Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fastlane's LTD LX Build

I have already posted some of the project in the LTD Section, but since this is a project, I thought this would be the best place
    this project.
    I picked up the LTD LX back in June of 2016. I have only ever seen (2) LTD LX's before and this is the second one. I am the 3rd
    owner of this LTD LX, and its been in AZ the whole time so it has no rust and still has the original paint.
    The car has just about 104k miles, but the engine needed to be rebuilt, it was using oil. Brakes were leaking, along with the
    transmission. None of this mattered since the plan is to replace all of that. I was in the process of converting an 89, 4 cly Mustang Coupe I picked up cheap, and did a trade for a totaled 89 5.0 Mustang convertible that had a great running engine with a 5 speed. I had already installed the 5.0 Engine into the 89 Coupe and it was running fine, but I still had to do the interior and body and paint and was really not looking forward to that work.
    Once I found the LTD LX, I stopped the work on the 4cly mustang and transferred the parts to the LTD LX.
    I originally planned on just transferring the stock 5.0 engine and transmission from the mustang to the LTD, but over the years I
    accumulated lots Cobra Mustang parts, so I decided to build the LTD LX using both 89 Mustang and Mustang Cobra Parts.
    Along with updating the Engine and suspension using Cobra Mustang Parts, will be the Interior, I will be updating the interior
    using an 89 Mustang Dash and wire harness. I would have liked using the original LTD LX Dash, but unfortunately the dash is sun
    damaged and it would be very hard to find a good replacement. Unless you have lots of cash to build a project, you use what you
    have available, and I had (3) 89 Mustang dashes, so it was an easy solution.

Last edited by Fastlane; 02-07-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The Engine Removed, cleaned up the engine bay, then painted.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Cobra Brake Booster Installed, along with the engine wire harness.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Cobra Brakes Installed:
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Looks like my garage 11 years ago about this time of year.

And with similar plans. Although i never painted my engine bay. Looks great!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

With the 89 Mustang Engine Wire Harness installed, and Cobra Brakes, next came the 89 Mustang Dash. I mocked up the Dash install by first installing the metal shell, lining it up, then taking the plastic part and lining up the wholes to get the dash installed correctly. As you can see the Steering Wheel hole in the firewall lines up correctly.

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The 89 Mustang Dashed fit fairly well, once the center hole of the dash lined up. I did have to drill a couple new holes for the 89 Mustang dash, and bend the tabs down that held the LTD Dash in place. Since I had to remove the dash several times to get everything lined up, I didn't just want to drill holes in the firewall and that held the dash in place and end up striping out the holes, so I used this device to create https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 rivet sockets. This worked very well for holding the dash in place, and it can be removed several times without worrying about stripping out the holes.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Thanks, lol yeah it does look very much the same! After painting several Engine Compartments, I find it does give it a little more pop to the overall look of the engine. Its does take some extra work, but since I was removing all of the wire harness, it just made sense to paint it.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

FEP Supporter

The front end work looks great! Effort pays off! While I'm not a fan of the later dash swaps, I understand you have to use what you can, when you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I also updated the steering system, using a Rack and Pinion from a 97 Mustang Cobra, Hybrid Steering shaft from MM, SN 95 control arms, inner and outer SN 95 tie rod ends, SN 95 ball joints, MM Steering Rack Bushings.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

