Close

Default Help on cam swap fail

Well did the cam swap. Ranger roller cam (8 plug head 95+) on oval port head.... Machined the followers to fit on valve stem width, now surprise the engine cranks like it had no spark plugs on.. im thinking the valves wont close completely.
    Im thinking there might be differences in the hydraulic lifter, maybe theres a difference that might keep the valve slightly opened? Please any help and inputs would be awesome...
    Yes its on tdc, and yes cam timming mark in place, yes i did compare the cam sprocket they are the same. Yes the dowel pin its in the same position. I did manually rotated the engine and yes all the timming marks lined up. Had to readjust the distributor since the pulley was off by one tooth. Still this would make the engine spin with no compession whatsoever, if anything it would sputter or blow up the carb...

Please any experiences?

I have no experience with this particular swap but if I understand your concern correctly, couldn't you get a free loaner compression tester and check if the valves weren't closing without much time or effort? I believe you just screw it in the spark plug holes and crank over the engine.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I don't know if it will ever work with the 7mm stamped roller followers (machined to fit stems or not) on a 11/32 stem valve. There are differences in geometry between the two heads, and who knows what machining the followers dis to you.

Get a set of the cast roller followers and it should work properly .... I hope you didn't take that advice from the "Route 66 hot rod I have no idea what I'm talking about site" .... Very well documented that nothing on that site is right, and I would pitch in to pay to have it removed from the internet, it's that bad.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I have no experience with this particular swap but if I understand your concern correctly, couldn't you get a free loaner compression tester and check if the valves weren't closing without much time or effort? I believe you just screw it in the spark plug holes and crank over the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    I don't know if it will ever work with the 7mm stamped roller followers (machined to fit stems or not) on a 11/32 stem valve. There are differences in geometry between the two heads, and who knows what machining the followers dis to you.

Get a set of the cast roller followers and it should work properly .... I hope you didn't take that advice from the "Route 66 hot rod I have no idea what I'm talking about site" .... Very well documented that nothing on that site is right, and I would pitch in to pay to have it removed from the internet, it's that bad.
    Thanks. Made it work...
    Well for future refferences..... Yo do need to wide the follower guide to fit the valve stem, you do need to use the 95+ hydraulic lifters as well, they have the same extended lenght but not the same compressed length (hense why valve wont close), you need to fix the valve retainer clearance with the rocker when there is no pressure ( it wont clear the bigger springs) so some time with a dremmel to clear the follower is needed.
    So thats how you can use the ranger 95 + roller cam and followers...
    So that crazy thread somewhere of combining earlier roller cams with more lift and followers with higher ratio doesnt seem imposible or like a bad idea.
    Testing begins... Engine is running stable... Unfortunately my aux shaft and distributor gears got destryed after a few miles. Actually 1 or so, nothing tl do with the swap but was caught trying to find a aux shaft to replace.
    Last edited by Bymguate; 02-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.