Close

Lightbulb Carbon Fiber Bellhousing

Would any of you buy a carbon fiber bellhousing for the weight savings? Thinking of some ways to trim some weight on my fox.

I have seen titanium bellhousings but not carbon fiber. For me I would question the safety but if its SFI approved I guess it would be ok. Do you have any pics or is it something you are going to have made?

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Blog Entries

There are a hundred ways to trim weight off of a car without going to a carbon fibre bell. I'd pass unless it is an ultimate effort race vehicle, and then I'd still want a steel explosion containment bell.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

FEP Super Member

The drive shaft in the Gt 500 is carbon fibre .
    The blanket , might be required in any spec race .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The stock t5 bell housing weighs 10lbs. Im sure there are a ton of easier/cheaper places to loose weight.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I was going to fabricate the bellhousing myself. I make carbon fiber parts for a variety of applications and was even thinking of making some replica pieces both interior and exterior for the foureye stang. The carbon fiber can be reinforced to create a rigid part, I just thought this would be a unique project to take on, haven't seen any info on them.

Blog Entries

It would be interesting, I'm just not sure of the real benifits. Now, a carbon fibre dash----
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I know steel bellhousings weigh in the realm of 22 lbs, I'd reckon I can drop the weight down to about 2-5 lbs, I haven't made any parts for this car yet, but thinking of it I do have all the interior out already, it wouldn't be a bad idea to mess around with it
    Last edited by ironcore10; 02-13-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: I'm a dumbass

I don't think the lbs saved vs dollars spent ratio would be favorable.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I don't think the lbs saved vs dollars spent ratio would be favorable.
    Generally speaking, it should run me about 100 dollars in materials, PROBABLY even a little less. $3.94-$5.75 per pound in weight savings. That might be a mod I'll only consider when I'm doing a transmission swap. I believe bellhousings run in the ballpark of 225?

Sounds like a bomb ready to go off to me but I did a search and there is such a thing so apparently it is not. I know Formula 1 cars use it extensively for high stress suspension parts. I have witnessed a clutch explosion though first hand and I would not feel safe with one unless it had a steel scattershield over it which would likely remove any weight savings from the part itself. A clutch CAN kill you! For real. if you have a minute, go search "clutch explosion" and check out some of those pictures. No thanks.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I would love to save weight in mine, but ....

I cant believe that it could ever be SFI rated or somewhere in the big budget world, someone would be doing it.

As critical as anything is alignment of the bell to the block and transmission in regards to alignment. Getting the transmission pilot bore right would seem like a major challenge.

I know CF is strong, but there are some pretty amazing forces involved that the bellhousing would need to take that you will likely learn by experience, and getting that experience is dangerous.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Just food for thought, honestly love carbon, if i could I would carbon fiber everything <3 I think I'll make a prototype sometime in the future, but I'm going to focus on molding restoration parts for the car.