Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
    Here is the 1985 Ford LTD Buck Tag
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Thanks. I'll decode what I can, if you'd like.

I'll do it in another thread so as not to muck this awesome thread up too much with geeky decoder stuff.
    Yes, I would like you to post the results of the buck tag. On another post will work fine, Thanks!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...G138917-decode
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I found the thread where I was wrestling with that.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...uge-amp-Sender

Looks like if you have your original sending unit, you can swap the resistance strip for a different one that will give the correct ohms for the '87-93 gauge. But as far as what I did, apparently, i wasn't as conscientious about posting the result of the problem for posterity as I am now.

It's been a long time, so I'm not 100% sure what this mess is, but I THINK I took a Mustang sending unit, made a bracket to mount it to so the arm faces the right way, and then i ended up having to bend a new arm out of fence wire anyway because the float was then facing the wrong way.

Ugly, but it does the job...

You may not have to deal with any of that in a sedan tank though. You might be able to just slap a Mustang sending unit on and be done.
    Thanks for the info on the Sending unit, I will live with the way it is right now and see how far off the gauge actually is once I fill the tank a few times.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Thanks for the info on the Sending unit, I will live with the way it is right now and see how far off the gauge actually is once I fill the tank a few times.
    I don't blame you. And if it comes down to it, you could probably do more research than i did and come up with a sending unit that would be easier to graft on if need be.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=fuel+gauge

I did the same thing with the chip, but I didn't have to make a bracket or anything. I think I got a sender for an efi topaz or something and put that chip in the 87-93 sender in the tank I got when I switched to efi. There used to be a writeup or sticky that detailed exactly how to do it, but I can't find it with the search feature tonight.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Once the Mustang Dash was in place the rest of the Interior went together fairly easy. The average person would think the car came this way from Ford other then the Hurst Shifter.

Here is the Before look of the Interior:

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The Original headliner was completely worn out and was actually held together with staples and duct tape. The Card Board Backing was in good condition, so I was able to reuse it and then recover it.

I found this on Amazon and actually worked very well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I would recommend the 3M Headliner and Fabric Adhesive https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I reused the original rear seat which was in good condition, but is a little Sun Faded. The Door Panels were in ok condition, but needed some cleaning and paint. The front seats are Mustang Seats, but the future plans are to recover a set of 85 Mustang Seats with the blue center inserts to match the original design. The grey color used was SEM Presidio 15163, black color was SEM Satin Black 15243.

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I am now working on the Window Weatherstrip. Since this stuff doesn't appear to be available for the LTD, I am using a set made for the 87-93 Mustang. It will need some cutting to fit along with some adhesive. I will post some pics when completed.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Looking great! One of the LTD guys here would probably love to get their hands on that original console and instrument cluster with tach! Did you have any problems with the parking brake pedal bracket interfering with the Mustang dash? I did. After having pulled the dash several times i for various reasons, i ended up breaking the release lever off.

I did the same thing with my headliner, although I got mine at JoAnn. Great minds think alike!

Did you know that the GT seats were actually the same from '85-89? So you could redo the seats you have and then grab some halo headrests and be done!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Looking great! One of the LTD guys here would probably love to get their hands on that original console and instrument cluster with tach! Did you have any problems with the parking brake pedal bracket interfering with the Mustang dash? I did. After having pulled the dash several times i for various reasons, i ended up breaking the release lever off.

I did the same thing with my headliner, although I got mine at JoAnn. Great minds think alike!

Did you know that the GT seats were actually the same from '85-89? So you could redo the seats you have and then grab some halo headrests and be done!
    I didn't have any problem with the brake handle, since I was using an 89 Dash, its less bulky since it didn't come with an AirBag, and had enough clearance to not interfere with the brake handle. I may sell the interior items, but they can also be refurbished and installed back into the LTD, since I didn't cut or change anything that would prevent it from being returned back to stock.
    The Seats I'm now using in the LTD are some low mileage original Mustang Seats I have had for something like 20 years, I just never got around to using them. So I will most likely use them in another project and get the 85GT sets I have redone.
    I was surprised just how easy the headliner was to do, I had watched a couple of you tube videos, which helped a lot with the install. I think I had more of an issue just getting the headliner back into the car without bending or damaging it, then installing the liner, lol.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

FEP Senior Member

Nice build. A little off topic, but i noticed a lightning in the background of one of the pics you posted.
    Do you have any other pics of the lightning and maybe a mod list?
    Last edited by rab; 02-26-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Any updates for this build?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That is a very nice build. Keep up the good work
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

What beautiful set up!!
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123