Close

Thread: Rear end swap

Threaded View

Default Rear end swap

I have spent some time researching but have not gained the kind of understanding that gets through my thick skull. My car (85 conv.. converted to a V8 ) is running 4.11 gears in a transplanted 8.8 rear end. I have questioned all of the old hardcore gear heads around me, which is an admittedly small group as I live in rural Georgia. Everyone is telling me that the only people that they would trust to swap out a ring and pinion are either way way way too expensive, dead, or drunk and retired. That my best bet is to swap out the whole pumpkin with one that has the ratio that I want... 3.08 gears.
    I am pretty sure I can find someone to trade with me or to work out a deal with, but I have no knowledge whatsoever of rear end applications by vehicle.
    What kind of a rear end am I looking for? That is to say out of a pickup, out of a Mustang, out of an explorer, etc... in regards to the input and output areas.
    It is something that I have never had to learn thus far. I don't know enough to make a post about what im looking for.
    Educate me?
    Last edited by Toid; 02-17-2017 at 10:29 AM.