Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

The wheel requirement could be a 'mid-year change' as the early '85 didn't have the 8.8 or true-duals yet.
    It seems like '85 was a year of transition at Ford.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 02-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I have a 85 Coupe 5.0 5spd that was built in July of 85 which is late in the model year. I believe it came from the factory with an 8.8. The dating on the rear end gear tag was just before the car was built.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 02-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The "5.0" fender emblems were standard. Either the factory never put them on to begin with -- it happens but it's not the norm -- the original owner had the dealer remove them before delivery, the original owner removed them, or it has been repainted and the emblems weren't replaced.

Only the PC, Cobra, RS, Turbo RS, GT, Turbo GT, and SVO got a spoiler before 1986. The [base], Ghia, GL, GLX, GS, L, and LX did not get a spoiler before 1986.

The "5.0L HO V-8 Engine Package" with the "5-speed man O/D transmission" required P225/60VR15 tires and aluminum wheels in 1985. The reason you see a line item charge on the invoice for this car is because they were an extra cost for the LX.
    OK, I guess mine didn't require the 225/60s because it was the "5.0 HO EFI pkg with AOD". Weird that they would make that distinction though. Mine was also a Spring 85 build, so I had the "dual exhaust"-one pipe per side.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    23 replies and nobody wants to take a shot at answering the question? LOL. I think it's a neat car and probably a great car. But just because something is rare does not make it valuable, to me it doesn't anyway. Yugos are near impossible to find these days, but I'm not paying $11,600 for one just because of that. Some things are rare because they are less desirable to the general population.
    This a '85 GT with no sport seats functionally. This should not be worth more than an equal '85 GT. The problem is, almost original cars like this with low miles are harder to come by. Of course, the value is different to everyone that looks at it. What is someone willing to pay for it? Personally, I would feel okay at $6,000-7,500 if I REALLY loved it. $11,600 would buy that Canyon Red '85 GT in the classifieds right now which is equally as nice, but a lot less original. It has been for sale on here a month and nobody has jumped on that price. Reselling that Canyon Red GT would be easier down the road as well, again because it appeals to more people IMO. Good luck with your search! I hope you guys work something out and this becomes a FEP member car.
    I tend to agree with this. Its a nice car, but for the money I'd rather have a GT of the same vintage. Nicer seats, spoiler, fog lights, graphics, nicer interior trim. All without much of a weight penalty if any in 1985. I bought my LX because I got it dirt cheap and took it in on trade when I was a salesman. 900 bucks in 1995 if you can believe that. 81k miles, 5.0, AOD, a/c, power windows, defog, premium sound...in near mint condition...paint was just a little faded. I ended up "GT-ing" with a spoiler, 10 holes, graphics, and dash bezels a year later. Good times.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I believe the 15" requirement for the 5.0 came in midyear. There is a footnote in the 85 Mustang brochure about a 14" 205HR. There were 5.0 cars on Ford lots in Kansas City with 14" wheels so I know they were produced. I also know that there were mutant cars. A high school classmate had what I always thought was an 84 get because it had the 84 nose. But it had the 85 dual tail pipes and this was brand new. He later showed me his paperwork and it was an 85 model. So obviously they used up an 84 nose. You guys do know that 85 had dual tail pipes but was not true duals. I am guessing if you look under the car it goes to a single pipe into a single catalytic converter and then splits out to the dual tail pipes. I don't doubt that a few 8.8" ended up in late 85's.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

The "5.0L HO V-8 Engine Package" with the "5-speed man O/D transmission" required P225/60VR15 tires and aluminum wheels in 1985. The reason you see a line item charge on the invoice for this car is because they were an extra cost for the LX.
    Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    OK, I guess mine didn't require the 225/60s because it was the "5.0 HO EFI pkg with AOD". Weird that they would make that distinction though. Mine was also a Spring 85 build, so I had the "dual exhaust"-one pipe per side.
    That is correct. The 5.0L/AOD did not require the aluminum wheels and 15" tires in 1985.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My car does have as you described not a true dual exhaust. A two into one into two exhaust. You know I typically like LX's better than GT's but in this case I don't know. Now if it was a coupe. I would have flown out and probably bought it. I think for me if it has not been repainted and the underside is clean. I think its probably worth $8500. But I think with a little work and the smell of spring flowers it will probably sell for more. Owner says comes with original shifter and radio. Put them back in, 5.0 emblems, touch up the under hood paint, paint the air cleaner, install some under hood insulation. I think I am trying to talk myself into the car LOL. The other thing is you are paying a premium for a low mileage and what seems to be original car. If you are only going to modify it I would buy the GT that's for sale on here.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 02-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Car has been treated with rust inhibitor. The kind where the company drills small holes in the doors, rocker panels, quarter panels, etc. so they can spray on the inside. You can see the plugs in the pics.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Does that usually mean they also undercoat the car? I had an 86 LX and it had those plugs. They were blue and said Ford on them. The car was also undercoated. I pulled the rear panels once and could not believe how well the inside of the rear quarter was coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 5.0 View Post
    My car does have as you described not a true dual exhaust. A two into one into two exhaust. You know I typically like LX's better than GT's but in this case I don't know. Now if it was a coupe. I would have flown out and probably bought it. I think for me if it has not been repainted and the underside is clean. I think its probably worth $8500. But I think with a little work and the smell of spring flowers it will probably sell for more. Owner says comes with original shifter and radio. Put them back in, 5.0 emblems, touch up the under hood paint, paint the air cleaner, install some under hood insulation. I think I am trying to talk myself into the car LOL. The other thing is you are paying a premium for a low mileage and what seems to be original car. If you are only going to modify it I would buy the GT that's for sale on here.
    I too like the Notchbacks as I had a '88 that I bought in '90. Could the air cleaner have come un-painted? It seems like there would be some black on it somewhere. I'll be sure to give it a good look. I was hesitant to post up the car for discussion as last summer I lost out on a '94 Camaro 1LE that I queried about on my old Fbody forum.

