Close

Default Aluminum bumpers

What year and what models had Aluminum front bumpers? I boight a rear from a guy but I need a front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Supporter

From everything I have seen or read, it was random with no rhyme or reason from 79-early 81? I've never seen one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

What is the weight difference between a steel and aluminum bumper? Thanks

IIRC 16lbs in the front, 22lbs in the rear. Those numbers are from my research, not from personal experience. I'd love to get a pair for my 86 one of these days, along with a 84GT front sway bar (smaller and a few lbs lighter).
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

That's a pretty big difference in weight. Did 86 4cyl cars have a smaller sway bar?

They did, although too small for what I want. The 84GT's had the same size sway bar as the 93 Cobra's.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Learned something new today.

FEP Senior Member

Like Darran said, there seems to be no criteria for aluminum Mustang/Capri installations. Over the years, I have removed 5 aluminum fronts, and 2 rears for cars at wrecking yards. I have removed them from coupes and hatchbacks, 4 and 6 cylinder cars, all were 79 & 80 model years. Both the rears were removed from cars that also had aluminum fronts, but the other 3 cars that had aluminum fronts, had steel rears.To find these 7 bumpers, I bet that I must have checked over 200 cars. I walked among lots of these cars with a pretty strong magnet, that I used to see if it would stick to the bumper rebar. I installed one of the front into my 85 Mustang HB, but ended up selling both rears as taking weight of the rear of the car was not desired. Also, at least up here, both the aluminum rears had some corrosion issues at the rear mounting flange, likely due to road salt and snow build up accumulating inside the bumper channel.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

I finally have both front and rear. I know the rear I can pick up with 2 fingers vs one hand. The front steel is a 2 hand with a crap this things heavy vs I can hold this myself and put it on. Lol. I will find a scale later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my '79 base 2.3L notch have the front and rear aluminium bumper. My '79 Ghia has steel front and rear. All cars are pretty much all original export models with the TRX package and no A/C.

I'm considering swapping the steel ones with the aluminium bumpers of my parts car on the Ghia, but the car is so original I'm not sure it's a good idea. But having less weight might help speed it up a bit maybe, it's kinda slow.