Close

Default Hoses on carburetor

Name:  20170211_171357.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  113.6 KB

Standard Motorcraft 4 bbl
    Can anyone tell me what these hose out of the fuel bowls are for? Does not seem to effect operation.

Thanks,
    John

Just the bowl vents.

Evaporative emmissions to take hydrocarbons from the carburettor to the activated charcol cansiter during purge cycle. For cars, 1981 was the big nasty year for Bowl Vent compliance, and Ford made that bad boy to get 4-bbl 5.0/5.8/6.1/7.0 and 7.5 liter trucks to pass the new regs, and then the post 1980's 4V 5.0'S Mustang, Capris.

Ferrari,Fiat and Lancia and Alfa Romeo diteched there carbs before 1982, when everything had to comply. There was a reduced sale rule for Webered Aston Martin or Lamborghinis or DeTomaso's...they had to overseas or out of state import or sell less than 20 a year to pass California 1981 model year standards. TVR in 1980 got taken to court for not compliying. Serious schtuck went down when the US sales importer forced people to sell non complying vehicles...and its not gotten any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIZ4EGknw2Q

Without them, it just doesn't pass even the earlier pre 1979 Federal emissions standard.

Those pipes are probably the second biggest single emissions reduction, as most hydrocarbons come out during refilling. Even a poorly tund car won't belch out as many hydrocarbons as a non preseent Evap system

People who run Edelbrocks and other Holleys are invalidating the overnight emissions test requirments all cars since the early days have had to comply with since 1972, and it got reamped up again in 1981. That's why cars are fuel injected today, after ODBII's two to three level leak test in 1996, it got virtually impossible to make a carb car comply with Evaporative emmissions.

Have a 6 minute look and laugh at the 1996 and after 2004 systems. Detriots got this stuff all checked out...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzfR84T6pBY

Those have a Bowl vent solenoid in line that closes the line off when car is running & open when power is off to allow gas vapors to filter to the charcoal canister. I had to have them on my old 83 Capri for emission purposes & it's my understanding it will run rich if the lines are left open w engine running.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)