Close

Default front spidles for 82 capri 5 lug conversion

Can any one tell me if these are the proper spindles for converting my 82 Capri RS to 5-lug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-88-89-90-...RYbpjF&vxp=mtr

Frank at LMR said I need 87-93 spindles and the are getting hard to come by.

If not does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

John

FEP Super Member

I used 94-95 Mustang spindles for my 5 lug swap .
    Maintenance free wheel bearings , and larger brakes , was the reason.
    I am not a fan of the hybrid rotor to make 5 lug .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Hybrid rotor? You use Mark VII rotors with the 87-93 spindles to go 5lug. The 87-93 spindles you want are from v8 models, but a lotta cats like the 94-95 spindles man. You can put 13" cobra front brakes on that way too.

Cale

FEP Senior Member

When I swapped the larger 5.0 brakes on the front of my 78 Fairmont, I used stock spindles from a 91 Mustang 5.0, and 1990 Lincoln Mk. VII rotors. I used calipers for a 91 Mustang 5.0, as well as new rubber brake hoses. Pretty straight forward swap, and I can`t imagine with all the 5.0 Mustangs Ford sold from 87-93, that finding spindles should be very hard.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

What is the advantage of the Lincoln rotors over the just using a complete 91 5.0 setup?

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by devittjl View Post
    What is the advantage of the Lincoln rotors over the just using a complete 91 5.0 setup?
    5 lug versus 4 lug.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    5 lug versus 4 lug.
    Yes but the 91 gt is five lug as well. So why use the lincoln?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "V/I is Futile"
    ---------------------
    1982 Capri RS 5.0
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    2014 Mustang GT 5.0

Yes but the 91 gt is five lug as well. So why use the lincoln?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    No foxbodies besides the SVO's or 93 Cobra R's were 5 lug from the factory. You can get a 5 lug rotor that works with 79-86 from a 2WD Ranger pickup, not sure of the years, probably 85-86. The Mark VII rotors only fit on 87-93 5.0 spindles. But if you are going through the trouble of changing spindles, your best bet is to find a pair of 94-95 spindles and you can go with stock 94 up GT brakes. The Cobra/Mach1 brakes are a simple upgrade at a later date. The SN95 spindles allow you to run any factory 5 lug ford wheel that fits 94-04 and any aftermarket for the same. Thats a nice feature for sure. Good Luck!

Mike
    Last edited by FoxFords&FFR's; 02-23-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: More info
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Mike, So will this set up work for my 82 Capri RS.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-86-87-88-...wFxzzw&vxp=mtr

The listing mentioned needing new 87-93 V8 control arms. Do I need to do this since I have a 5.0 already?

thanks in advance for the help.
    John

Mike, So will this set up work for my 82 Capri RS.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-86-87-88-...wFxzzw&vxp=mtr

The listing mentioned needing new 87-93 V8 control arms. Do I need to do this since I have a 5.0 already?

thanks in advance for the help.
    John
    Just my .02 worth, but that seems like a ton of money for a used setup IMHO. I assume MPS has the correct spindles (94/95), but they don't show them so that is always a concern. I would ask for a picture to verify they are the correct spindles with the curved steering arm rather than the straight arm for the 96-04 models.

I am not sure why they state you need the 87-93 arms as the 79-93 arms are physically identical with the only difference being bushing changes and then the later higher quality ball joints. I would personally recommend upgrading your ball joints to the 94-04 units if doing the swap and purchase OEM FORD ball joints not any aftermarket versions, but the real deal. Yes they are a bit more expensive, but well worth the money. Maximum Motorsports has the best price on them that I have found. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

94-95 balljoints work out really well. Be sure to tack weld them in so they don't let go under load and cause a crash.

94-95 spindles have a ton of advantages from Ackerman to bearing design.

99-04 GT calipers are dual piston and will clear if you nip the ears off the 94-95 spindles where they hit

baer makes a drilled slotted rotor for the 99 that works well with this combo.

13" cobra rotors works out well too if you want reduced multiple stop brake fade although the 99's are no joke.

braded hoses and the LMR hose adapter made plumbing very easy on my 86GT

Get and adjustable proportioning valve from Summit and a proportioning valve plug from LMR.

I like my MarkVIi master cyl. It's a 1" bore which matched up to my stock booster nicely. The only thing I needed was an off the shelf line adapter that autozone carried to plumb it to the stock lines.

dot4 synthetic is the way to go for brake fluid.

If you think you might need A arm bushings now is the time, but you might consider pre-done A arms with bushings as they can be and usually are a royal pain

Now is the time for low miles stock springs or your favorite aftermarket if yours are well worn.

Treat yourself to a new rack, filter, and power steering pump while you have it all apart. Get an aftermarket trans cooler to use instead of the loop to keep the pump quiet. Rag joint or MM steering shaft too. Run synthetic ps fluid

MM makes a bump steer kit that is SN95 spindle on Foxbody specific and is a really nice piece.

Good time for new struts. And if you don't have them, caster/camber plates are a great upgrade too.

You will likely need camber bolts and to preload your spindles for negative camber in order to get the steering settings you will likely want.

You are not going to believe the difference in steering feel sn95 vs fox spindle. Much of it is due to the Ackerman improvements.

I did all of this stuff to my 86GT last fall. Took a ton of time because the as arm bolts were stuck and the k member homes were elongated. See some of my prior posts for info on dealing with that.

What a thorough and well written post, erratic.