Close

Default 84 LX Convertible value ?

So this is kinda a weird one for me to value. PO died and I bought it not running , but it's now purring. It started as a v6 but was converted to v8. Best conversion I have ever seen. Even the Ford mechanics could find no faults, it had a transmission leak I had them fix. All Later model Stock components used, I believe it was 92 as there was a manual for that included. Springs still have the Ford stickers. Has 127k original miles. PO bought it in 96 with 98k and started the conversion in 2004 finished in 2005 . Car has had 2500 miles on it since then, 500 by me in the last couple weeks. It drives as to be expected , tight and right. Paint was done then also , it's a good paint job, but not what I would consider top show quality. You can see some orange peel. Has a couple little paint chips that have been touched up on the hood and I caused a little damage to the paint on the lower front bumper unloading it, only really noticeable if looking. New seat upholstery and top at that time also.

Engine:
    347 Stroker Ford block
    GT-40X heads
    E303 cam
    Forged H-beam rods
    Cast crank
    windage tray
    Scorpion 1.6 RR
    Stealth intake
    Summit carb
    Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers
    2 1/2 O/R H-pipe
    Flowmaster Cat back
    rebuilt distributor recurved for all in at 3000
    Holley electric rear fuel pump

Transmission:
    AOD with 4r70w gearset 2.84 first , 1.55 second
    Lentech Strip Terminator valve body calibrated for the gears
    2500rpm converter

Differential:
    3.55 rear gears

Body:
    Top replaced with paint
    Ford full length rocker reinforcements
    Strut tower brace
    K-member brace
    89 LX tail lights
    LMR TRX wheels

Problems:
    AC needs charged, which I'll do
    Cruise doesn't work, though it does appear to be hooked up, haven't trouble shot yet
    Top goes up kinda slow.
    Looks like someone stuck a cover over the dash at one point and you can see where the adhesive pulled color, has a crack that runs between 3 holes in the center speaker opening

Last edited by 4eyedfoxdriver; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

Come on guys, 15 views not 1 opinion . I thought they were like Mustangs, everyone's got one

Here's the deal, I bought this car with every intention of loving and driving it. But after taking a nice long day cruise with the wife yesterday we decided when it comes to taking trips the 83 is the one we'd want to take. So I'm really thinking I will pass this one on and keep my Capri. Hopefully a forum member who will treat this car as I feel it deserves will be interested. I want to be fair on the price , at least to the right buyer, but finding a similar example for sale is impossible really.

Thanks.

Personally, I'm jealous of it...

It's my favorite color combo, like my own, but you've got the 5.0 with automatic transmission. It looks even more fabulous since you put TRX wheels on it.

It's a gorgeous car from top to bottom. Enjoy it in the best of health.
    Last edited by Gemini1999; 02-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thanks . It is a very nice car. It just it didn't turn out to fit us and the driving we do.

I really can't believe no one will give me a single opinion on the value of this car.

Sorry Adam, all the mods and updates make it difficult for me to value. I would suggest that it might help if the title of your post said something about looking for a value.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Power Member

An original low miles car, I would put at $10K. This is a mix-match of parts, even if it looks good. I see 86 exhaust, rusty brake booster, spots on the dash pad and then the 5.0 conversion. I see the price dropping down quickly. Maybe not as much as a salvage title but its a big variation from factory. Want-a-be stock look but really heavily modified. I did not note the actual miles. I would value it at $6k maybe a little more if you really like it. From a modified perspective, I really don't know.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks Jim, no need to be sorry , I edited my title. But really just looking for opinions no need to worry about being right, and my feelings won't get hurt.

You know it's funny, at least around here, this might be the one time listing it as a 302 might be better then a 347 lol . I wish I could get a dual snorkel under that brace.

I had one person pm me an estimate of $7500 - $8500

One side of me says that's a fair assessment, another side of me looks at what it would cost to reproduce. Probably 20K , at half that would be 10k. 10 k for a low mechanical mileage car ain't bad for a driver.

So is 10k out of line?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    An original low miles car, I would put at $10K. This is a mix-match of parts, even if it looks good. I see 86 exhaust, rusty brake booster, spots on the dash pad and then the 5.0 conversion. I see the price dropping down quickly. Maybe not as much as a salvage title but its a big variation from factory. Want-a-be stock look but really heavily modified. I did not note the actual miles. I would value it at $6k maybe a little more if you really like it. From a modified perspective, I really don't know.
    See opinions. You see heavily modified, I see aluminum heads ecam and shift kit = slightly modded. You see the conversion hurting value, I see it helping value from the v6 .

Thanks for your input.

I would put it in the $7500 to $8500 range as well. You might get more from the right buyer. But they are extremely hard to find. The spectrum of buyers for our cars tends to swing to the outer extremes with not much room for in the middle. They are either looking for a cheap car to go fast or a perfect car to make a profit on. This car falls in between.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Thanks Jim, no need to be sorry , I edited my title. But really just looking for opinions no need to worry about being right, and my feelings won't get hurt.

You know it's funny, at least around here, this might be the one time listing it as a 302 might be better then a 347 lol . I wish I could get a dual snorkel under that brace.

I had one person pm me an estimate of $7500 - $8500

One side of me says that's a fair assessment, another side of me looks at what it would cost to reproduce. Probably 20K , at half that would be 10k. 10 k for a low mechanical mileage car ain't bad for a driver.

So is 10k out of line?
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were looking at pricing opinions...I was so dazzled by the photos, I missed that.

I know that I stated that I loved that it had A/T, but the general consensus in the 4-eye community is that a 5-speed would be the #1 choice. Some folks will look at the price of 10k and be mentally pricing a tranny swap right off. As someone else mentioned, the 5.0 is preferred over the V-6, but for someone looking for an all original car will give it a miss because of the swap. Either way, you're gonna take a price hit because of those two factors.

If you price it at 10k, how quickly are you planning to have it sold? If you're not in a hurry and you can afford to hang onto it long enough to find the right buyer at the right price, then you can take your time. If you want to sell it more quickly, then you might want to consider dropping the price a bit. If you intend to sell it for more than 6 or 7, this car needs to be as perfect as you can get it. Clean and detail the engine compartment, give the undercarriage a good spraying, make sure that the interior has any imperfections or flaws corrected and be as clean as possible. You mentioned the cost to replicate the current condition? One thing I've heard time and again on this forum is that with the money we spend on our cars, we'll never get that same dollar amount back out of them. I bought mine in fairly good original condition for 3000 and spent almost that much on it and I'm still not done. I'll probably spend almost 10 by the time I'm done, so even if I were to sell it, I'd have to find the right buyer at the right price.

If you want top dollar, then it has to look top dollar. You want that car to be a sparkling diamond inside and out to get what you're asking. Is what you're asking unreasonable? No, but a little elbow grease can make all the difference to someone who's looking to buy.
    Bryan

Really thanks for the input guys. I like seeing how others see these cars and where we're at with them.
    The spectrum of buyers for our cars tends to swing to the outer extremes with not much room for in the middle. They are either looking for a cheap car to go fast or a perfect car to make a profit on. This car falls in between.
    I know what you mean. This car is a great driver if you're looking for a 4eyed vert to drive. Most here aren't. This is a Restomod , if you will. It's just done with Ford parts used on later years.

I know that I stated that I loved that it had A/T, but the general consensus in the 4-eye community is that a 5-speed would be the #1 choice. Some folks will look at the price of 10k and be mentally pricing a tranny swap right off. As someone else mentioned, the 5.0 is preferred over the V-6, but for someone looking for an all original car will give it a miss because of the swap. Either way, you're gonna take a price hit because of those two factors.
    I to like my 5 speed better. But with the upgrades to this one, I almost have to wash this. Because while more people are looking for the 5 speed, if you want an auto, this is the one to have. OK reality check, this was a v6 car with 125k at the time of motor swap. There is no way this takes a hit for having a mild built 347 over a stock v6 . Unless it's 100% stock and under 20k I don't think the demand for the v6 is very high.

Like stated this car will need the right buyer.

Something that just started floating around in my head. Do I put a EFI system on it and take it to Mecum. We have one coming up next month it could be the right venue .

