Close

Thread: Hvac

Default Hvac

I'm getting ready to whack a hole in my firewall to add an a/c hvac module in place of my non a/c box. I have one from a 79 and an sn95, has anyone ever laid them side by side? I may be over complicating this, you can see where I'm going. I will retain the fox dash for sure.

You need all the interior ducting as well as the dash bezels. Also the 2 bolts that attach the heater box to the firewall are in a different spot and obviously, you are aware you have to drill the hole for the AC drain as well as the evaporator lines where they pass through the firewall. You can retain your fresh air ducts if you want and have the best of both worlds. Also you will have to figure out a way to attach the additional bracket that supports the box on the inside. The AC box is heavier so they added another hanger on the passenger side.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    You need all the interior ducting as well as the dash bezels. Also the 2 bolts that attach the heater box to the firewall are in a different spot and obviously, you are aware you have to drill the hole for the AC drain as well as the evaporator lines where they pass through the firewall. You can retain your fresh air ducts if you want and have the best of both worlds. Also you will have to figure out a way to attach the additional bracket that supports the box on the inside. The AC box is heavier so they added another hanger on the passenger side.
    I have installed the vac box from an 01 into my 91 Notch.
    As far as the studs that hold the box to the fire wall , they are in the same location .
    I also did not need to modify the drain tube , both slip right into place .
    I did need to trim the factory hole for the A/c lines 1/8 inch at the bottom .
    You can not even see that it was trimmed .
    I did use the 01 dash , so I can not add any information about the fitment of the duct work, but as I looked them both over , there did not appear to be any difference , where the plenum attaches.
    I swapped the boxes , because I put a Cobra 4.6 in my car , and the heater hoses are very close and needed the special hoses to make it work right .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

See, now you guys are gonna make me tear the box from the sn and mock it up. Ac to non ac box firewall bolts are in different locations, but if I can put new frame rails in I should be able to move a couple holes. I took firewall pics of th 79 ac and the 95 ac, and they are close on the outside. I wasn't sure about the inside, door actuaton and such. Now I'll pull it because hybrid hoses to go from 79 evaporator to 95 condenser... uggh. Plus 95 parts are prolly easier to find also and then the whole system will match
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 02-18-2017 at 09:56 PM.

FEP Super Member

I would update it , as you said , the newer parts are easier to get .
    The center tunnel for the trans , the rockers , minor stuff , but the fire wall and engine compartment , up to 04 ,were almost identical to 79 .
    Some changes , of course , but when I took the fenders off the 01 Cobra for the swap, to the front inner fender rails , had 84 part numbers ..
    It had not been wrecked in the front .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right