Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need Advice, Looking at '85 5.0 LX Tomorrow

Hello Folks, I'm going to look at this '85 LX tomorrow and could use any advice on what would be a fair price and important things to look for. https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/6006896404.html.
    This car was listed before on CL and this was a thread on it.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...with-37K-miles
    Thanks for any help. Tom

FEP Senior Member

It looks very nice, and the price is fair if the car is as good as it looks. Its just strange that it doesn´t have the hatch spoiler and the 5.0 badges, but aside from that its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    It looks very nice, and the price is fair if the car is as good as it looks. Its just strange that it doesn´t have the hatch spoiler and the 5.0 badges, but aside from that its awesome.
    Would a 5.0 LX automatically come with the hatch spoiler? He doesn't have the 5.0 badges and says the paint has no marks from them. He thinks the original owner may have removed them.

Beautiful car but strong money. That's ok but I would have to have original paint, matching vins on all panels (do 85's have them?), and zero rust. Check the underside, shock towers and hinge areas well. Make sure the console wasn't cut to fit the radio. If all is good, I would be negotiating off of the things that are not original to the car, any mechanicals that need addressing and the rust proofing that appears to have been done. Hopefully the underside wasn't undercoated. Great looking car with cool options. Best of luck.

FEP Power Member

The rear spoiler was optional still in 85 for the LX. It was not until the 3rd brake light was federal mandated in 86, did the spoiler with the brake light become standard equipment.

Regatta Blue is not rare, just not seen often today. Low option car might hurt the value a little by the time you deduct for no AC and no auto trans. Missing the correct radio starts heading down the modified path. The hood pad seems to be missing and I'm pretty sure it should be there. The lower air cleaner is typically painted black but this one is not.... I also see the door striker bushing is missing.

Probably not a bad price but not exactly a perfect original example (very close). Maybe closer to a GT price.
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-20-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Beautiful car but strong money. That's ok but I would have to have original paint, matching vins on all panels (do 85's have them?), and zero rust. Check the underside, shock towers and hinge areas well. Make sure the console wasn't cut to fit the radio. If all is good, I would be negotiating off of the things that are not original to the car, any mechanicals that need addressing and the rust proofing that appears to have been done. Hopefully the underside wasn't undercoated. Great looking car with cool options. Best of luck.
    I'm hoping the underside wasn't undercoated as that stuff can hide a lot of things. I'll be looking at nuts, bolts and other underbody hardware for factory zinc or cad coatings. Zero rust is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The rear spoiler was optional still in 85 for the LX. It was not until the 3rd brake light was federal mandated in 86, did the spoiler with the brake light become standard equipment.
    Kevin in your experience as a MCA Judge, what do you think about the lack of 5.0 fender badges?

I had an 85 LX 5.0 bought from the original owner back in the mid 90s. They were not available with rear spoilers-only the GTs got those. And I'm about 98% sure the 10 hole wheels were not available on the LX, so those might not be original. Mine had 14" wheels with covers and 205/70 tires.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Sweet car though!
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

You saw all kinds of combo 5.0 LX's back in the day. There would be some with 10 holes and 5.0 emblem. Some with 5.0 emblem and the 14" wheels. So this vehicle does not sound unbelievable.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

85 5.0's with 14" wheels? Never heard of that. Looking forward to the experts weighing in. That car does desperately need a set of nos 5.0 badges though! And a motorcraft battery please.

Mine did have the 5.0 badges. Also it was called the "5.0 liter HO package" for the LX. If memory serves, it included the engine (CFI AOD or 4 bbl 5speed), the GT suspension, and the 205 HR 14 wheels. The guy I bought it from was in his 60s and the original owner, so I doubt he changed anything.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

You are correct. No you didn't not see them everyday. But they definitely existed. Likely those without 5.0 emblems, they were removed or stolen because there were guys who did have 5.0 envy

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Mine did have the 5.0 badges. Also it was called the "5.0 liter HO package" for the LX. If memory serves, it included the engine (CFI AOD or 4 bbl 5speed), the GT suspension, and the 205 HR 14 wheels. The guy I bought it from was in his 60s and the original owner, so I doubt he changed anything.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Also, according to the window sticker, it is not a "no option" car, but a low option. The sticker reads; Tilt Wheel, Light Group, Goodyear VR60 tires, etc. Cool car though

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Also, according to the window sticker, it is not a "no option" car, but a low option. The sticker reads; Tilt Wheel, Light Group, Goodyear VR60 tires, etc. Cool car though
    That answers the wheel tire combo question. 10 holes.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by guppymech View Post
    Kevin in your experience as a MCA Judge, what do you think about the lack of 5.0 fender badges?
    I would expect to see 5.0 badges on the 85 LX car with the v8 and the GT. Its hard to say if the were forgotten by the factory, removed by the owner and I don't recall an option to delete them. Its a simple fix to install them. I would buy some NOS ones and keep or install them. By MCA rules, you would probably be dinged some points for them missing unless listed on the dealer invoice. A mistake by Ford is still a mistake. If it shipped with Capri 10 holes center caps, it's still a mistake to be fixed.

By 1985, many of the options were being rolled into packages such as the 5.0 package (or what ever it was called). 85 and 86 models were very similar except for the SEFI and the rear spoiler option. Prior to 85, tire and suspension packages were options. Late 85, the 10 holes became standard equipment on the LX 5.0.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    That answers the wheel tire combo question. 10 holes.
    Bingo.

Thanks Kevin. Anyone have an opinion on what to pay, assuming it's as good as it looks in the pics? I have a short vid of it but am having trouble uploading. *EDIT* Video uploaded, see post #21.
    Last edited by guppymech; 02-21-2017 at 09:26 AM.

I think that price is about right. Though maybe a little strong, hard to see the little details till your there in person.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Bingo.
    Yup, my bad, I went back and checked. The 14" steelies with turbine covers were the standard wheel with the 5.0 pkg. The 10 holes with 60s were optional. But you still got the GT/quadrashock suspension.

Nice car. Hope you get it.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Video, One thing I see is two rust spots on the inside of the hood by the latch. The seller said they've been there a long time without changing, personally I woud've fixed them right away. It's raining today, probably have to see it tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/ZY7PaRCurWs
    Last edited by guppymech; 02-21-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Yup, my bad, I went back and checked. The 14" steelies with turbine covers were the standard wheel with the 5.0 pkg. The 10 holes with 60s were optional. But you still got the GT/quadrashock suspension.

Nice car. Hope you get it.
    Thanks, If I lined up the window sticker items correctly the 10 holes with 225/60vr15 tires were a $665 option which is crazy expensive considering the 5.0 cost $1000.

The "5.0" fender emblems were standard. Either the factory never put them on to begin with -- it happens but it's not the norm -- the original owner had the dealer remove them before delivery, the original owner removed them, or it has been repainted and the emblems weren't replaced.

Only the PC, Cobra, RS, Turbo RS, GT, Turbo GT, and SVO got a spoiler before 1986. The [base], Ghia, GL, GLX, GS, L, and LX did not get a spoiler before 1986.

The "5.0L HO V-8 Engine Package" with the "5-speed man O/D transmission" required P225/60VR15 tires and aluminum wheels in 1985. The reason you see a line item charge on the invoice for this car is because they were an extra cost for the LX.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

23 replies and nobody wants to take a shot at answering the question? LOL. I think it's a neat car and probably a great car. But just because something is rare does not make it valuable, to me it doesn't anyway. Yugos are near impossible to find these days, but I'm not paying $11,600 for one just because of that. Some things are rare because they are less desirable to the general population.
    This a '85 GT with no sport seats functionally. This should not be worth more than an equal '85 GT. The problem is, almost original cars like this with low miles are harder to come by. Of course, the value is different to everyone that looks at it. What is someone willing to pay for it? Personally, I would feel okay at $6,000-7,500 if I REALLY loved it. $11,600 would buy that Canyon Red '85 GT in the classifieds right now which is equally as nice, but a lot less original. It has been for sale on here a month and nobody has jumped on that price. Reselling that Canyon Red GT would be easier down the road as well, again because it appeals to more people IMO. Good luck with your search! I hope you guys work something out and this becomes a FEP member car.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

So I also inquired about this car. The lack of emblems made me think it was repainted. Also the trim on the windows is obviously not chrome. I am by no means an expert but I don't remember seeing a LX without chrome trim? I always see GT's without the chrome trim. Dash pad is also cracked which of course is almost always the case. I am not knocking the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast