Close

Default Stock '83 intake and Weiand 8011 intake

Nothing really technical here but I thought maybe someone would like to see a comparison of the two intakes. The Ford part came with my 1983 Capri and the Weiand I just picked up a few weeks ago.

Just from the pictures I would suppose, and hope, that the Weiand flows better.

One of my first thoughts was that I should take the Ford part to the shop at work and mill those webs away from below the carb and then smooth some inside edges. Wish I had a flow bench to experiment with to see what the results would be.

Name:  IMG_1247.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  137.2 KB
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...

You can also cut the center divider on the Weird down about 3/4".
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

On changing the W, it depends upon what you are going to do with the car. 1/4 mile drag only sure cut it or get a single plane. Street use - remember that dual plane intakes always give better low end torque than singles do - usually they give better area under the curve.

I would gasket match the W and gasket match the heads too and leave the center section alone.

The car is gonna be a pleasure driver, no racing, etc. Original plan was to restore whole vehicle to 1983 level but then plans changed. Right now I've got the headers, 2.5" exhaust, roller rockers, and the newer intake.

You think no need for a carb spacer then considering the intended use?
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...

Quote Originally Posted by pavil58fep View Post
    The car is gonna be a pleasure driver, no racing, etc. Original plan was to restore whole vehicle to 1983 level but then plans changed. Right now I've got the headers, 2.5" exhaust, roller rockers, and the newer intake.

You think no need for a carb spacer then considering the intended use?
    If you're considering a spacer for heat deflection purposes, like phenolic, go for it. There's no reason with your intended use for a carb spacer for the purpose of increasing the plenum volume on what looks like Weiand has plenty.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/