Close

Question Sail panel question.

I'm curious why it seems that some seem to be painted the color of the car yet others appear to remain the charcoal color of the rest of the trim?

Thanks!

I am not 100% on what causes some of the cars to have painted sails and other to have them trim color. It appears that in the early production years that some of that was based upon actual color chosen and/or just how the factory felt that day as some of the cars had painted cowl trim covers too.

In general I believe the some of the exterior trim packages caused the sails to be painted body color and others did not.

The SVO's all had body color sails as well as the roof rail trim too. The Saleens were ordered with painted sail panels also.

Hopefully Foxchassis will chime in and give us better information than my ramblings.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Never figured it out. Might be able to but it will take some time and diging around.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Never figured it out. Might be able to but it will take some time and diging around.
    WHAT! There is something about the oddities of the Fox Body that you do not know!!!!!

Say it isn't SO!

Well there you have it, even the experts don't have a clue what Ford was up to.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

From the four main colors this is what I remember reading. The sail panels were painted body color by Saleen on the red and white cars. Black and grey remained charcoal as per the factory. The rare colors I am not sure about however the lt blue one I saw here in town had them painted body color as well.
    Last edited by Tigger; 02-03-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    WHAT! There is something about the oddities of the Fox Body that you do not know!!!!!

Say it isn't SO!

Well there you have it, even the experts don't have a clue what Ford was up to.
    HA!! I think Ford doesn't even know what it's up to sometimes! But anyway......

I'm tossing around the idea of creating a Saleen clone using my 85 GT which is Lt Regatta Blue. The only Saleen I have seen that is the color of mine has unpainted sails. Tigger has seen one with painted sails. Yet another mystery.

Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Little View Post
    HA!! I think Ford doesn't even know what it's up to sometimes! But anyway......

I'm tossing around the idea of creating a Saleen clone using my 85 GT which is Lt Regatta Blue. The only Saleen I have seen that is the color of mine has unpainted sails. Tigger has seen one with painted sails. Yet another mystery.

Thanks guys!!
    Now that you mention it, the only 85 Lt Regatta Blue Saleen I have seen had the grey sail panels.

It's your car, do what you like better. Personally the car looks sleeker to me with the painted sails.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Dark blue had unpainted sails.

The lt regatta blue one here is an 86 as it has the Ford parts accessory 3rd brake light under the spoiler.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179