Close

Thread: Walbro 190

Default Walbro 190

I have an 84 5.0 that had 2 fuel pumps but was converted to a single when I did a dual exhaust conversion last summer.

I had installed a generic fuel pump that I think is glitchy so I want to swap it out with a walbro.

Is this the best option for an 84 5.0 with a CFI set up?
    By best option I don't mean high performance, as my car is not a hi performance car, but the best quality fuel pump with correct psi that wont over burden the CFI

http://walbrofuelpumps.com/ford-must...-cyl-5-0l.html

A stock 5.0 SEFI setup is an 88 LPH. I would assume that is essentially what you have linked to, not a 190LPH pump.

I am not overally familiar with the CFI or it's needs so I can't say for sure if that pump will work well or not. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    A stock 5.0 SEFI setup is an 88 LPH. I would assume that is essentially what you have linked to, not a 190LPH pump.

I am not overally familiar with the CFI or it's needs so I can't say for sure if that pump will work well or not. Good Luck!
    I just talked with a sales rep at Walbro. The pump I linked to is 56 psi and 115 LPH. Its not a high end, just the closet thing to stock Walbro has to offer.

Since I have a custom set up, having removed the inline fuel pump and replaced the low pressure in tank pump with a single in tank pump, I want to be sure I have sufficient psi to the CFI and not over do it.

Anybody else out there updated the fuel pump in a CFI set up? Whats my best option?

There's a guy in this thread from a while back:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...el-pump-advice

Cale

Fuel pump size is a function of engine horsepower. What is your expectation on power output? What about fuel pressure?

Glitchy?...

I did not "... updated the fuel pump in a CFI set up", but my car, and all sorts of others with CFI came with one internal electric fuel pump inside the gas tank, that identically mimics (volume and pressure) what supplies fuel for EFI cars. Any brand run-of-the-mill stock replacement, Walbro or other, ought to suffice with a stock situation. Advantageous for verifying with a fuel pressure gauge, and tuning, is modifying the rugged fuel pressure regulator that is atop of the throttle body on CFI.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    There's a guy in this thread from a while back:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...el-pump-advice

Cale
    I was the last post in that thread. I never did get a reply as to the exact walbro 190 part number. Even Walbro phone support is confused on this set up. they direct me to use the Walbro 502 which is 87 lph. Seems like an under performer.

Thres a few intangibles the more I research this the more confused I get.

Stock set up with 2 fuel pumps on 84-85 has the inline high pressure pump is Airtex E2000 at 151 lph.

Stock set up with a single in tank hi pressure pump on 85 and up is an Airtex E2061 at 190 lph

Walbro directs me to the Walbro 520 at 87 lph

Walbro has other options I can see on ebay but not on walbro's own website. They are;

Walbro G55242 at 190 lph
    walbro 5CA249-2 at 155 lph

trying to find out which one can and will drop in without modification and function properly but Walbro's support line is for sales only and they know nothing else.

Size your pump according to your engine's needs. If all your engine requires close to 87 lph get 87 lph, not 110 lph, 190 lph, or 255 lph.

EDIT: 165 HP (naturally aspirated) @ 39 psi requires 58 lph. Add 20% means 70 lph is the most you need.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-03-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

So apparently Walbro.com and walbrofuelpumps.com are 2 separate entities. I called walbrofuelpumps.com yesterday and got no useful info but today I called the number listed on the walbro.com website and they pit me on with their automotive fuel pump expert.

He agreed that the Walbro 520 that walbrofuelpumps.com directed me to was under powered and could leave the car sluggish. The stock OE Airtex replacement in tank pump for 85-86 is 190 lph so I don't see any reason to go with less than that.

The guy at Walbro suggested the Walbro GCA710-2 kit which is 190 lph and will be just what I need. I got one from LMR. they have the kit listed for $99 but with a coupon I got it for $93. So that's what I'm using.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9350B/1986-...s242-Fuel-Pump

Wait a minute now guys. I JUST ordered a Walbro GCA710-2 myself right before this thread appeared expecting a nice upgrade over a "stock" SEFI pump. But now you're saying a stock pump IS 190 LPH? WTF? Where did this come from? I've always heard the 88 LPH number.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Stock 190 lph is complete and utter rubbish. You do not need 190 lph to support a 200-225 HP SEFI engine, much less 165 HP CFI engine.

190 lph @ 39 psi maxes out at ~540 HP
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

No experience with the specific stuff you are discussing, but a few broad comments.

On the 2.3 stuff with dual plumps, there is a resistor wire to the intank pump. Does that exist, and are you bypassing it if so on these applications?

I have had ZERO luck with airtex pumps from the part stores. two for two for failures of them on two different applications.

Be careful you are sourcing your Walbro pumps from an authorized dealer.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    No experience with the specific stuff you are discussing, but a few broad comments.

On the 2.3 stuff with dual plumps, there is a resistor wire to the intank pump. Does that exist, and are you bypassing it if so on these applications?

I have had ZERO luck with airtex pumps from the part stores. two for two for failures of them on two different applications.

Be careful you are sourcing your Walbro pumps from an authorized dealer.
    I didn't say I was advocating Airtex pumps. I merely referenced the LPH that the replacement part listed for an 85 single pump CFI Mustang. Sinnce my 84 is a CFI and has been converted to a single pump, the closest comparison was an 85 stock with CFI and dual exhaust and a single pump out of the factory.

I got my info from a Walbro tech and I ordered from LMR so there no issue with disreputability.

Airtex E2061 flows 40-50 GPH (150-190 lph). Waaaaaay too much flow for 180 HP CFI or 220-225 SEFI engines.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder