Close

Default Aluminum driveshaft

Thinking about getting a ford racing aluminum Driveshaft for my 82 gt. Any input or suggestions.thanks

Less rotating mass is a great thing. Especially if you have steeper (numerically higher) rear gears.

Most of our cars have many miles which means the slip yoke on our driveshafts are well past their prime. Your tail shaft bushing in your transmission will thank you!

Great time to use the special tool to put in a new bushing along with a seal.

Do it! Share your experience!

I installed one back when they were $159 because I was too lazy to have the U-joints swapped and since they were 20 years old (at the time) I figured they could stand to be replaced. There was absolutely on change whatsoever that any human could notice in how it drove but sure, it's less rotating mass so how can that not be a good thing?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I installed one back when they were $159 because I was too lazy to have the U-joints swapped and since they were 20 years old (at the time) I figured they could stand to be replaced. There was absolutely on change whatsoever that any human could notice in how it drove but sure, it's less rotating mass so how can that not be a good thing?
    Thanks.ok next question i was going to replace the tailseal bushing and seal . any recommendations on a removal tool for the bushing.

The only problem I have ever seen with aluminum driveshafts was on a lowered car they sometimes hit the floor or same goes for a driveshaft loop, you might need to adjust it to get the clearance you need. Not sure if the tailshaft bushing can be changed in the car, the output shaft might be in your way.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

This should work:
    http://www.freedomracing.com/trans-e...FYS4wAod23gCHA

i just made my own tool. There is a oval slot in most of them that can be caught by a straight blade screw driver heated and bent to a 90 degree on the end at the proper length. I put another 90 on the other end then clamped it to an old water pump bolt that I put a washer and an old alternator pulley on it - made a nice little slide hammer.

I later learned there is no inner bushing stop on fox T5 tail sections. You can literally pound the old one into the trans with the new one and let it ride there until you rebuild it.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-14-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFords&FFR's View Post
    The only problem I have ever seen with aluminum driveshafts was on a lowered car they sometimes hit the floor or same goes for a driveshaft loop, you might need to adjust it to get the clearance you need. Not sure if the tailshaft bushing can be changed in the car, the output shaft might be in your way.

Mike
    Good point! Mine hit the emergency brake equalizer. I had to trim just the slightest bit off it to gain clearance. That should be checked while the car is still in the air.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Was thinking about one of these. My only fear is that because they have a larger diameter, it's going to hit my exhaust or floor and drive me nuts.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

For what its worth I have a close friend with a high 7 sec 1/8 mile car. As he was getting into low 8s he switched to aluminum driveshaft. He said his car slowed down. Apparently the spinning weight on a low horse car keeps it moving quicker through the gears but slower on take off. He said with the aluminum shaft he had to launch at higher rpm, car was quicker off the line but slowed down because the inertia weight of the metal spinning shaft was no longer there. It wasnt until he got to around a legitimate 300rwhp that he seen a difference. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk