Close

Default how do I de-pressurize the power steering?

I want to leave my power steering pump on the engine, but cant run power steering on my project. However, I dont want to just run the pump dry. Can I take this spring and plunger out, and the pump wont build pressure? I would like to loop the output fitting back into the return port, and put fluid in just to keep the pump lubricated. but need to make it so the pump doesnt build pressure.

Thanks.

Why? Why don't you just run a short belt and eliminate the pump altogether.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

Oh crap. I just noticed that this was 2.3 specific so it won't apply.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

id love to do that, but i need the P/S pulley for the serpentine belt. if i remove it, the tensioner is in the way of using a shorter belt

Did they not make any 2.3 Fox cars without power steering? Mustang II maybe? Ranger? I can't imagine power steering was standard on all applications all the way from 1974 but maybe it was. Wouldn't have to be a turbo, just a 2.3. They had to route the belt somehow. That doesn't answer your question but it would solve your problem.

Any way to adapt a 5.0 power steering eliminator kit to a 2.3? I know March makes one.

How about a Focus power steering pump eliminator, LOL? Doesn't look hard to adapt.

http://www.bostig.com/power-steering-delete-pulley/
    Last edited by homer302; 02-04-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Is this your standard belt routing?

Name:  2.3 Serpentine.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  27.9 KB

I have to ask as I don't currently have a 2.3 with a Serpentine belt to verify. If so why can't you just bypass the PS with a much shorter belt and go directly from the Alternator down to the crank pulley? I assume the tensioner swings so as long as you can install a shorter belt and not have the tensioner hit the belt coming down off the alternator it should work unless I am just missing it entirely.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Any way to adapt a 5.0 power steering eliminator kit to a 2.3? I know March makes one.

How about a Focus power steering pump eliminator, LOL? Doesn't look hard to adapt.

http://www.bostig.com/power-steering-delete-pulley/
    I believe the V8 power steering eliminators are completely different than the 2.3, i have come across some of those kits online. and I actually have a spare alternator pulley from another car that i'm sure I could make work for a delete, but I just wanted to see if taking out that plunger would take away the pressure. then i wouldn't have to fabricate anything and waste that time and energy haha. next option is to do just that though, make some kind of custom pulley replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Is this your standard belt routing?

Name:  2.3 Serpentine.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  27.9 KB

I have to ask as I don't currently have a 2.3 with a Serpentine belt to verify. If so why can't you just bypass the PS with a much shorter belt and go directly from the Alternator down to the crank pulley? I assume the tensioner swings so as long as you can install a shorter belt and not have the tensioner hit the belt coming down off the alternator it should work unless I am just missing it entirely.
    yes that is my current belt routing. and you would think the belt would miss the tensioner, but looking at it in my garage, i am like 90% sure it would hit. however I haven't actually tried it with a smaller belt yet. mainly i just don't want to play a guessing game with the belt size, going back and forth to the store a hundred times trying to find a size that will work.

unless anyone knows of a length belt that will work for power steering delete on that setup??

Plenty of others have tried to bypass ps by rerouting fluid. Mixed results so the searchs say.

Quick check on Rock Auto site shows manual steering listing in 1984 Mustang.
    85 no.
    Last year of v-belt 2.3 86?
    Switch to serpentine belt/tensioners on 2.3 was 87?
    Assuming by then ps was standard in Mustang.
    Likely ps and serpentine/tensioners went together.
    Likely manual steering and v-belt went together.

Manual steering and serpent may have happened in 2.3 Rangers.
    However, the alt is on the pass side. Different routing.

Try placing a straight edge against the alt pulley to the crank pulley to visualize if a belt would clear.
    Measuring for a diff belt is not that hard with something like a sewing tape measure or string.
    Even then, getting the exact length that works would be luck on the first try.

On a v-belt app, changing to a different alt adj bracket for more adjustment is fairly easy.
    Not so with fixed cast brackets of serp apps.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-07-2017 at 12:06 PM.

This is my current setup, so unfortunately I cant just take out the power steering altogether.

Thinking about removing the pump and using a universal idler pulley and making something that will work in place of the pump. we'll see

How much swing is in that tensioner? Also, the idler pulley looks huge. I'll bet with a smaller diameter idler and the right size belt, you could make it work without a dummy PS pump.

I don't think I've seen it asked, but why not run power steering? Is there something broken? Running a manual rack? Just out of curiosity.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    How much swing is in that tensioner? Also, the idler pulley looks huge. I'll bet with a smaller diameter idler and the right size belt, you could make it work without a dummy PS pump.
    Yep, I'd say based on that shot you should easily be able to bypass it with a shorter belt.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

there isnt much more swing in the tensioner, its already almost maxed out on tension. it can really only release any tension from there, and swing more into the way of the belt.

I'm not running power steering because this engine is currently hanging off the back of a VW sand rail :P so no power steering needed, nor do I have the rack for it anyways.

and I was browsing online yesterday and found you can get Dayco pulleys for pretty cheap. so made up my mind, just going to remove the PS pump altogether and make a custom idler pulley to put in its place. this way I dont have to worry about belt hitting itself, and I can use the same belt without having to buy another brand new one. Found a good deal on a nice new steel pulley for $15 on ebay!

Two more better options:

Pinto mounted the alternator low on the DS. Use the mechanical tension method and serpentine belt. That's what is on my Capri.

Rangers mounted the alternator of the passenger side with a dedicated bracket and tensioner. I couldn't use that set up because my wastegate dump is there.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by yitzac1990 View Post
    there isnt much more swing in the tensioner, its already almost maxed out on tension. it can really only release any tension from there, and swing more into the way of the belt.

I'm not running power steering because this engine is currently hanging off the back of a VW sand rail :P so no power steering needed, nor do I have the rack for it anyways.

and I was browsing online yesterday and found you can get Dayco pulleys for pretty cheap. so made up my mind, just going to remove the PS pump altogether and make a custom idler pulley to put in its place. this way I dont have to worry about belt hitting itself, and I can use the same belt without having to buy another brand new one. Found a good deal on a nice new steel pulley for $15 on ebay!
    Makes perfectly good sense! Sounds like a fun project.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

well i would like to leave everything in place on the engine as much as possible, just so i dont have to worry about modify this, custom that, fabricate those....there are already some things I am having to come up with custom, like the VAM positioning, intake tract, exhaust tract, stuff like that. and buying a new alternator and bracket and all that, means more money spent. I also am going with a Ron Francis wiring harness, so want to keep everything in place so the harness reaches everything correctly.

and yeah it is a real fun project so far. cant wait until it is running. Hopefully with one more paycheck I can get all the rest of my parts!!

big thanks to everyone for the help!

update: finished the custom idler pulley. Sorry I didn't take more pis, I was in a rush working on other things as well, but I did snap this pic. it came out really well I think!

Can take more pics if anyone is interested. I was able to use the same belt that I had on there, so saved money on that.

WOW! That came out nice. I would actually like to see a closeup picture. Is the 2.3 a popular buggy engine? I know nothing about them (buggys) . Seems like you might be able to market that item if so. It looks terrific.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

ill get a pic when I get home, but i just left town for work for 2 weeks, so dont hold your breath lol

The only thing I dont like about it, is the pulley I got is 8-rib instead of 6-rib. but its metal instead of plastic, so its way more durable, and it had 2 bearings built into it, so should last quite a while.

not sure how common the ford motor is on buggies, but there are companies that make trans adapter plates and custom flywheels for all sorts of motors. i know there are no ford turbo buggies around where I live, and i haven't seen many to begin with anyways. im pretty sure if people put anything besides a VW bug motor on them, its super built up with a v8 and race transaxle.