mustang L door panels. Me be late 82 as my car was built in 9/82 and has a ton of 82 parts on it instead of mid year 83 parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone should make a spray that brings back sunfade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A/C delete 5.0! Sweet ride and yes, why I am green with jealousy! Thank you for noticing!

Nice ride! Welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Great story and great car. If that hood stripe is original that is rather unusual as well. Most of them had black surrounding the hood stripe. We definitely need more pictures.
    Ill post more pictures soon, definitely.
    That hood stripe was black, but now is sun bleached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast