Close

Default blowing 30 amp fuse at starter solenoid after replacement and sve 130 amp alternator

sve 130 amp alternator upgrade (86 mustang GT), overall easy install done with hand tools. Exception: used dremel and cut off wheels to modify bracket.
    notes: -bottom bolt on alternator must be tightened to threads at back of bracket before top bolt or will not line up.
    - make sure 4g power cable is on correct post of starter solenoid - I simply did this by watching video which was different set up than my own.
    (everything should be on post with postive battery cable except power cable going to starter!
    Last edited by tillryan86; 02-19-2017 at 10:46 PM.

I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing. Where did you put the new alternator power wire? When you say the post opposite the positive battery cable, does that mean you put it on the other solenoid post where the starter wire goes?

But it sounds like you've got a short. What did you do with the old alternator power wire? Is it possible it's still hooked up to power and touching ground on the other end?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

short was caused by putting 4g wire on wrong post - the wiring needed do re done anyway so i did with in line fuses (30 amp) and all is ok. Wasnt paying attention at that point and went by image is instructions and not by understanding (lesson learned). thanks for response.
    Last edited by tillryan86; 02-19-2017 at 11:05 PM.

What is the 30 amp fuse for?
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    What is the 30 amp fuse for?
    The fusible links that lead to starter solenoid. One was old stiff and brittle so I replaced with in line fuse. 16 gauge wire which holds the blade style fuse. I used 30 amp. This worked out bc I did have a short and if I only were to use wire it would have started a fire but instead the fuse blew.

Not a good idea to replace the fusible link with a fuse in this location. I have done this in the past with bad results. No safety issue but according to FMCo the reason a fusible link was used in this location is because of voltage spikes from the solenoid circuit bowing a standard fuse from time to time. Just passing along the Info.

Matthew

A 16 guage wire would probably not be large enough for an actual 30 amp load.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar