Close

Thread: Surface Rust

Default Surface Rust

Started the process of teardown this weekend. Pulled motor trans and exhaust. Pulled font sheet and there it was. Surface rust along the upper area where the fender mounts and the cowl pan drains. Nothing is through the metal but another couple years of sitting and who knows. Question is this. How do I handle this? I dont believe rattle can rustoleum is going to stop it. How do I stop the rust process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to say it but you may have to start cutting. Do you have a donor car that is clean in those areas? If this thought is too much for you, maybe start grinding on it in hopes that it isn't too deep and the parts can be saved. It's tough to tell by your photos. My '83 was rusted to all hell when I started restoring it but thankfully the cowl area and upper fender rails were fine. Mine was all down low; frame rails and floor pans mostly.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

FEP Senior Member

Take it down to bare metal and assess the metal condition. If it's OK, just coat it and paint over it. If it's too far gone, replace the metal.