Close

Default 17 Inch Rim Upgrade

I have an 85GT and would like to throw some 17inch rims without tearing and modifying the front and rear suspension. Was looking at a KYB kit they have that includes new struts shocks and shorter springs. Just wanna get that road course look without getting crazy. Done with the drag racing scene and just want more street time with the car. Any input would be great. Thanks folks.

245/45/17 tires on 1995 mustang rims fit up front on my car.

I initially ran 5 lug rotors from an 80's ranger 2.0. It fit but it was TIGHT. The wheel weights hit on the strut but the rim didn't.

When turning the tires hit big time. When I went to SN95 spindles and brakes and spent time jacking my fender wells up out of the way and screwing them in it made all the difference. Now they don't hit. I've gotten them to rub at lock while hitting bumps but generally they don't. A 2.25 turn rack or rack limiters would cure this.

So you should be able to lookup the rim offset and adjust accordingly. This should give you something to go on. 85 vs 86 are the same in the K member and A arm and fenders.

i did have to use camber bolts and center my struts in the opening to achieve this. Without those bolts I was coming up 6 degrees short on camber. Was maxed out on negative at +2. Now I run -2 with the strut centered.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-05-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Yes sir E....

Basic offsets for standard narror track Foxes were worked out many years ago. Its an Aero Body, but a nice one...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...39#post1638139

Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    On my 89, 17x8 fronts with 245/45/17, 17x9 rears with 275/40/17. Lowered. No spacers. No rubbing.

Attachment 69705

Quote Originally Posted by slimj
    Yeah Derald they say you need the spacer if it is 85 to 86 . Its a 8mm spacer only for the front.

I should mention that the rims I am running are 17x8 tribar.

My frontend is dropped around 1.5" compared to stock. This is from X2 balljoints and caster/camber plates.

I have an SN95 rearend with 4 cyl LX springs currently. Much better ride and handling with the 4 cyl Spring- less bind. In my opinion the rearend is too wide for 95 tribar rims. I am left wishing for 1/2" narrower on each side. Would be easy to achieve with a 2005+ offset rim in back but I will likely go back to my fox rearend with spacers or do a custom width rear axle. I plan to make my tribars into Cobra R clone rims.

lots of work to do before I worry about those small details.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

For the sake of comparing with other options, the SN95 tri-bar wheels are 17x8" with 5.72" backspacing, which works out to about +31mm offset. All of the 17x8" SN95 wheels (tri-bars, '94-96 Cobra, '98 Cobra, '99 Cobra, 17" Ponys, Bullitt, Mach1) had that same offset/backspacing.