Close

Default Brand New Water Pump seized on 5.0 CFI

My 84 Thunderbird was dripping coolant so I replaced the radiator hoses, was still dripping so I replaced the water pump. I fixed the Drip but now the Power steering belt was slowing down and power steering came and went. Drove it to the shop to diagnose that issue and as I pulled in the belt was smoking and I could see it melting and bubbling on the water pump pulley. Shop tells me I have a seized water pump and I've got a 600 dollar repair ahead of me if I can't figure out what went wrong. Shop also said it could possibly be the wrong pump though I don't know how it would bolt up if it wasn't designed for a 5.0. Any help or advice appreciated.

FEP Power Member

The newer 5.0 with the serptine belt runs a reverse rotation water pump as compared to the v belt 5.0. Bearing wise it should spin eithe way. Water flow wise, big problem..
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Any idea when ford switched to a serpentine belt? I've heard different years, but I'm fearing I was given the wrong pump. I never let the thing warm up for fear of overheating, but is there a way to tell the direction of flow on the pump? I'd rather have that be the problem than anything else.

Looking at Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ater+pump,2208 http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ater+pump,2208
    The 84 TBird has a different part number then an 87 Mustang with a 5.0 and the reverse type Water Pump, so the 84 TB must be the old style Water Pump.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

If the pulley is smooth its reverse rotation, if the pulley is ribed then its standard rotation. A water pump should never lock up. I bought a cheapie $17 waterpump and had the flange the pulley bolts to come off, with the fan, at freeway speeds and took out my radiator and fan shroud.

The pumps themselves are the same. The fan blades are flat, so it does not matter which way it spins (people will argue this) the difference is in the timing cbain cover.

Smooth flat pulley is reverse rotation, ribbed pulley is standard rotation. Throw a new water pump on. Takes an hour with basic hand tools. I had a $17 water pump come apart on me. The flange the pulley attaches to came off the shaft and took out my radiator and fan shroud.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Car will be flat towed home tomorrow where I can pull it apart. What should I be looking for when I get the pump off?

Look for any witness marks from metal on metal contact. See if you can even turn the shaft. A water pump has no bearings, just bushings inside. It should spin with moderate effort by hand, but will now feel loose or have a bunch of play in it.

When I returned my waterpump, the orileys manager told me to not even bother with another master pro brand pump, and actually told me to go to autozone since thats all they had I stock when I returned mine. The waterpump probably only lasted a couple hundred miles, and I do that several times a week.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Power Member

I would pass on the Motorcraft water pump as they are made in China. I just installed one in my 92. I think the Ford Racing one is still made in USA and about $59.

Update: nope made in China too.
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-11-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Three items i use for long wp life:
    Distilled water
    Fresh green coolant the kind with silicates listed as additive
    WP lube with anti rust- add some to older coolant say once a year, 15k

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I would pass on the Motorcraft water pump as they are made in China. I just installed one in my 92. I think the Ford Racing one is still made in USA and about $59.
    I just bought the FMS-M-8501-C50 water pump from Summit Racing a few months ago for my new engine. It too is made in China. Keep an eye on the pulley alignment, I had to shim out my water pump pulley. I'm not sure what the deal is, I had to do the same with my Prestone branded pump I had on my old engine. I thought this problem had something possibly to do with my old engine, but the new engine is a different block and it has a different timing cover and balancer on it. It's as if the water pump flange is too far back.

Sadly, I think the Chinese pump in a Ford Racing or Ford Performance or whatever they call themselves this week is your best bet.

Cale

Update: turns out the water pump pulley was hitting on the pump as It rotated so after some filing of the pump I got it fixed. Fast forward to today when I parked my car on the street slightly downhill and noticed a nice sized puddle of coolant coming from the crank pulley. Brand new heater and radiator hoses. It's a Murray water pump