Close

Default 1986 Mustang GT 5-speed - Glendale, Ca

I am the original owner of this loaded, rust free, mostly stock 1986 California Mustang GT; I believe the color of the interior is medium canyon red; vehicle is in Glendale, California, a suburb of Los Angeles.
    The important stuff:
    The car has about 531K miles on the original motor (believe it!) and runs like a champ, mostly highway miles with the 2.73 rear end. I know that is a lot of miles but I hardly ever get on it and have been maintaining it; the 86 motor is a low RPM torque monster so it does not need to be wound out. The car never fails to start and is my daily driver; would have no trouble driving it anywhere across the country.
    Title is clear but salvaged - with older cars, any bump and the insurance will total the car.
    Price: $3000 OBHO (or best higher offer, ) - actually, I have no real idea of where to price the car since there are not that many 31 year old cars on the road any more; will probably also put it on ebay to get an idea.

The interior looks great and has no tears on the seats but the headliner has a few smaller ones but is not hanging anywhere.
    Also as you might see on the picture, there are two cracks on the dashboard.
    Replaced the passenger visor some time ago and it is like new but the driver visor need replacing.
    Radio still works but scratchy out of some speakers and the tape player quit some time ago; not sure if it can be revived as I haven't used tapes in a long time.
    Upgraded to adjustable clutch quadrant.

Engine runs great but has not been rebuilt except for a valve cover gasket ages ago; a lot of parts are newer like starter, ignition module, water pump, rear end, battery, windshield, etc.
    Uses K&N filter with Flowmaster II exhaust.
    Clutch and transmission were replaced about 18 month ago and then the transmission was again rebuilt as the replacement wasn't working perfectly - now shifts are buttery smooth, better than ever, even when the car was new; a real joy to short shift and let the engine torque pull you away!
    It does leak a few drops a day (from the rear main seal I think from looking at it) so it goes low about a quart every 2500 miles but by then it is time to change the oil anyway.
    A/C works and was recharged about a year ago.

I stripped the car down to metal a couple of years ago and had it repainted and have included some pictures of the process; the paint still looks great from 10 feet away but inevitably with time there are some scratches and chips so don't expect perfection; paint color is Viper Red and you may notice that the hood has black paint, not a sticker and I altered the design to go all the way down to the lip which I think looks much better than stock (your mileage may vary).

I think I covered it all? Let me know if I missed something or you have any ? or want specific pictures (somehow you can only put 5 on the thread which is not nearly enough and I don't know how to add more)
    Reason that I am selling now; the registration is coming up in March and I have more cars than I can handle and with retirement knocking on the door I need to downsize, so either my 86 IROC or this one needs to go, whichever comes first

Thank You for looking and Happy Hunting,
    Cheers,
    Abe

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by tomcatfitness; 02-25-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Price: $3800 OBHO (or best higher offer, ) - actually, I have no real idea of where to price the car since there are not that many 31 year old cars on the road any more; will probably also put it on ebay to get an idea.
    Just to give you an idea, I paid $3K for an 86 GT 6 months ago. Stock with a Pypes Stainless cat back, mass air conversion, Ford clutch quadrant (I still have no idea what that is...) and 3G alternator conversion. Everything else is stock, monochrome white paint was literally painted on with a brush. Looked OK from 100 feet, total mess up close. Good luck with the sale.

HAHAHHA - That paint story is funny, mine is better than that.
    Thanks for the price point, I think I'll lower mine to that.

I totally forgot about that Ford Clutch Quadrant, I upgraded mine to that too.
    The original plastic automatic clutch adjuster down by the clutch will eventually wear out at which point the petal will simply go to the floor if the teeth are worn or make it very hard to disengage the clutch so when that piece of plastic junk goes the typical upgrade is to trash the whole assembly down there and replace it with a metal quadrant and add a knurled adjuster where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall. Sometimes they go cheap and don't add the adjuster but that is bad juju! Take a look at where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall - hopefully there you will find the adjuster; you only need it if you want to adjust the clutch pick-up (like when an old clutch cable stretches). Thanks again for the reply.

We both learned something today!

Yes, but how many passes has it made at the drag strip?!

Have you REALLY enjoyed a Foxbody 5.0L for what it is if you haven't burnt off a brand new pair of rear tires in one night of raising hell and drag racing? .....

Or an SCCA track?

well - to each their own.

Mine "only" has a touch under 445K on it and does use oil so clearly I've beat some life out of mine.

Just had to give a shout out. That's the most miles I've seen on an original 5.0L. Mine is now #2 on my list, but it still sees the rev limiter weekly.

Wow...original owner with over half-million miles?! You can't possibly let that thing go now man, you gotta keep it for life and strive for a million

Makes me wonder if there is another Fox Mustang on this site (or ANYWHERE) still running strong at half-million on the original motor??
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Wow...original owner with over half-million miles?! You can't possibly let that thing go now man, you gotta keep it for life and strive for a million

Makes me wonder if there is another Fox Mustang on this site (or ANYWHERE) still running strong at half-million on the original motor??
    I was thinking the same thing. See how far that engine goes. When I tore my 86 engine apart at 200k miles, it still had the cross hatch in the cylinders. The valve guides were a little loose, but the lower end looked like it had 20k instead of 200k.

If you want to sell it bring it to the La Canada theater at 7:00 in the morning on any Sat. Put a sign in it for 3,000. You'll probably sell it fast.
    85 5.0. 68 cougar- hidden four eye.
    12 5.0
    02 6er

Sounds crazy but I want this solely because of the mileage.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    Sounds crazy but I want this solely because of the mileage.
    How long has it been since you bought another Fox?..............You are probably long overdue and just the man to take it to the million mark!
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Ron it has been a while. But My projects are far from done. There is no doubt I can get this to a million. If it's gone this far, whats another 400? Between three of my foxes right now there is 500K miles all original engines never apart.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009