Different period correct steering wheel, '83 tails, a detail, then mecum. '84 restomod/hotrod mustang. Again, sweet ride!

I'm thinking I'd really like to see this go to someone from the FEP community. The original builder obviously loved this car and I feel like it deserves some respect. It does have a few little things and will never really be a show car. But is basically a low mileage mechanically , refreshed car. A great driver.
    Last edited by 4eyedfoxdriver; 02-25-2017 at 11:14 PM.

It is somewhat bizarre. Who builds a 347 stroker convertible cruiser? To each their own though. Makes the world go around. The only thing I see that troubles me is that welded-on strap H pipe hanger. The parts to do it right are so available and so everywhere. Wonder what else.....it makes me think. Sorry, I am OCD I guess.
    I would keep the TRX wheels yourself and drop the price down. Sell those on their own. The 10 holes days are numbered. First mod anyone will do is yank those for something else. The car drivetrain is modified and the rest of the car is crying to catch up. They can't all be stock and they shouldn't all be stock. I would finish modifying it. The car looks incredible inside and out. It's a great color combo and It shows really honest and it looks really nice and dry underneath which is a real positive. I would put $6,200 on it and take anything over $5,500. My opinion. What did you say some posts up? opinions....just that.
    If you want $7,500 out of it, 5 lug it with real spindles and rotors and put some big brakes and 4 wheel disks and nice rims on it. THAT would be a $7,500 car possibly.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Last edited by homer302; 02-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Man you are harsh, lol.... around here you can't find a rust free v8 in any kind of condition for $5500 . I would pay that for this car all day every day.
    Last edited by 4eyedfoxdriver; 02-25-2017 at 11:14 PM.

You might enjoy this...except for the engine bay and some other minor details, it could be the same car.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Man you are harsh, lol.... around here you can't find a rust free v8 in any kind of condition for $5500 . I would pay that for this car all day every day.

$7000 would be my bottom dollar.
    Hey, you said it. Opinions are just that. The right buyer is certainly out there. And the purpose for the sale can make a huge difference in the price too. If you NEED to sell it, you will take less. If you are willing to let it sit until you get what you want for it, you likely will. Lots of factors involved. At the same time, from a buyers perspective, $7,000 will buy a much newer aero 'vert. Most people (not all) don't care as long as it's a Mustang. The fact that it's a four eye (for most people) just means it's older. But somewhere, there is someone searching specifically for a four eyed vert like this one.
    If I take a '69 coupe and install a Dynacorn fastback conversion kit on it and park it next to an identical REAL '69 fastback that is the same color with the same options, engine and mileage and is in exactly the same condition, is the one that was converted worth more or the one that came that way?
    And as far as finding one that's not rusty for $5,500, that depends on where you live.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

You might enjoy this...except for the engine bay and some other minor details, it could be the same car.
    Yeah that's a nice car, and real close to the same. They had a couple other ones that I feel are a better comparison ,as far as builds go, for prices and they are both around 12,900. Not that I think mine or theirs is worth that.

And as far as finding one that's not rusty for $5,500, that depends on where you live. They are everywhere here in the south.
    I challenge you to find 3 similar cars for $5500 . Nice paint, nice interior, either lower miles, or mechanically restored. Can be any year of fox Mustang.

Here's a few comparisons from around here.
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5999205724.html
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6009454469.html
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5996414797.html
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5953745425.html
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5990525437.html
    My need to sale stems from my 83 is now outside, and I don't like it. Trust me if I had the garage space I would keep this .

Not only do I have zero interest in further wasting my time on any sort of challenge I am finished with this conversation. I suggest you don't ask for opinions in the future as the only two people who have offered one differing with what you clearly have already established as the value, you have antagonized. KevinK is obviously is smarter than I and did not attempt to further explain his position.
    This is a case of the proverbial wife who asks her husband if she is fat. There is only one answer to that question as apparently there is only one to this one. Yes, your car is worth $7,500 all day long.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Really man, it's a thread on the forum having a discussion, lighten up a little perhaps . I said " challenge" because if there are cars like this for $5500 I would like to know.
    Obviously I had not established a value, and have adjusted what I thought it was worth as opinions have came in.

Anyway sorry you wasted your time...