Close

Default Fitech EFI system

Was wondering if anyone has used the fitech efi kits for there foxbody as I just picked up a 85 4 eye I'm fixing up . And thinking about going this route instead of carb as i plan on street driving and running some at the track thanks

I have the 'go street' kit. Won't be installing until it warms up around here though.

I have a GoStreet kit on my F-100. I like it. It's an investment as it's tough to beat a well tuned Holley. I cruise and tow with my truck. Tuning the carb to work with the constantly changing fuel formulations, seasonal weather and heavy towing loads was a PITA with the carb. If I had a car, I'd just put a custom Pro Systems carb on it. Will save you about $600-$700 over the price of the cheapest kit and fuel command center. Might even make more power too.

The main issues I see if from people trying to save a few dollars from the EFI swap is by trying to engineer their own fuel system. They run into a myriad of tuning and nickle+dime issues that is easy to avoid if you just buy the fuel commander kit.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Member

Thinking about the FiTech kit on mine too. I've heard nothing but positive reviews but have yet to see one in person. I'm not sure which yet as I haven't decided to go big cube N/A or twin turbo 408. Good to hear another positive review from Zap.

I have 3, only 1 running at the moment. 2 power adder 600's and a 400 hp.

So far so good other than the piece of junk command center. Great idea, but not the best design.

Designing a fuel system to work with a Fitech setup is not hard.

Here's my command center in action
    https://youtu.be/7CN6IQ6L__Q

Called Fitech and they asked for a video of my issue and said would call back. They haven't called.

If the Fitech proves to be reliable, I would prefer it over a carb.
    Last edited by slomont; 02-07-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

I was planning to go with there big power adder kit as I'm running nitrous and plan on going turbo down the road. I already have the higher end aermotive pump etc . I wasn't so sure on there fuel system. I did talk to them and they said the kits will make more power but you need the right fuel Supply system. But i have been wanting to see one up close and I haven't. The only real complain I see regular is there Tech support. But they did return my call to answer the question I had..

Any reason you're considering the Fitech over the Holley Sniper ? I've been looking lately and thought I would go with the holley unit, so just wondering.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I bought Fitech's inline frame mount fuel pump and their filters. I ran my own 3/8" fuel lines and had my fuel tank modified with a 1/2" pick up tube and 3/8" return. I'm planning the pump wiring with some safety features, i.e.; inertia switch, oil pressure switch, fuel pump relay.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Any reason you're considering the Fitech over the Holley Sniper ? I've been looking lately and thought I would go with the holley unit, so just wondering.
    No Holley when I bought mine or I would have looked into it.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

Quote Originally Posted by slomont View Post
    Here's my command center in action
    https://youtu.be/7CN6IQ6L__Q
    Mine does the same thing. Not an issue if the vent line is routed to the tank. Lots of rubber line is also not recommended to to fuel permeation and odor. I ran some small metal brake line as my vent line to the fuel filler neck. My old truck had no factory vent that I could tap into. It was the only non standard thing I ran into during the install. From turn key-to turn key it took me seven hours. Much of that was making wiring look tidy and mounting the FCC and vent line.

They also recommend turning down the command center pulse width as it doesn't need to run that hard at idle. http://fitechefi.com/fitech-uploads/...thpictures.pdf. I've had this system on my truck now for almost a year with no issues.
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 02-07-2017 at 07:26 PM.

No Holley when I bought mine or I would have looked into it.
    The Holley Sniper system. Ugh. Everybody should boycott that thing. Holley tried to buy out FiTech about two years ago. FiTech said no as they had big release plans and an expanding product line coming to market. Holley did the only big business thing they could do and copy the Fitech Model (see how similar they are in execution and price point!) and see if Fitech would try and sue for copyright and patent infringement. Big business trying to squash the little guy because they wouldn't sell out. Trying to run them out of business from lawyer fees and litigation. Makes me sick.

It is not a return and is a vent so there should not be any liquid fuel going through it. Spewing fuel is not normal. It's shutting off fuel pressure and goes extremely lean at wot over 5k rpms. This is the same thing that happened to a guy on the chevelle forum, they refunded his money. I did lower the pulse width at idle.

What is your power level?

I'm pulling the command center this weekend and installing a intank pump setup (ltd wagon tank in a fairmont wagon) with a walbro 255 high pressure. My other wagon is supercharged and have a tank I sumped that is going in with a Bosch 044.

This is the second part of the chevelle guys command center post. He's actually a mustang guy also.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...te-fitech.html
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

That is terrible about the whole Holley thing
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

A friend of mine just installed this system with the FCC on his '66 Toronado and loves it. Runs great. As far as the FCC, he hasn't run the vent line yet and it currently vents to atmosphere and hasn't seen any fuel come out of it.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    I believe the sniper doesn't handle big horsepower and also doesn't have as many extras like the fitech. You can use laptop and record data has nos features built in also has blow through application. The holy version that dose all this is close to 3k vs 1,600. So either it works and you are just paying for the holly name or the fitech isn't what they say it is. But everyone seems to like like it is what I'm finding out.. probably why holy wanted to buy hem out because dose he same as there 3k system for half the price

It is not a return and is a vent so there should not be any liquid fuel going through it. Spewing fuel is not normal. It's shutting off fuel pressure and goes extremely lean at wot over 5k rpms. This is the same thing that happened to a guy on the chevelle forum, they refunded his money. I did lower the pulse width at idle.

What is your power level?
    325ish Hp and likely 350ish tq. Pretty much right within the design parameters of the GoStreet system. It will still turn the tires in 1st when pulling a 5000lb trailer. I probably have 4000 miles on it.

My FCC has spit some fuel out of the vent from the first turn of the key so I don't believe the overheating issue that the Chevelle owner is complaining about. The vent is there for a reason. The instructions say to run it to the fuel tank. People believing they can simply vent it to the free air are wrong. It's a fire hazard plain and simple. If you run a line to the fuel tank, problem solved. End of argument. So what if it spits some fuel. You can't think the fuel level inside the FCC is just going to play nice and sit flat as a glass of water. There is a lot going on in there.

There comes a point where a company will buy a product back off a customer so their problem with them will just go away. The FCC is a simplified fuel system and in all respects not a performance piece. A true EFI fuel system is one that mimics a factory return style system. Ford tried the Deadheading(no return) EFI systems in the late 90's to mid 2000's. It was overcomplicated with sensors and controllers and they eventually returned to the return style system. The FCC does it mechanically and its internal regulator just recycles the fuel at idle so vigorously that it splashes around inside and invariably some spits out the vent tube.

If you are having performance issues (going lean), have you verified fuel pressure at WOT? In my opinion $100-$200 worth of dyno time may be money better spent vs redoing the fuel system on a guess. That way you'll know for sure, and you can maybe try a few things to eek some more power out while you are there.

Mine is doing the same Thing his did and mine is installed correctly. Yours works correctly, mine does not. I cannot recommend it to anyone. if you are looking for another, you can buy my pos.

We are about to install a 600 on a 73 Mach 1 with trickflow Cleveland heads. He also ordered a command center. We will see how it works, I recommended returning, but it's his money.

If I have time this week I will install my intank pump setup and hopefully be done.

So far I'm happy with the unit itself, hopefully it proves reliable.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    10.67@128.38

I attended the Roadkill Zip Tie Drags in Tucson, Az... where guys from FiTech ( a sponsor for the event ) installed a unit in an afternoon on the Roadkill Vette Kart. They ran an inline pump because it was an easy solution. At that price point, I'm considering it for all my carbed cars. If I was to put in my 86, I might just install a later model tank with the in tank pump arrangement, and do the return fuel system.
    Have
    86 Coupe LX Conversion 5.0 5spd
    70 Mustang Conv. My 1st car. Still have it.
    70 Ranchero 302 Auto
    07 Focus daily driver

Totaled
    70 Ranchero 351C Auto
    85 Coupe 1 of 62 Sand Beige

I have had 2 different system on my 349. first was the power adder 600 and now I have the power adder 1200 on it. Both have ran great and on the 1200 I am running e85 on it. I would go that route every day. Starts easy and cruises even better.
    84 Mustang GT (needs restored)
    1986 True Blue Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Wikd331 View Post
    I have had 2 different system on my 349. first was the power adder 600 and now I have the power adder 1200 on it. Both have ran great and on the 1200 I am running e85 on it. I would go that route every day. Starts easy and cruises even better.

That's the kit I'm looking to get are you running the fuel command center or a intank,or external pump and if you are Wich one .... thanks

I've got an older Holley Commander 950 TBI System. I have a Holley HP ecu to upgrade it, but here's my thoughts on the fuel system. If you have a Fox platform that a factory tank with an in tank fuel pump for efi was available it is really easy.

My 85 had a factory return line. I went on ebay to MPS salvage and ordered a fuel tank...it came from a 97 Mustang I believe. I cut the barbs off the rear ends of the factory carbed fuel line. I also got the factory fuel lines from the tank and a factory fuel filter and hanger. I used the factory style nylon lines and found a union adapter that adapts the nylon to the steel lines...its a type of compression union. I bought some replacement factory style release fittings and installed into the nylon line.

I used the factory line from the tank to the filter, from the filter to the hard line on the feed side I used replacement nylon with a compression union to the hard line. On the return side there's a compression union from the hard line to the nylon and then a factory fitting at the tank.

It sounds complicated but it really wasn't. And it was pretty cheap too...a lot cheaper than factory efi hardlines or braided SS or even aftermarket hard lines.

At the front, I hated to do it, but I cut the hard lines in the fender liner area and used efi rated hose and efi hose clamps and ran to the holley tbi. Eventually I plan on hard line to AN adapters and Braided SS.

One trick about the nylon line and getting fittings in it. The instructions say dip the nylon in boiling water and push the fitting in. I never could get it more than a 1/3 or 1/2 way in. But I figured out an easier way. Get a caulk gun and a double flare kit. Take the part of the flare kit that clamps the line. Clamp the nylon just below the depth of the fitting. Put the line and clamp in the caulk gun and use it to 'press' the fitting in. I did it completely dry and it puts the fitting in in about 10 seconds and I never had any leaks.

I used to have a picture of how I rigged it, but if you google you'll see there's a tool just like this for professional shops to use to press fittings into nylon fuel lines....it's a couple hundred bucks. Since I had the caulk gun and flare tool, mine was free.

And evidently now there is a repop fuel gauge sender for pre 86 cars. There is a tech article on here of how to take a later efi sender and replace the resistance circuit board. That's how I made the efi tank read right in my 85.
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 02-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by RRodriguez View Post
    That's the kit I'm looking to get are you running the fuel command center or a intank,or external pump and if you are Wich one .... thanks
    I ran an in tank aeromotive 340 for e85 pump.
    84 Mustang GT (needs restored)
    1986 True Blue Vert

Does the dual snorkel clear the Fitech?
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears