Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I took the visor off the rod, bent rod a bit. Wrapped electrical tape around rod. Put visor back on rod. Problem fixed.

Took trial and error for correct amount of tape. This was on an '85 t-top.

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post
    I took the visor off the rod, bent rod a bit. Wrapped electrical tape around rod. Put visor back on rod. Problem fixed.

Took trial and error for correct amount of tape. This was on an '85 t-top.
    Now there's an idea! I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I'm thinking it may be too loose on the rod, since it just slides over it. Is there a way to fix that?

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    I think I know what you are describing. The sunvisor slides right over a rod and after time the rod wears smooth and the sunvisor wont stay in the upright position.

I fixed mine by using an electric scrib pencil I got at Harbor Freight Tools for less than 10 bucks. Like this one at Home Depot
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Varia...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used it to scribe ribs into the rod raising the surface and creating grippage.

I tried the slight bend of the rod trick today and it's seems to be working.

Jeremy
    83 T-Top coupe
    89 LX 5.0
    16 PP GT
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Some people will sand the rod and/or add some type of tape, etc. to get the visor to hold better.
    If you're talking about the way the visor pivots up and own on the long thin rod that holds it, I'll tell you how I fixed mine. I found that even with new visors there was still play because the rod was worn from years of wear and tear. I could see the scoring in the metal. Even getting a used one might still be shot or close to it. So i bought an electric engraver from harbor Fright. A cheap one. https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ver-46099.html

I polished the steel rod with sandpaper then I took the engraver and I scored it with lines length and width wise. It raises the metal above the surface and kind of created a spline with the engraver. At first the visor didn't want to go back on easy so I polished the "spline" gently with sandpaper, testing the fit after a few tries I was sure it was right. I smeared a thing coat of never seize on the rod and wiggled the visor back into place.

In the 5 years since I did that I have had zero flop. They stay where I place them and they are probably a little tighter than they were from the factory. but it's a problem solved permanently and I don't need an ugly magnet. There's nothing to lose by trying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12