Close

Default CFI wiring harness interchangeability

I have an '84 LTD LX that was originally a 5.0 CFI. The car was converted to a carburetor long ago and the wiring harness was absolutely butchered. I'd like to find an EEC-IV CFI harness to put in this car but have had no luck finding one. Would the harness from an '84-85 Mustang or T-Bird be the same? How different are the V-6 CFI harnesses from the V-8 CFI harnesses?

Is there a reason you want to retain a CFI harness if the car is carbed? I would think that that one would have to be extensively modified also.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Is there a reason you want to retain a CFI harness if the car is carbed? I would think that that one would have to be extensively modified also.
    I'm building a programmable ignition/emissions controller that will use most of the sensors and actuators. Rather than start from scratch and have to track down every individual pigtail and string it all together, I plan to build the controller inside a gutted EEC-IV box so it will be pretty much plug and play and look stock when it's all done. Also, the harness that's in the car now is a complete mess; Scotch locks, wire nuts, and even wires twisted together and left bare. If I could replace the whole thing in one fell swoop then it would save a lot of time and aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    I'm building a programmable ignition/emissions controller that will use most of the sensors and actuators. Rather than start from scratch and have to track down every individual pigtail and string it all together, I plan to build the controller inside a gutted EEC-IV box so it will be pretty much plug and play and look stock when it's all done. Also, the harness that's in the car now is a complete mess; Scotch locks, wire nuts, and even wires twisted together and left bare. If I could replace the whole thing in one fell swoop then it would save a lot of time and aggravation.

Ahhh, I was just curious and it all makes sense now.

I'm not of much help since you are working on an LTD, but I do have an 84 EVTM from Ford that shows the differences between the EEC for the 6 and 8 cyl in the Mustang if that would be of any help. Quick glance at it has it looking really close between the two.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 02-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm not of much help since you are working on an LTD, but I do have an 84 EVTM from Ford that shows the differences between the EEC for the 6 and 8 cyl in the Mustang if that would be of any help. Quick glance at it has it looking really close between the two.
    That would be a big help. I have the '84 LTD EVTM and it doesn't even mention a V8. I guess my biggest concern with the V6 harness is if the wires are long enough to plug into the various sensors on the bigger V8 engine.

At this point I'm not even sure what I have and what all I need.

This is where the EEC harness used to be. There are only about four wires going through the grommet (all spliced and taped up). There is an empty round connector, an empty single-pin connector, a relay, and a two-pin connector that I believe went to the AC pressure switch.

Up by the wiper motor there is another unused round connector. They cut the red wire from this one to power the Duraspark.

On the front of the driver-side strut tower there is a square 5-pin connector (they jammed a green wire into it, I assume for the tach). And an unused single-pin connector.

Down by the horn there is a three-pin connector.

Can anyone help identify these unused connectors?