Close

Default 1979-1982 Mustang Tail Lights

Hey Guys!

I'm a new member here but I've had my 80 cobra for a few years now. I was wanting to replace my tail lights at some point for some more mint condition ones and I've never had any luck in my brief searches on ebay. Mine are in good shape other than some of the black plastic had chipped off the top side of the driver side (I can't remember the passenger side) Occasionally I'd see one or something. Is there any place to buy them new or is it basically a matter of finding an individual with a solid set? I also used the search function and didn't come across anything that told me much.

Welcome to FEP!

Unfortunately at this time the 79-82 Mustang (and Capri) tail lights are not reproduced.

So that leaves you with a good used set or possibly some NOS lights. I have seen a few really nice original or NOS ones come up, but they usually command a steep price due to their unique and rare nature. Not crazy! OMG $$ but still not cheap.

If you lights are in good shape other than a couple of chips there are ways to repair what you have and make them look almost brand new. I just did the same to a set of 83-86 lights for my Road Racer and I did repaint a set of lights for my 79 PC. Basically some good urethane plastic repair adhesive, a little bit of body filler to fix any chips,etc. a nice sand down with some fine grit paper, a new coat of black as needed, then a final couple of coats of clear and the light are almost brand new!

Here is a link to my thread on the whole deal. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light-Refinish
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-19-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the insight. Yeah I wouldn't mind paying a little bit for something that is mint(within reason). Mine are fine for what they are now, I think I may plan to respray the car winter 2017 and at that point I would be wanting to figure out some nicer tail lights along with a few other small odds and ends.

Great write up though! It could definitely be an option I explore.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Good write up Trey
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

bluemp301 I'm a new member here but I've had my 80 cobra for a few years now. " Tell us about your 80 Cobra, Color, V8 car? Stock or modified, Spill the beans, lol. And Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemp301 View Post
    Hey Guys!

I'm a new member here but I've had my 80 cobra for a few years now. I was wanting to replace my tail lights at some point for some more mint condition ones and I've never had any luck in my brief searches on ebay. Mine are in good shape other than some of the black plastic had chipped off the top side of the driver side (I can't remember the passenger side) Occasionally I'd see one or something. Is there any place to buy them new or is it basically a matter of finding an individual with a solid set? I also used the search function and didn't come across anything that told me much.
    I have a high speed buffer that we polish stainless and plastics with. I've restored a handful of the 79-82 lights.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-16-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Good write up Trey
    Thanks!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller