Close

Question Can someone take a few detailed pictues of your H pipe so I can fix mine?

I have an old Mac 2.5" H pipe (about 15-20 years), that I sawed off the header-side flange ends, just above the oxygen sensor holes (about 6 inches). Unfortunately, like a dummy, I did not mark the ends - neither which side is which, nor what rotation. I'm kind of surprised I actually kept them. Anyway, now I want to weld them back on, but I have no way to tell where to put them - other than I know they point upwards.

For those wondering why I did this (and why I just don't use some factory headers to properly locate them); way before this, I turbocharged my car so my headers now face forward. I removed the ends to make room for some Y style cut-outs.

Thanks, Howard

Just try to fit them up. I'm fairly certain that your cuts for each side will be unique to itself.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

How detailed do you need? I currently have my BBK X-pipe out from underneath the car and could probably get some better pics this evening.

Name:  ex12.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  131.1 KB

It might be best to fit the pieces up to the headers and then mount your H to get a better feel of how much adjusting you might need to do before welding anything as each car and pipe are a bit different.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic G.T.350 View Post
    Just try to fit them up. I'm fairly certain that your cuts for each side will be unique to itself.
    Yeah, I've been trying. The one occasion I actually made really good hack saw cuts Honestly, There's about 3 different positions that I can rotate the ends and they feel like they're at home.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    How detailed do you need? I currently have my BBK X-pipe out from underneath the car and could probably get some better pics this evening.

It might be best to fit the pieces up to the headers and then mount your H to get a better feel of how much adjusting you might need to do before welding anything as each car and pipe are a bit different.
    If you don't mind, maybe just a 3 or 4 shots (top, sides, bottom) of each header flange end would be a great help. Even though mine is a MAC and yours is a BBK, I'm sure they've got to be pretty close. I wish I knew of the MAC had the the 02 holes at the 6 o'clock spot or so.

Thanks, Howard

Quote Originally Posted by twinturbohow View Post
    If you don't mind, maybe just a 3 or 4 shots (top, sides, bottom) of each header flange end would be a great help. Even though mine is a MAC and yours is a BBK, I'm sure they've got to be pretty close. I wish I knew of the MAC had the the 02 holes at the 6 o'clock spot or so.

Thanks, Howard
    Here are some other shots that may or may not be of any help.

Name:  DSC01112frm.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  143.6 KBName:  DSC01114frm.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  151.5 KBName:  DSC01116frm.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  160.7 KB

I can get more and some rough measurements from flange to flange tonight.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Take some acetone and a cloth, wipe down the inside of the pipe and get that black junk off, then line up the parting lines. There will be only one and it will only go one way. When I was reassembling my Pypes stainless catback flow tubes that I cut in half, that's how I did it and it worked out perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by twinturbohow View Post
    Yeah, I've been trying. The one occasion I actually made really good hack saw cuts Honestly, There's about 3 different positions that I can rotate the ends and they feel like they're at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangTony View Post
    Take some acetone and a cloth, wipe down the inside of the pipe and get that black junk off, then line up the parting lines. There will be only one and it will only go one way. When I was reassembling my Pypes stainless catback flow tubes that I cut in half, that's how I did it and it worked out perfectly for me.
    I did notice that on the one side and I was just about to mount it up, when I decided to scrap the idea of using the ends to bring it back to the factory locations. It took awhile, but it dawned on me why I removed them in the first place; I didn't have enough room to make a good exhaust bend from the locations of the turbos to the H pipe with the factory location flanges. So I actually removed a bit more of the H pipe so I now have a nice straight piece to connect to.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions!