Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anybody have any input on the belt question?

I am getting a little tripped up on the serpentine belt. Can anyone inform me about the difference between the dealer and factory installed A/C? I see two different belt routings for the 3.8. One has the A/C compressor mounted on the top left of the engine with P/S pump on the lower left and everything driven from one belt. The other has the A/C compressor mounted down on the lower left of the engine with the P/S pump on the upper left and the A/C is driven off of the P/S pump with its own separate belt. Are these the difference between factory and dealer installed A/C? The car is a Squire and it is pretty loaded so I would be surprised if it didn't come with factory A/C, but I don't know how these things were built. The engine in this has the A/C compressor driven by a separate belt from the P/S pump.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I am getting a little tripped up on the serpentine belt. Can anyone inform me about the difference between the dealer and factory installed A/C? I see two different belt routings for the 3.8. One has the A/C compressor mounted on the top left of the engine with P/S pump on the lower left and everything driven from one belt. The other has the A/C compressor mounted down on the lower left of the engine with the P/S pump on the upper left and the A/C is driven off of the P/S pump with its own separate belt. Are these the difference between factory and dealer installed A/C? The car is a Squire and it is pretty loaded so I would be surprised if it didn't come with factory A/C, but I don't know how these things were built. The engine in this has the A/C compressor driven by a separate belt from the P/S pump.
    On my 86 LTD with factory AC, the AC compressor is below the PS pump on the left ( driver's ) side, and driven by the PS pump with a separate small belt.

That's how my 87 cfi 3.8 cougar was as well.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Hmm. So is the A/C compressor mounted up high and everything driven with one belt the dealer installed A/C or did they just have two different versions and the compressor mounting location has nothing to do with dealer versus factory? Seems strange. I am looking at the belt routing diagram on page two post #41 in the service manual picture that shows the two different A/C belt routings.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...eir-3-8L/page2

Maybe I am just overthinking this. So it looks like there are three different main drive belts. There is a 77.5" 6 groove belt that is for cars with no A/C. There is a 80.5" 6 groove belt that is for cars with factory A/C. Finally there is a 96.0" 6 groove belt that is for cars with dealer installed A/C. Looking at the picture from the post linked above it would appear that the compressor mounted high up above the power steering pump would use a longer belt so I can only assume that is the dealer installed compressor location. Therefore the car I am buying must have factory installed A/C and I am just going to get the 80.5" belt. Thank you to all for coming along with me on this journey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12