That looks like a cool project. Sorry for the ignorance but I read where you said you have only seen 2 LTD LXs. What is an LX and what makes it so rare? Were they actually made in limited numbers or are they just all used up by now?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    The front end work looks great! Effort pays off! While I'm not a fan of the later dash swaps, I understand you have to use what you can, when you can.
    Thanks! Yeah I would have preferred using something like an 85 Mustang Dash or even another LTD Dash, but I didn't have either and well I do like the later Aero Dash. I was also able to locate an actual Ford 140 speedo, which is some what rare, since the 140 speedo was only used part way though 89. The Ford Racing 140 speedo seems to be more common on the Non Airbag Dash.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    That looks like a cool project. Sorry for the ignorance but I read where you said you have only seen 2 LTD LXs. What is an LX and what makes it so rare? Were they actually made in limited numbers or are they just all used up by now?
    Thanks! Ford only made a few thousand LTD LX models 84-85. What makes the LTD LX different from the regular LTD was it came with a 5.0 HO motor from the mustang, little chrome, a lot of the trim is blacked out. The interior was also different on the LTD LX. Although I have seen many LTD LX models online, the only other LTD LX I have seen in person was many years ago and have wanted one ever since.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The Engine was removed from the 89 Mustang, and GT 40 heads and Cobra intake was added. The Cobra Intake was Extruded honed, it was one of those things I had sitting around for several years. I bought it on Craigslist for $300.00, and always wanted to used it. I believe the price to get the Extrude hone done is some where around $300.00 for both upper and lower, so I thought it was a good deal. I had the intake powder coated so it has a very durable finish. You can also see the intake gasket matches nicely.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Since the upper intake was Extruded honed, I decided to port match the GT 40 Heads.

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

When was the last time you seen Ford Motorsport? I had these headers sitting around for years, they look a bit crusty, but I don't think it takes away from the over all look.
    Last edited by Fastlane; 02-05-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

testing the fuel pump, using a Mustang Fuel pump, with the LTD LX housing. Seems to work fine, once you rewire and modify it. There is a complete write up on this in the forums.

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The Classic Tube Stainless Steel Brake lines (from LMR and other sites) for the 87-89 Mustang work fine, didn't have to add any additional brake line, only needed to bend it a little different so it would fit correctly. The Fuel injection line was a different story, I was able to use the Mustang Fuel line from the engine to where it connects just under the car, from there it had to be lengthen using a bender/cutter tool, similar to brake line tool.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Ford produced them from the middle of the 1984 model year through the end of the 1985 model year. They came from the factory with the H.O. 5.0L engine (CFI) and AOD transmission, sport suspension with high rate springs, larger front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, 10" rear drum brakes, 3.08:1 w/ Traction-Lok, tu-tone Sport seats, tachometer, console, blacked-out exterior and interior trim, and an LX badge on the trunk. According to Marti Auto Works there were 3367 made in 1985. I haven't seen a number for 1984 year.

Even more rare is the Mercury version, the Marquis LTS. Only 134 were made in 1985, supposedly the only year they were made and supposedly only for Canada.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I spy a buck tag. Did you save it? Can you post it?

Name:  Engine_removed_zps2knnuyv0.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  326.7 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Great work. Looks like it should be a fun ride.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Ford produced them from the middle of the 1984 model year through the end of the 1985 model year. They came from the factory with the H.O. 5.0L engine (CFI) and AOD transmission, sport suspension with high rate springs, larger front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, 10" rear drum brakes, 3.08:1 w/ Traction-Lok, tu-tone Sport seats, tachometer, console, blacked-out exterior and interior trim, and an LX badge on the trunk. According to Marti Auto Works there were 3367 made in 1985. I haven't seen a number for 1984 year.

Even more rare is the Mercury version, the Marquis LTS. Only 134 were made in 1985, supposedly the only year they were made and supposedly only for Canada.
    so did the '85 version get a roller cam and the heat-riser tubular headers too? I am assuming (yeah, I know) that the '85 CFI Mustangs had those items.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I don't believe I've ever seen an LTD LX in real life. Not recently anyway. I didn't even know about them (let alone Fairmont/Zephyr ESs) until after I'd bought my Zephyr and found LTDScott's car on Cardomain (RIP).

Fastlane, I see you're skipping most of the poor-kid-who-doesn't-know-what-he's-doing, intermediate steps i took on your car and going straight for the good stuff! Good choice!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

so did the '85 version get a roller cam and the heat-riser tubular headers too? I am assuming (yeah, I know) that the '85 CFI Mustangs had those items.
    no roller cam, the CFI engine never did get that
    no headers, that was only for the Capri/Mustang
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast