Close

Default Ron Francis swap harness on '85 engine

Hello all, need some help, i am getting conflicting information. I have a PF3 ECU from a 1985 thunderbird. I want to use the RFW MG-65 swap harness for my project. I know the ecu between la2/3 and my pf3 have slightly different pinout. Well I did some research and found the same, some pins need moving. But I just talked to Ron francis wiring, and they said even though their harness works with la2/3, its still plug and play with the pf3.

does anyone have experience with this swap harness and the older PF3 ecu?? would like to get some info from experienced people if possible. The person I talked to at RFW wasnt technical, they had to go ask someone. so maybe my main question got "lost in translation"?? I am going to try and talk directly to a technical person at RFW tomorrow.

P.S. - no I dont want to switch to a LA2/3 ECU, before anyone asks...
    Last edited by yitzac1990; 02-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.

You'll have to swap some pins, I believe. It's not hard: http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/PEtoLA.pdf

Mike

yeah i saw that exact PDF yesterday. just wondering why Ron Francis said it will work without having to modify anything?? hmm....

also just realized a PF3 ecu came with 85-89 XR4Ti cars...not thunderbirds. TC's came with PK1? What are the differences between the PF3 and PK1? Will a PF3 ECU run a PK1 engine?

ok well according to that PDF with the pinouts, the 85-89 merkur and the 85 TC have the exact same pinouts. I guess I should be good to still use the PF3 ecu on my engine? man my mind is going 1,000 mph!!! lol

You'll be doing the reverse of the "Move wires" box in the lower right.

Mike

well just talked to someone at Stinger Performance. Apparently RFW was wrong, and their harness DOES need to be re-pinned to work on the older ECUs. Going to go ahead and have them send me a re-pinned harness. happy day!