Close

Default Lock Cylinders: Re-Key?

Can 4-Eye era lock cylinders be re-keyed? I know the late '90s ones came without a key pattern and a bunch of tumblers and you were expected to key it yourself.

The reason I ask is, I'm looking at those lighted door lock cylinders again for illuminated entry. I'd prefer not having to carry 7 keys for one car, but for my doors to match my existing trunk lock. Would it be better to try and re-key them to match, or try and put the lighted chrome part onto my existing door lock cylinders somehow?

Thanks!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I just had a new hatch lock cylinder for the 85 rekeyed so everything was the same.
    If you want lighted locks on the outside look for late 70's T- Bird or Lincoln. My '79 T-Bird has lights around the key hole that light up when you lift up on the door handle.

FEP Super Member

Re keying the locks to match an existing key is usually quite easy at a lock Smith .
    I had my doors re keyed to the Cobra column and Drive train in my 91 Coupe , so I didn't have multiple keys .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 02-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I just had a new hatch lock cylinder for the 85 rekeyed so everything was the same.
    If you want lighted locks on the outside look for late 70's T- Bird or Lincoln. My '79 T-Bird has lights around the key hole that light up when you lift up on the door handle.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm after. For no particular reason other than it's cool. Did a bit of research, and I believe I understand the whole system. I'd just need to also get the door handle switches and then the timer module.

But i suppose you guys are right, I'll bet a locksmith wouldn't charge much to do the job, and it would totally be worth it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

And they would lube the lock with graphite while they are in there and clean out old key shavings. Have them cut new keys on old stock ford blanks while you are at it. Will operate like new again.

It cost me about $25 to have the lock rekeyed.

Wanted to come back to this thread and add how everything turned out. I found some resistance from locksmiths because of possible legal issues with auto theft or something. I rekeyed the cylinders myself. If you keep track of the tumblers, it's actually pretty easy. The tricky part is not wrecking that cover piece and putting it back on correctly so that it stays.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST