Close

Thread: 3G Alternator

Default 3G Alternator

I have searched this before and seen many different answers so I thought I would see what my fellow four-eye owners do.

I am curious as to what point you determine it's time for a 3G alternator.

My car is an 85 GT. Let's just say there is just as much bare wire as there is coated wire.

I will be ordering a whole new harness and fuse panel from Ron Francis. I am running a carb and factory A/C but will be using dual electric contour fans and the battery will now be in the trunk. I'm leaving the original style starter in the car.

I would like to convert to all LED tail/turn signals but will build those as one off pieces later. I also plan on finding a way to go to an HID headlight set up but haven't really decided what I want to do there.

My main concern is that with stereo, rear mount battery, MSD ignition, and electric fans the stock alternator wont cut it.

Any thoughts? I would like to know what you guys have found works and doesn't work for your setups.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Electric fans are usually the deciding factor. All the rest you list, are just other good reasons as well. If you are remote mounting the battery, you can also go with a larger battery to give you a little more cushion for the charging system.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I had considered using a bigger battery. I have a feeling as long as the car has been apart, I will most likely need a new one anyway.

Go ahead and upgrade to a 3G. You'll be glad in the long run.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

My stock 2g alt only made about 20 amps at idle. My dual speed Taurus fan pulled 19 amps at start up, settling around 16 ,amps and 26 amps on high. If the fan started from a dead stop on high, it pulled 36 amps.

If the stock 2g was on there for any period of time while ideling, it would start eating alternators.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yeah, I figured I might as well swap it out anyway but I just needed justification before I decided to go that route. I definitely don't want the annoying headlight dim because my electrical system can't handle the load.

I was thinking I would be close to the max capacity of the stock alternator but it sounds like I will be much closer than I feel comfortable with.

Well I guess it's only $$$ right?

Thank you guys for your help. Electrical systems are not my strong suit and this whole car has turned into a full electrical overhaul. I'm just ready for it to be done.

Let us know how it turns out.

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

I will for sure let you guys know. No telling the timeline though. I've been meaning to start a build thread.