I think the same thing happened to me on a Mopar forum a few years back. Again I am no expert but I have never seen a factory unpainted bottom of an air cleaner. The guy seemed honest about the car in the emails we traded. He did tell me it was the original single stage paint on the car. I was seriously considering the car but just couldn't find the time to get out to IL to look at it. Hope it turns out to be what your looking for.

The air cleaner just needs a new decal.

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    The air cleaner just needs a new decal.
    The housing should be black, not silver. not the lid, the housing. That is what they meant by that, I am not saying Ford never sold any like that, just saying that is what the person above was referring to is all.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

23 replies and nobody wants to take a shot at answering the question? LOL. I think it's a neat car and probably a great car. But just because something is rare does not make it valuable, to me it doesn't anyway. Yugos are near impossible to find these days, but I'm not paying $11,600 for one just because of that. Some things are rare because they are less desirable to the general population.
    This a '85 GT with no sport seats functionally. This should not be worth more than an equal '85 GT. The problem is, almost original cars like this with low miles are harder to come by. Of course, the value is different to everyone that looks at it. What is someone willing to pay for it? Personally, I would feel okay at $6,000-7,500 if I REALLY loved it. $11,600 would buy that Canyon Red '85 GT in the classifieds right now which is equally as nice, but a lot less original. It has been for sale on here a month and nobody has jumped on that price. Reselling that Canyon Red GT would be easier down the road as well, again because it appeals to more people IMO. Good luck with your search! I hope you guys work something out and this becomes a FEP member car.
    My thoughts exactly on the price.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

If you can pick it up for 8500 and it's all the ad states, you got a killer deal. This car isn't going down in value but I agree it's not as desirable on average as a GT. Personally, I'd rather have this one over a GT all day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    My thoughts exactly on the price.
    $6,000-7,500. I've been lookimg for a while and in Northern Illinois the only Fox bodies I see at that price are modified or otherwise flawed. The seller is flexible on price so we'll see. I met with the seller and drove the car this afternoon, thinking.......

If you can pick it up for 8500 and it's all the ad states, you got a killer deal. This car isn't going down in value but I agree it's not as desirable on average as a GT. Personally, I'd rather have this one over a GT all day every day.
    Jon, I'm with you on the LX vs. GT but I don't think $8500 is going to be acceptible to the seller. My dream would be a low option Notch but it could be years before one of those pops up, at least in my area.

Hey, there is no right answer here. You have to do what works for you. There is no place you can go look up what "this is worth". It's different for everyone. If you didn't see anything that deterred you then go for it. You might be surprised what the seller would take, there is only way to find out...
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Hey, there is no right answer here. You have to do what works for you. There is no place you can go look up what "this is worth". It's different for everyone. If you didn't see anything that deterred you then go for it. You might be surprised what the seller would take, there is only way to find out...
    Fer Sure, Thanks.

So what did you think of it? Did the paint look original? How was the underside?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    The wheel requirement could be a 'mid-year change' as the early '85 didn't have the 8.8 or true-duals yet.
    It seems like '85 was a year of transition at Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    I believe the 15" requirement for the 5.0 came in midyear. There is a footnote in the 85 Mustang brochure about a 14" 205HR. There were 5.0 cars on Ford lots in Kansas City with 14" wheels so I know they were produced.
    It was a whole year thing. It's in the Rapid Spec Ordering Guide that was printed before the model year even started and it's in the Salesperson's Price Books printed late in the model year.

1985 LX 5.0L/AOD = required P205/70VR14 BSW tires and steel wheels, P225/60VR15 BSW tires and aluminum wheels were optional
    1985 LX 5.0L/T-5 = required P225/60VR15 BSW tires and aluminum wheels

There was an extra charge with the LX for either tire, just the 14" tires were less expensive.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 5.0 View Post
    So what did you think of it? Did the paint look original? How was the underside?
    At the risk of selling it out from under myself, I'd say it's a really nice car. The paint looks original to me, I couldn't find overspray or tape lines anywhere. The underside has been undercoated with a very light coat, not bad at all.
    Last edited by guppymech; 02-21-2017 at 08:47 PM.

... matching vins on all panels (do 85's have them?)
    That didn't start on the Mustang until the 1987 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Have a look at the brake and clutch pedal wear. Does it look typical for 37K to you guys?

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/li...ustang0357.jpg

FEP Power Member

After 25k miles you will start to see some age and wear. The pedals do show some wear. For the price, it needs some serious cleaning. They are asking top dollar, the condition of the interior should be spotless. Carpets and steering wheel are dirty. I expect the bottom side of the car to have surface rust and some dirt. Things like a sagging original headliner are kind of expected. Still a nice car. Do a quick eBay search and see what else is out there.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast