Close

Default Dash hull interchange

Are the dash hulls the same from 79-86 or are there differences?
    in particular the radio openings.

You guessed it. The '85-'86 has one large opening where the '79-84 years had the older stem-mount style openings. Obviously an early dash can be converted rather easily if done right whereas the later dash could not.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Ok. Did Saleen use some kind of adapter plate to install the Kenwood KRC radio?
    The Kenwood is a stem type radio and the dash looks cut to fit aaa newer style radio.

FEP Senior Member

there are other minor differences, the glove box door from 83 wont work on an 84

Hmmmm, I need some input on this one....

Planning on swapping out a sand beige (84-86?) dash in to 79 Capri.......
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Screw holes for the dash pad are different

glovebox door and latch is different

radio opening is different. Custom cut ABS trim ring after cutting out the knob mount plastic is the best solution for a single din radio.

Sucks that I even know this stuff but I do from school of hard knocks.

Ill ill share a bit of the story as my kid is also a member and might read it one day. I was one of those kids that mowed lawns all summer starting at age 9 and by 17 had saved up enough money for a down payment on a nice ride. I bought my black 86 5.0L 5-speed GT in 1992 as a senior in high school. Was the baddest little bitch in the parking lot, bar none- a little cam and a 5 minute driveway tuneup later and it completely ruled the streets in my home town back when low 13's was fast.

After graduation a wind and hail storm hit. A huge limb just missed my car but hail knocked out my rear window and trashed the body with very deep dents. Dents that took 4K and an entire summer in a body shop to repair. And that's with the dad still works there discount too. Then I added an extra 1500 to it to get the very best paint work the shop could do.

then off to college.

One passion was Mustangs, my other was IASCA sound competition. As an EE major it just made sense plus - hey - it was cool just like my car. What a mistake! I should have bought a 79 Yugo for that stuff. My 86 was broken into many times back when it was nice. Literally 10's of thousands of dollars worth of stereo equipment and speakers were ripped out of it back in the day. Kenwood tape decks with 10 disc remote CD changers, kicker solobarics, PPI and Phoenix Gold amps, etc. What they got depended on which time but lots and lots of expensive stuff that I couldn't afford and was under insured was taken. Thrives favorite entry method was fold the top of the door frame over and reach in and unlock. That was done to two different doors on my car which ruins them completely - never have found a good door brace design to prevent this BTW.

After the one of the times my car was broken into I glued razor blades to the back edge of the dash by the stereo. They did their job and cut the hell out of the idiot that broke in but they still got all of my stereo and speakers then proceeded to cut my wiring to bits and bash my dash to nothing and slice all the seats with a razor, trash the door panels cutting them up, and bleed everywhere ruining my carpet. They also keyed the hood and down the entire passenger side of my beautifully painted black car. Was very sad - the paint job was 5 coats of base that I had helped "hand rub" wet sand the orange peel out of topped with 5 coats of clear that received the same treatment then was cut and buffed to a mirror finish. We used the very best products available at the time no expense spared. A real baller. The car has never been that nice ever again. But at least I still have it in my garage. My wife slowly learns to tolerate it but certainly will never love it.

It is truly AMAZING how much money Ford pissed away changing plastic interior parts, their molds and designs over such a short period of time in the same generation of vehicle and in spite of themselves they continued to make money!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Ok. Well there is a 82 coupe on CL in Greencastle PA being parted out. Black and white interior with what appears to have a very nice uncut dash.
    I was hoping the 82 would be the same as an 85. I didn't figure they would be.

They are very similar and will work but won't be 100% perfectly correct.

Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Wow! $250 and it's cracked. I'll pass.