Close

Default 1986 LX gray vinyl fabric

My LX has the optional vinyl seating with light gray piping and both the driver and passenger seat are split on bottom The seat bottom fabric is different from the bolsters. It resembles a grained leather while the bolsters are smoother. Is there anyone who can recommend a supplier for the exact duplicate fabric?

SMS is most likely your best option for actual OEM materials.

https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

TMI upholstery may have something similar or almost identical, but I have no idea. They are going to be full covers rather than just materials, though.

http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/b...body/1986.html
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm an upholsterer.
    For Fords, I have the best luck with Endurasoft vinyl. The pallette matched every Ford I've tried in color and grain.

And, a pet peeves of mine... It's called "welt". (Not "piping")

Quote Originally Posted by Toid View Post
    My step father was an upholsterer and I'm aware. But it's kind of like "sway-bar"; It's wrong but most people say it so that the rest understand! LOL

without having it in front of me to look at with my sample book it would be difficult to recommend but if you are not in that big of a hurry and your seats are already in bad shape if you sent me a piece of each I could match it up and inform you...
    You can buy this in durasoft vinyl online at several different distributors at a not unreasonable price.
    But bear in mind that it is absolute top grade premium fabric so it is not cheap by comparison

Wait a minute, you mean it's not called a sway bar?

I checked out your profile and saw that you are in Temple Georgia if that is anywhere near Atlanta go to Erikson's fabrics and talk to Robert... The boss...Great guy. He will help you. They are an upholstery supply house

If for some reason they won't sell to you because you don't have an account with them I will call in and order and let you pick it up for me and you will even get it at my cost. If you want to do this PM me and I will give you my cell number

I see in the map, that is off Riverside Pky. or Six Flag Drive? That's on my way home from work. The seats aren't in that bad of shape at all, but, there's no repairing a split without replacing the insert in the seat bottom. So, I might as well cut out a panel for comparison. BTW, here is the car:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5958703786.html

There's only one shot of the interior.

Toid, would you be able to do the repair?
    Last edited by rose62; 02-08-2017 at 01:34 PM.

I once recovered a live opossum while he slept... Didn't even wake em up.
    I would be happy to, I'm a full time guy at a paint & body supply distributor, and a minister in my church (not pastoring right now)... So I tell my customers that I need a little more time. Used to be full time with a storefront, but just do my upholstery from home now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toid View Post
    I thought it was piping for the upholstery and welting was what went between the fenders and bodies on the older cars. ��

Dunno about weltING, but we buy, and sew on (sometimes staple) welt.
    Piping is what is done with icing on a cake.
    (He says with pompous smarm)